"Antiglycolytic" training

Yeah it's an instinct 2 so hopefully it's got those bells and whistles. I must have missed those suggestions or was put off by the price but I'm considering it an investment at this point.

It will definitely have that stuff - pretty much all mid range and higher Polar and Garmin watches have had that for at least 10 years. HRV (heart rate variability) is the relatively new metric that newer models come with, and even my Polar V800 that came out 10 years ago tells you your recovery state, although it doesn't quantify it into a metric like the newer algorithm apparently does.

But even if you had a model from 20 years ago that only tells you your HR in real time, that would be a huge benefit over training without a HR monitor to track your progress and fitness level.

Only reason I want a HR is for MMA/BJJ training. I did MMA sparring rounds last night and it's basically telling me my recovery is dead today. It would be good to have that training session tracked to see why.

+1

The only reason I haven't gotten a newer Polar is because I do a lot more grappling than running these days, and I haven't found a good way to track HR during BJJ/wrestling. I've tried both the chest strap and a forearm band and both get detached and messed up during rolling. The best I've seen - and I may try it, as the HR monitor by Whoop. It's a regular HR monitor but also sells accessories like spandex boxer briefs that hold the sensor in the waistband. One of the other wrestling dads I train with used it during the last wrestling class and he said it got a good read on his HR data. Also, one of the BJJ dads I talk to has the Whoop armband sleeve that holds the sensor and he says it works great rolling both gi and no gi. But I'm kinda pissed Polar hasn't come out with an arm sleeve like that because I've been using the Polar interface for almost 20 years.

Last edited:
Damn the solar one is like $100 more than mine lol. Do they sell replacement bands?
Yeah mate, grabbed one off Amazon or somewhere like that for a great price. I bought the solar because I liked the previous model so much I was willing to spend the money. I also got it on a good sale.

+1

The only reason I haven't gotten a newer Polar is because I do a lot more grappling than running these days, and I haven't found a good way to track HR during BJJ/wrestling. I've tried both the chest strap and a forearm band and both get detached and messed up during rolling. The best I've seen - and I may try it, as the HR monitor by Whoop. It's a regular HR monitor but also sells accessories like spandex boxer briefs that hold the sensor in the waistband. One of the other wrestling dads I train with used it during the last wrestling class and he said it got a good read on his HR data. Also, one of the BJJ dads I talk to has the Whoop armband sleeve that holds the sensor and he says it works great rolling both gi and no gi. But I'm kinda Polar hasn't come out with an arm sleeve like that because I've been using the Polar interface for almost 20 years.
Heaps of guys use different options at my gym from HR, Arm strap and even the oura ring.
I reckon I could pull off a chest strap and I do rate garmin above the others. Nice tight rashguard should prevent any issues for me atleast. I swear polar is the main armband one I have seen.
That paired with a long sleeve rashguard with a padded cover. I had a google and couldn't find the one I was talking about.

Heaps of guys use different options at my gym from HR, Arm strap and even the oura ring.
I reckon I could pull off a chest strap and I do rate garmin above the others. Nice tight rashguard should prevent any issues for me atleast. I swear polar is the main armband one I have seen.
That paired with a long sleeve rashguard with a padded cover. I had a google and couldn't find the one I was talking about.

One of my buddies swears by his Garmin but AFAIC Garmin and Polar are the iPhone and Android of HR monitors and it comes down to personal preference. Both Garmin and Polar offer an armband sensor but it's just a strap that looks like the Scosche Rhythm+ armband I'm using now. That thing works great on runs but during rolls it slides around and loses contact frequently when under my gi. It's also knobby and annoying.

The whoop armband is a sleeve that maintains contact and doesn't move around at all during rolls:

1714615660603.png

1714615696213.png

But of course Whoop requires a subscription, like Oura which is annoying.

Last edited:
One of my buddies swears by his Garmin but AFAIC Garmin and Polar are the iPhone and Android of HR monitors and it comes down to personal preference. Both Garmin and Polar offer an armband sensor but it's just a strap that looks like the Scosche Rhythm+ armband I'm using now. That thing works great on runs but during rolls it slides around and loses contact frequently when under my gi. It's also knobby and annoying.

The whoop armband is a sleeve that maintains contact and doesn't move around at all during rolls:

View attachment 1042003

View attachment 1042004

But of course Whoop requires a subscription, like Oura which is annoying.
I swear I saw a polar version of that. That's what I mean when I say people at my gym use and armband. About the only time it sucks is during a crossface, but that's just extra motivation.

I swear I saw a polar version of that. That's what I mean when I say people at my gym use and armband. About the only time it sucks is during a crossface, but that's just extra motivation.

The Polar armband is just a nylon strap that holds the sensor and you wear it on your forearm or upper arm. The Garmin version looks the same. The Scosche Rhythm+ that I use for runs is the same form factor and that thing slides all around during a hard roll and I have to constantly re-adjust it. I wore it to class a few months ago and it recorded the warm ups and drills just fine, but had gaps during my easy rolls and was offline for the entire round while I was getting my ass handed to me by the resident BB bully.

