• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

I was just in the market for a new 9mm as well. I went with the Glock 19 with the rough texture frame (which I turned into a smooth texture frame with a fine grit sandpaper).

$500 for the gun
$50 for leather blackhawk holster
$25 for 20 rounds of hydroshock
$300 for lasermax guiderod laser
$100 for Tritium fiber optic tru glo sights
$35 for extended slide and mag release (switch custom fitted to frame)
$75 for tax, shipping, and labor

So for about $1100 I got a nice tricked out Glock with all the cool accessories for the same price as something like an H&K 9mm. The other pistols you listed are nice too. Although if having an extra two rounds is a big deal for you just get a Glock 17 (full size like SR9) instead of a 19 (compact).

You do know that the 19 takes Glock 17 magazines right? Also they both also except 32 round Glock 18 magazines.

I shot all of those when looking for my first pistol and bought a Glock 17. My brother did the same and bought an xd.

All the guns you listed are good guns. Buy the one you like the best as in shoot the best.

Buy the one you like the best as in shoot the best.
best advice in this thread. Of the guns listed, I'll be picking up the M&P9 myself. Shoots really well for me, better than the xd or glock (which shoots horribly for me).

Go to a range that does rentals, try them all out, pick the one you shoot well.

i had a Springfield xd 45 compact it was a great and very comfortable only thing is some people hate on the grip safety and the way you disassemble it

just research research research and actually feel the gun and if you can fire it its like buying a car

best advice in this thread. Of the guns listed, I'll be picking up the M&P9 myself. Shoots really well for me, better than the xd or glock (which shoots horribly for me).

Go to a range that does rentals, try them all out, pick the one you shoot well.

People spend way too much time arguing over glock's, xd's, m&p's and rugers. It's like arguing over getting a camry or an accord.

I appreciate everyones responses. When I finally save enough I will post pictures or a shooting video or something.
Is there a reason he SR9 is getting less love than the Glock and M&P?

And yes I read that the SR9 was recalled because if you dropped it a certain way there was a chance it could fire. I think I read the the sr9s that have the glock-like trigger are the new ones, I'm assuming that the first sr9's didn't have the trigger safety?

-----
Edit: Recall was in 2008. What the fuck were they thinking? How did they not figure that if you dropped that it could fire...

I'm still considering the sr9 haha

I appreciate everyones responses. When I finally save enough I will post pictures or a shooting video or something.
Is there a reason he SR9 is getting less love than the Glock and M&P?
And yes I read that the SR9 was recalled because if you dropped it a certain way there was a chance it could fire. I think I read the the sr9s that have the glock-like trigger are the new ones, I'm assuming that the first sr9's didn't have the trigger safety?

-----
Edit: Recall was in 2008. What the fuck were they thinking? How did they not figure that if you dropped that it could fire...

I'm still considering the sr9 haha

While i've never really cared much for Rugers, their quality has been suspect lately, its seem like every other model they release ends up being recalled for one reason or another.

Also, while there are ALOT of departments/militarys that use the Glock 17/19, Sig P226/8, and HK USPs and some police departments that issue the M&P. I would be very surprised if you found more than a handfull of deparments that issue the SR9.

That should tell you something.

While i've never really cared much for Rugers, their quality has been suspect lately, its seem like every other model they release ends up being recalled for one reason or another.

Also, while there are ALOT of departments/militarys that use the Glock 17/19, Sig P226/8, and HK USPs and some police departments that issue the M&P. I would be very surprised if you found more than a handfull of deparments that issue the SR9.

That should tell you something.

I'm sure there's some politics at play as far as police/military...
Throughout the past couple day's I've leaned from m&p to sr9 to glock, haha. I'm sure buying a pistol really isn't that big of a deal for most people, but saving money is tough right now and being my first handgun I want to make sure I spend as much time as neccessary researching.

I'm sure there's some politics at play as far as police/military...
Throughout the past couple day's I've leaned from m&p to sr9 to glock, haha. I'm sure buying a pistol really isn't that big of a deal for most people, but saving money is tough right now and being my first handgun I want to make sure I spend as much time as neccessary researching.

You're doing the right thing, your're about to spend about $550 (more or less), which is alot of hard earned money.

ar15.com has awesome technical forums (though the GD is full of idiots, much like the heavies are here,) and there are alot of helpfull posters/members with tons of experience. I recommend checking it out if you can.

As for a source to buy from: Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

Dude that runs the site has the best prices i've seen, hands down.

