Media Anthony Smith - not take on Alex Pereira - “some things have just fallen his way”

him not fighting a grappler isn't really "falling his way" there's not much grapplers in MW or LHW. the real part that fell his way is fighting for the LHW title and his 1st defense coming against guys who had bad injuries and coming off huge layoffs.

There don't have to be a ton of grapplers. Just one would have been nice before he even got a title shot, and there was a perfect candidate in Brunson as that was the same test Izzy got. Other than that, Rob, Vettori, Hermanson, even Paulo all had more grappling skills than anybody Alex had faced to "earn" his titleshot.

This whole there are (almost) no grapplers at MW like people like to repeat to defend the blatant protecting of Alex is just really silly.

Oh, so Jan is a grappler now?

Well what about Michalidis? He started as wreslter and is a gracie BJJ black belt.

He did pretty well controlling Alex, but Alex survived and KOd.

Gonna laugh if Alex KOs Ank and watch everyone say that Ank can't grapple as well.
"Ank fought dumb and didn't use his grappling"

In Smith's win streak leading to the Jones title shot, two out of his three wins were against washed up versions of Rashad and Shogun....
The Volkan win was huge for him though, he was the second guy after DC to beat him. I'm not gonna hate on the guy for his title shot but that stretch was the highlight of his career. He should have taken the DQ.

The Volkan win was huge for him though, he was the second guy after DC to beat him. I'm not gonna hate on the guy for his title shot but that stretch was the highlight of his career. He should have taken the DQ.
Yeah I should of at least credited him there, but I was sorta trying to compare his three fight win streak to Pereira's leading to their title shots.
Pereira beat two lower level guys and then got a big jump to fight Sean, Smith got two lower level guys(former champs, just super washed) and then got a big jump in Oezdemir.

It's just kinda odd he's calling out Pereira for some of the matchmaking he's been put it when he's also had some favorable circumstances happen to him too leading to his own shot.
Both divisions at that period we're also lacking contenders for the champion(Jones and Izzy) so guys having to do less work to get a shot made sense at the time since the champs already fought everyone else.

He's never faced a legit wrestler and still gets taken down. Izzy, Jiri and Bruno Silva. 41 year old Jan still had him down all 3 rounds despite being completely gassed from the high altitude, and isn't exactly known for being a great wrestler.
Okay but what specifically is he doing wrong with his TDD? You apparently are a grappling expert, i’d like to learn

Remember when Smith was like "I got nothing against Alex, don't know why he is so mad at me"?

Poatan saw right through his bullshit from the start <mma4>

Okay but what specifically is he doing wrong with his TDD? You apparently are a grappling expert, i’d like to learn
Specifically he's getting taken down by opponents who normally wouldn't be able to take down anybody with good TDD, to be specific.

Dude has 2 Glory KB belts and ppl want him to flying gogoplata fools lol
All he needs to do is not get subbed and have enough gas on the tank to go for the next left hook when he gets up.

Funny because Smith is mediocre everywhere.

Specifically he's getting taken down by opponents who normally wouldn't be able to take down anybody with good TDD, to be specific.
Jan??? You think Jan can’t take people down? ??

Izzy was small, but he has excellent TDD and has spent time training in some of the toughest rooms in the world. Jan took him down easily. Jan’s got a great single leg and high crotch.

So you have no actual analysis on Alex’s grappling except “he’s been taken down”. Dude, everyone has. What are we even doing here?

There don't have to be a ton of grapplers. Just one would have been nice before he even got a title shot, and there was a perfect candidate in Brunson as that was the same test Izzy got. Other than that, Rob, Vettori, Hermanson, even Paulo all had more grappling skills than anybody Alex had faced to "earn" his titleshot.

This whole there are (almost) no grapplers at MW like people like to repeat to defend the blatant protecting of Alex is just really silly.

see, i don't count Rob or Paulo as grapplers. i count them as strikers who COULD grapple. Hermansson is a grappler but he's not strong or really good at takedowns. Vettori is the only one but i doubt he'd shoot a takedown without first testing the striking. even Brunson sucks. when i say grappler i mean a guy whose main strategy is to get you on the ground and grind away. like all of those guys COULD grapple Pereira, but i also can see them getting ktfo before even trying to grapple. if you count all those guys as grapplers then Pereira did face a grappler, Strickland. but just like Strickland i think a lot of those guys wouldn't start the fight off with a bunch of takedown pressure.

i want to see him vs someone who is like Cain in the 2nd JDS fight who do not care about ego striking with him or care about how exciting the fight is, all they want to do is win and will threaten the takedowns early and often. there isn't really anyone like that at MW and LHW. the best grappler at LHW, Ankalaev, has explicitly said he wouldn't take him down. it's because of stupid shit like that is why Pereira never got tested in the grappling. Strickland could've done that. he could've got the clinch and made it tough. he could've tried to drag him down to the ground, but he did none of that he just stood there and tried to kickbox him.

the other part is Pereira left MW when DDP became champion and i think DDP would've tried to take him down.

at this point, anthony has gotta be playing into this parody of himself he's becoming.

