Media Anthony Smith - not take on Alex Pereira - “some things have just fallen his way”

But yet I never hear anyone talking about how terrible of a grappler Izzy is. He actually ran the gauntlet at MW as a pro kickboxer crossover with no real grappling pedigree, which only proves that there’s not really any dominant grapplers in that division. Alex was fast tracked, but he wasn’t protected. There simply were no “unfavorable” matchups for him. If you disagree, then tell me who they were?
Izzy is an awful grappler. People only bring up Alex's deficiences because of his fans constantly glazing him 24/7, another poster on here said that Alex beats Prime Fedor.....

Also, when did I say Alex was protected? I even acknowledged that it was not his fault that strikers are at the top of the division....

Geriatric Jan and he won that fight by a hair...Jan's legit the only grappler that he faced.

Jan gassed out after trying to grapple AP for one round. His rnc attempt wasn’t even close. Go ahead and rewatch it. I just did.

This is what we call “moving the goal post”. You couldn’t produce a name, so you went with a retired guy from another era. The answer is, there were no unfavorable matchups that AP was shielded from. In hindsight, Sean was actually the toughest test they could have given him. Sean went on to actually win the strap, something that Marvin, Hermannsen, Costa, Cannonier, etc. could not, and will never do.
"moving the goal post"... I didn't ever claim that he was shielded from anybody or anything. I just said the "timing" worked out that he entered the ufc when it was striker dominant. It seems like you just wanna argue....

him not fighting a grappler isn't really "falling his way" there's not much grapplers in MW or LHW. the real part that fell his way is fighting for the LHW title and his 1st defense coming against guys who had bad injuries and coming off huge layoffs.

Yea u right about that. I still think Ankalaev is the best LHW in the world, but if Alex can beat him, there won’t really be much else to say.

Geriatric Jan and he won that fight by a hair...Jan's legit the only grappler that he faced.

Oh, so Jan is a grappler now?

Well what about Michalidis? He started as wreslter and is a gracie BJJ black belt.

He did pretty well controlling Alex, but Alex survived and KOd.

Gonna laugh if Alex KOs Ank and watch everyone say that Ank can't grapple as well.

"moving the goal post"... I didn't ever claim that he was shielded from anybody or anything. I just said the "timing" worked out that he entered the ufc when it was striker dominant. It seems like you just wanna argue....

This guy crosses over to the premier MMA league in the world as a career kickboxer, faces and beats guys like Strickland, Izzy, Jan, and Hill (champions all, 3 by KO), and you choose to characterize it as “things falling his way”. It’s just a shit take and I don’t want to let you off the hook for it. It’s reasonable to say that there aren’t really any dominant grapplers at MW or LHW in this era, but anything more is just hating.

This guy crosses over to the premier MMA league in the world as a career kickboxer, faces and beats guys like Strickland, Izzy, Jan, and Hill (champions all, 3 by KO), and you choose to characterize it as “things falling his way”. It’s just a shit take and I don’t want to let you off the hook for it. It’s reasonable to say that there aren’t really any dominant grapplers at MW or LHW in this era, but anything more is just hating.
poor choice of words, i concede.

Smith is one of saltiest most unlikeable fighters ever … guy always so condescending

“Alex good at one thing and mediocre at best at everything else”

Well he a bjj black belt too so it shows he’s at least trying to improve and learn other things aswell … but why change styles when your striking is what got you to the dance .

WTF is Izzy … also just a good striker … with far less power …. He can’t be more than “mediocre at everything else” …. On paper Alex is better than Izzy at everything. … but I never heard anyone call Izzy mediocre at best … everyone just grasping at straws trying to hate or find a flaw

Smiths a clown and a douche … and an idiot !

Stylistically, its been convenient for him to beat strikers but its not neccesarily his fault that the timing added up. Short answer: yes.
Imagine if Perera was split decisioning instead of stopping people the way he has been doing

What’s bad about his TDD?
He's never faced a legit wrestler and still gets taken down. Izzy, Jiri and Bruno Silva. 41 year old Jan still had him down all 3 rounds despite being completely gassed from the high altitude, and isn't exactly known for being a great wrestler.

I hope Petrino beats the shit out of smith next weekend.

The same Smith who said that Jon Jones is not elite at anything

Jon is elite at taking PEDs.

You can all shit on Smith but he won against Spann three times - last one was yesterday.

But to be serious I now want Guskov vs Smith to see first ever mirror match in UFC <{titihmm}>

Back