Rewatch Anderson Silva vs Tony Fryklund

Anderson looking skinny as hell here.
He was fighting at 170 back then. If he didn't KO Yushin while he was down, we would have seen Jake Shields vs Anderson in the semi finals. This also is further proof that Anderson vs GSP could have been made at a catch weight of 177 if Anderson agreed, but he wanted MW or nothing. I still wish we got that damn fight.

I remember reading an interview where he was saying he was watching Ong Bak and wanted to try that particular elbow in a fight and his coaches just laughed because they thought there was no way it would work in actual live combat. Too bad Anderson doesn't get too caught up in what's "realistic" lmao.
I remember that. Anderson said he had his wife stand on the couch and hold pillows so he could work on it. Did hundreds of reps and it clearly paid off.

Good eye! I can’t think of one earlier than that, but maybe someone else can. I recall seeing Fedor throw something like an oblique kick at Nog in their 3rd fight and wondering if that was the earliest one of those thrown.
Dude wasn't really landing much on the outside prior to that, as Silva was too slick. But that calf kick landed pretty damn easily and pretty hard. Silva was definitely not ready for that next level shit.

One of the best KOs in combat sports history. Imagine getting hit with THAT!

Such a beautiful finish. He had some other dynamic finishes in bigger fights, but this is easily his best finish.

Poor Fryklund…

I feel like everyone had a highlight moment against him…

tonyfryklund.jpg
Cung Le did as well. He should've just starred in kung fu movies so his beatings would be fake.

Is there an earlier documented calf kick than this one done by Fryklund on Silva at 1:58 in the video? Silva looked shook and bum rushed him.
Gerard Gordeau in UFC 1? Looks like he did one around 3:20 but the view is partially blocked by part of the cage. He throws another more standard leg kick then catches Rosier's calf as he lifts up his leg a little later (not sure if that kick was aimed at the calf or thigh). While Gordeau later ruined his reputation with an eye gouge, he had legitimate striking skills (especially for the first UFC) and fought Rosier and later Royce with a broken hand and foot from his first fight. Not many guys would fight in that condition now.

Back