Stylistically, its been convenient for him to beat strikers but its not neccesarily his fault that the timing added up. Short answer: yes.

Agree. I love his style , but we all have to be honest about what we've seen about his ground game. He is very lucky he's face mainly strikers.(Strikers who took him down lol)

They older they get the more delusional they get. They don't realise they have diminished. Now it's luck.

see, i don't count Rob or Paulo as grapplers. i count them as strikers who COULD grapple. Hermansson is a grappler but he's not strong or really good at takedowns. Vettori is the only one but i doubt he'd shoot a takedown without first testing the striking. even Brunson sucks. when i say grappler i mean a guy whose main strategy is to get you on the ground and grind away. like all of those guys COULD grapple Pereira, but i also can see them getting ktfo before even trying to grapple. if you count all those guys as grapplers then Pereira did face a grappler, Strickland. but just like Strickland i think a lot of those guys wouldn't start the fight off with a bunch of takedown pressure.

i want to see him vs someone who is like Cain in the 2nd JDS fight who do not care about ego striking with him or care about how exciting the fight is, all they want to do is win and will threaten the takedowns early and often. there isn't really anyone like that at MW and LHW. the best grappler at LHW, Ankalaev, has explicitly said he wouldn't take him down. it's because of stupid shit like that is why Pereira never got tested in the grappling. Strickland could've done that. he could've got the clinch and made it tough. he could've tried to drag him down to the ground, but he did none of that he just stood there and tried to kickbox him.

the other part is Pereira left MW when DDP became champion and i think DDP would've tried to take him down.

Brunson sucks, but so does Pereira's grappling, especially when he was still making his way to the first Izzy fight. It definitely would be a winnable fight for Pereira, but obviously the UFC didn't want to risk it. It would have still been better than no grappler at all.

I think Rob learned his lesson from the first Izzy fight to not try to just stand up witha guy at that level. So I don't think he'd pull a Strickland. Hermanson would definitely be the weakest choice.
I could also see Paulo going for a more grappling heavy plan. He also learned from his Izzy fight and Alex is much more willing to engage than Izzy is, which would make a grappling plan more viable.

They chose Strickland because they knew he would pull a Strickland, or at least they had a very strong suspicion. I don't see it as much of a guarantee that all the other guys would let their egos (that is not actually the right word, though society uses it that way so I'm going with it now, for convenience)/pride take over. Jan didn't and the dude is a champion kickbokser. Jamahal is much less experienced than the other guys, except for Paulo. But Jamahal has much more stopping power in his hands than Paulo. So the allure of just landing that one big punch is much bigger for Jamahal, than Paulo. Dude was overconfident because he also got his title shot too early and his only loss came to Graig, which is easy for fans and fighters to dismiss as a fluke, lol. So the dude was just feeling himself a bit too much. All the other guys have had enough setbacks to be a bit more realistic with their flaws and weaknesses

And of course I would love to see him vs a real beast grappler like Chimaev on fucking Brock's lifetime of PED cycles lol. (Not seriously, of course. I don't want to destroy Chimaev's body lol) . But there were enough guys who on paper could pose real grappling challenges. But they didn't go with those guys, so in that way things fell his way.

As for Ank, I think there is a big chance he is just bluffing to lure Alex and the UFC into a false sense of security. Remember, he still has to convince the UFC, too, that they need to give him the shot.

Last edited:
If he was so awful at grappling he wouldn't have survived Jan and then won the fight.

Jan got wrestled by Patrick Cummins.
Jan is not a good grappler.

Jan got wrestled by Patrick Cummins.
Jan is not a good grappler.

Pat was a good grappler.

By your logic, DC got outgrappled by Jones, therefore DC was not a good grappler.

Jan??? You think Jan can’t take people down? ??

Izzy was small, but he has excellent TDD and has spent time training in some of the toughest rooms in the world. Jan took him down easily. Jan’s got a great single leg and high crotch.

So you have no actual analysis on Alex’s grappling except “he’s been taken down”. Dude, everyone has. What are we even doing here?
Bringing up a completely gassed out 40 year old Jan, who isn't known for his wrestling, and who took down Alex all 3 rounds isn't helping your case.

Not sure what's so difficult for you. He's been taken down by every opponent other than Strickland (who never attempted a takedown), and hasn't even faced anybody known for their MMA wrestling, yet you're up in arms about somebody mentioning his TDD hasn't been good.

So give me some actual analysis as to why Alex has good TDD. I'd love to learn. Maybe Nick and Nate Diaz have good TDD too and I'm just missing something.

Last edited:
Back