"Antiglycolytic" training

Yeah it's an instinct 2 so hopefully it's got those bells and whistles. I must have missed those suggestions or was put off by the price but I'm considering it an investment at this point.

It will definitely have that stuff - pretty much all mid range and higher Polar and Garmin watches have had that for at least 10 years. HRV (heart rate variability) is the relatively new metric that newer models come with, and even my Polar V800 that came out 10 years ago tells you your recovery state, although it doesn't quantify it into a metric like the newer algorithm apparently does.

But even if you had a model from 20 years ago that only tells you your HR in real time, that would be a huge benefit over training without a HR monitor to track your progress and fitness level.

Only reason I want a HR is for MMA/BJJ training. I did MMA sparring rounds last night and it's basically telling me my recovery is dead today. It would be good to have that training session tracked to see why.

+1

The only reason I haven't gotten a newer Polar is because I do a lot more grappling than running these days, and I haven't found a good way to track HR during BJJ/wrestling. I've tried both the chest strap and a forearm band and both get detached and messed up during rolling. The best I've seen - and I may try it, as the HR monitor by Whoop. It's a regular HR monitor but also sells accessories like spandex boxer briefs that hold the sensor in the waistband. One of the other wrestling dads I train with used it during the last wrestling class and he said it got a good read on his HR data. Also, one of the BJJ dads I talk to has the Whoop armband sleeve that holds the sensor and he says it works great rolling both gi and no gi. But I'm kinda pissed Polar hasn't come out with an arm sleeve like that because I've been using the Polar interface for almost 20 years.

Last edited:
Damn the solar one is like $100 more than mine lol. Do they sell replacement bands?
Yeah mate, grabbed one off Amazon or somewhere like that for a great price. I bought the solar because I liked the previous model so much I was willing to spend the money. I also got it on a good sale.

+1

The only reason I haven't gotten a newer Polar is because I do a lot more grappling than running these days, and I haven't found a good way to track HR during BJJ/wrestling. I've tried both the chest strap and a forearm band and both get detached and messed up during rolling. The best I've seen - and I may try it, as the HR monitor by Whoop. It's a regular HR monitor but also sells accessories like spandex boxer briefs that hold the sensor in the waistband. One of the other wrestling dads I train with used it during the last wrestling class and he said it got a good read on his HR data. Also, one of the BJJ dads I talk to has the Whoop armband sleeve that holds the sensor and he says it works great rolling both gi and no gi. But I'm kinda Polar hasn't come out with an arm sleeve like that because I've been using the Polar interface for almost 20 years.
Heaps of guys use different options at my gym from HR, Arm strap and even the oura ring.
I reckon I could pull off a chest strap and I do rate garmin above the others. Nice tight rashguard should prevent any issues for me atleast. I swear polar is the main armband one I have seen.
That paired with a long sleeve rashguard with a padded cover. I had a google and couldn't find the one I was talking about.

Heaps of guys use different options at my gym from HR, Arm strap and even the oura ring.
I reckon I could pull off a chest strap and I do rate garmin above the others. Nice tight rashguard should prevent any issues for me atleast. I swear polar is the main armband one I have seen.
That paired with a long sleeve rashguard with a padded cover. I had a google and couldn't find the one I was talking about.

One of my buddies swears by his Garmin but AFAIC Garmin and Polar are the iPhone and Android of HR monitors and it comes down to personal preference. Both Garmin and Polar offer an armband sensor but it's just a strap that looks like the Scosche Rhythm+ armband I'm using now. That thing works great on runs but during rolls it slides around and loses contact frequently when under my gi. It's also knobby and annoying.

The whoop armband is a sleeve that maintains contact and doesn't move around at all during rolls:

1714615660603.png

1714615696213.png

But of course Whoop requires a subscription, like Oura which is annoying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back