Also, to futher muddy the waters, ever handle a CZ75? :icon_chee

You're doing the right thing, your're about to spend about $550 (more or less), which is alot of hard earned money.

ar15.com has awesome technical forums (though the GD is full of idiots, much like the heavies are here,) and there are alot of helpfull posters/members with tons of experience. I recommend checking it out if you can.

As for a source to buy from: Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

Dude that runs the site has the best prices i've seen, hands down.

Also, to futher muddy the waters, ever handle a CZ75? :icon_chee

I live in Las Vegas there is a gun shop every couple miles as soon as I'm totally sure exactly what I want I'm pretty sure finding a local deal won't be too hard. I also can try almost any popular handgun at the range, $25 for 25rds... I'm not sure if this is a good price, but I consider it affordable and fair for deciding what pistol I want to use for the next year.

If you want a gun that will go bang every time under adverse conditions then get the Glock or M&P. Glock and M&P are the two most reliable semi-auto pistols on the market IMO. If you don't believe me look up the numerous torture tests Glocks and M&Ps have been put through and performed admirably, when almost any other pistol on the market fails in less strenuous testing.

Realistically if you keep your gun clean and don't have a ridiculous round count or subject it to harsh conditions, any gun in that price range will perform very well. If you want to go bang every time no matter what, a Glock or M&P is what you want. For me to trust a gun with my life and the life of my loved ones, reliability is the most important factor.

So far I have about 2000 rounds through my M&P9 without a single malfunction of any kind. The last 1000 have been without cleaning(I plan to not clean it at all and see how far I can take it). 2000 rounds is hardly any kind of meaningful test, but this is my personal experience. I trust this pistol with my life.

I was looking at Glocks before I got the M&P, but I decided against it because I do not shoot as well with them, also I am 6'2" with larger than average hands and I have to shift my grip to hit the magazine release. I don't like that.

Last edited:
People spend way too much time arguing over glock's, xd's, m&p's and rugers. It's like arguing over getting a camry or an accord.
Yeah, I don't get it to be honest. I'd love to say the glock shot well so I could be in the club, but I'm not gonna buy something I can't shoot for shit cause it's "cool".

Buy what works for you.

You say the XDs have too many models and it confuses you but you want to go with a glock? Shenanigans I say sir. XD has the subcompact 3", duty 4", and tactical 5", each in 9mm 40 and 45. Thats it. The XDms are a completely separate series of guns.

I would recommend the XDms over the XDs but they are a little more expensive, like $530ish. In my opinion XDms out shoot the XDs, and XDs outshoot everything else you just listed. My stock XDm 9mm outshoots my $2,500 nighthawk custom 1911. Thats saying something.

My stock XDm 9mm outshoots my $2,500 nighthawk custom 1911. Thats saying something.

I don't believe it til you let me shoot both of them. :p

A well done 1911 is pretty dang hard to beat for a semi-auto pistol when it comes to accuracy/shootability.

You sure you ain't flinching?

TS, I know you like the 9mm, but if it's gonna be a handgun, my advice is to get a manstopper - a .45. For home defense (or any defense), don't ever go lightweight. Keep in mind, said intruder might be armed, too - and he won't be concerned about background awareness.

Also, a shotgun is great for home defense because when you rack that mutha, the intruder knows his death is next on the agenda (even if he can't see you) and, unlike a pistol round, which will go through walls/ceilings/framing and might end up taking out one of your own in another room, the shot embeds in walls (and blows heads off). A wall is replaceable.

You sure you ain't flinching?

LoL reminds me about my father

we shoot skeets quite often and my father couldn't hit shit, he claimed the barrel was crooked, then me and my bro used his old shottie and it worked fine

My XDM 9 3.8 is incredibly accurate. I love the break of the trigger. It's just perfect for me. To each his own, but my xdm 9 is my "go to war" pistol if I ever have to choose between any of my handguns that I own and have owned in the past.

While I prefer .45's, there really isn't much difference between 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP as far as ballistics tests/penetration.

TS, I know you like the 9mm, but if it's gonna be a handgun, my advice is to get a manstopper - a .45. For home defense (or any defense), don't ever go lightweight. Keep in mind, said intruder might be armed, too - and he won't be concerned about background awareness.

Also, a shotgun is great for home defense because when you rack that mutha, the intruder knows his death is next on the agenda (even if he can't see you) and, unlike a pistol round, which will go through walls/ceilings/framing and might end up taking out one of your own in another room, the shot embeds in walls (and blows heads off). A wall is replaceable.

Back