• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An Experiment with Intermittent Fasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardheart

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So my girlfriend is out of town at a conference for work and I decided to take the week off work to get some me time in and figured this would be the perfect opportunity to try out IF for serious. I'm not looking to make any giant leaps or bounds in weight loss, I'm just trying to see how I feel.

Things to note:

1. I'll be doing a 20 hour fast
2. I'll be consuming 2 meals, one at the start of the feeding window, and one at the end.
3. My fast window will be from 9pm - 4pm
4. I know that when I don't eat I get grumpy

Day 1: Sunday

1. Last meal was around 9pm on Saturday
2. Woke up @ 5AM to take gf to airport
3. Coffee & pills at 6:30 AM
4. First meal @ 4:30 PM, Chicken Sandwich from BK and Fries and a large Dr. Pepper
5. Second meal @ 8:30 PM, a Double Whopper from BK
6. Overall the feeling during the fast was fucking miserable, my body ached, my mood was poor, everything was agitating

Day 2: Monday

1. Woke up around 11 am, coffee & vitamins soon followed
2. Last meal was at 8:30 PM on Sunday
3. First meal was at 5PM, a Chicken Sandwich from BK
4. Second meal was a smoothie consisting of

a. 2 cups of milk
b. 2 cups of frozen fruit
c. 1 cup of coconut oil
d. 1 cup of plain whole greek yogurt
e. 3 sticks of kale
f. 2 scoops of whey protein

5. Overall feeling was much better, less grumpy, less achy, accidentally went over the fasting period because hunger had subsided

good luck.
As a weird advice i recommend just water for breakfast, coffee and vitamins will cause your stomach to respond with chemical reaction, and with food coming many hours later - that is not desirable.

Try it for yourself - you will see it is easier.

As for feeding window - try eating a big ass salad first and a solid meaty meal at the end - just my 2 cents.

Have fun with it.

I can sort of support what sarumyan said with some caveats. I have found that I can stomach vitamins fine, but if I try to take my fishoil horrible things happen - burps etc. It could also potentially break the fast.

Is this your first IF? Is your feeding window supposed to be 4 pm - 9 pm?

Last edited:
I can sort of support what sarumyan said with some caveats. I have found that I can stomach vitamins fine, but if I try to take my fishoil horrible things happen - burps etc. It could also potentially break the fast.

Is this your first IF? Is your feeding window supposed to be 4 pm - 9 pm?

5pm - 9pm or thereabouts. I'm not trying to be too specific or religious about it. As long as I'm getting 16+ hours of dedicated fasting in I'm not worried.

I know fishoil, fiber, and vitamins technically have calories but my (limited) understanding of things is that they are not enough to break the fast much as BCAAs are not.

Day 3: Tuesday

1. Woke up 11am
2. Last meal was about 9pm previous night
3. Worked out, set 2 PRs
4. Mood was better
5. Had a protein shake @ 4pm
6. Had a post-workout shake @ 8:30PM
7. Had a whataburger @ 10PM

Fudged my feeding window here but I made up for the next day.

Day 4: Wednesday

1. Woke up at about 10 AM
2. Last meal was about 10 PM previous night
3. Mood was good
4. Ate at 6pm
5. Last meal at 9pm

At this point, I can call the experiment concluded. I continued on into Thursday, and stopping the experiment Friday/Sat/Sun. Saturday was really really tough during my squat session working out but I pulled through to get 285 for 2. #2 was ugly but I got that bitch.

I also fasted today to 5pm. So, basically, no food at work. This was very interesting and I was yawning by the end of the day but my mood was fine. I'll be testing the IF this week at work. We'll see how I do. This is also a deload week so this is the best time to test/integrate.

Of note, from the experiment I did do, I lost 5lbs. I haven't really broken below 200lbs in a couple of months. I was 197.3lbs on Saturday and that's after eating a bunch on Friday night and eating Saturday morning, and not having had taken a crap yet.

good luck.
As a weird advice i recommend just water for breakfast, coffee and vitamins will cause your stomach to respond with chemical reaction, and with food coming many hours later - that is not desirable.

Try it for yourself - you will see it is easier.

As for feeding window - try eating a big ass salad first and a solid meaty meal at the end - just my 2 cents.

Have fun with it.

The coffee & pills first thing in the morning would be an exception here. I'm rarely up that early, ever. I had to have the coffee for "breakfast" because otherwise I would have ended up sleeping in my chair. Can't have that.

Experiment over. Can't work like this. Fucking dead by the end of the day. I may experiment with this in the future but for now IF is dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back