1714657302594.png

Dude if this 30 min jog/run/walk thing is all I've needed for weight loss, I'm selling 80% of my home gym.

Dude if this 30 min jog/run/walk thing is all I've needed for weight loss, I'm selling 80% of my home gym.

Weightloss is predominantly diet, but your body will make itself better at what you make it do. If it needs to run further, an easy way to achieve that is to drop some mass.

Think of the old classic pyramid example.
LSS work or cardio(30-90min runs are the base) and the higher it is, the higher everything else can go.
Strength training is the next layer and is still very important for bone strength and being strong makes everything else easier.
Then people usually put strength endurance next, with Power and interval stuff on the top.

I have a reasonably well home equipped gym and 80% of my training is run based and barbell based/dumbell based strength work.
I wouldn't be selling the gym yet, but you could do worse than run 2-3x a week and lift weight 2-3 x a week. it's basically the general training template for strength and conditioning these days.

The issue is you can't sell running as a product like you can a kettlebell for example.

Weightloss is predominantly diet, but your body will make itself better at what you make it do. If it needs to run further, an easy way to achieve that is to drop some mass.

Think of the old classic pyramid example.
LSS work or cardio(30-90min runs are the base) and the higher it is, the higher everything else can go.
Strength training is the next layer and is still very important for bone strength and being strong makes everything else easier.
Then people usually put strength endurance next, with Power and interval stuff on the top.

I have a reasonably well home equipped gym and 80% of my training is run based and barbell based/dumbell based strength work.
I wouldn't be selling the gym yet, but you could do worse than run 2-3x a week and lift weight 2-3 x a week. it's basically the general training template for strength and conditioning these days.

The issue is you can't sell running as a product like you can a kettlebell for example.
This is likely better for calorie burn than any EMOM or interval stuff I was doing with clubs and kettlebells

Do they make a small arm band tracker? I can't stand the watch or chest style. They don't sit still, in way of bars or bags pull them off, bells bang against it. Becomes more of an obsession to watch step count that to do fitness that doesn't involve moving around.

Do they make a small arm band tracker? I can't stand the watch or chest style. They don't sit still, in way of bars or bags pull them off, bells bang against it. Becomes more of an obsession to watch step count that to do fitness that doesn't involve moving around.
I only use mine for steady state work or run intervals. Once you start doing stuff with your arms they aren't accurate enough.

I always wondered if you could just put one of these over an armband sensor to be honest. That paired with a long sleeve rashguard or compression shirt should do the job for everything.

Yeah mate, grabbed one off Amazon or somewhere like that for a great price. I bought the solar because I liked the previous model so much I was willing to spend the money. I also got it on a good sale.
This thing calculated my vo2 max without me even working out. Seems sketchy.

The regular arm band sensor (that fits on your upper forearm or upper arm) stays on pretty well for most strength work, much better than the chest strap anyway. But I agree with @maximus__ that wearing a HR sensor only makes sense for steady state cardio work. I used to wear mine while lifting weights and my HR data was pointless other than as a curiosity. Like heavy sets of bench press would register as a 30 second blip spiking around 140 bpm and heavy DL would get to around 160 bpm. But that wasn't meaningful because it wasn't my cardio system that was being taxed.

It will update your calculated V02 max after each workout. I wouldn't get too fixated on the number - it's an approximation based on an algorithm that should be representative. But changes in that number over time will indicate changes in your cardio fitness level.

It will update your calculated V02 max after each workout. I wouldn't get too fixated on the number - it's an approximation based on an algorithm that should be representative. But changes in that number over time will indicate changes in your cardio fitness level.
I jogged 2.75 miles in 39 mins, said I was on an elliptical lol I guess my stroke is that mechanical heart rate was between 120 and 140 the whole time

I jogged 2.75 miles in 39 mins, said I was on an elliptical lol I guess my stroke is that mechanical heart rate was between 120 and 140 the whole time

Wait, you can't manually input the mode of exercise? From what I've seen, I thought Garmin worked the same as Polar where you have to tell it you're doing running, biking, elliptical or whatever. It uses a different algorithm for each form of exercise. I know my buddy's whoop tracker has a category for "wrestling," that he uses to track his BJJ sessions.

Then don't trust it until you spend some time training with it. I use the HR etc as a guide.
If I listened to it with HRV etc, I would never get to train except in my recovery weeks.

It's just an algorithm that is guesstimated based on your personal data submitted to garmin and a sustained period of activity.
Do you think it's correct haha? Jump in a lab and do the proper test and tell me what the result is.

Wait, you can't manually input the mode of exercise? From what I've seen, I thought Garmin worked the same as Polar where you have to tell it you're doing running, biking, elliptical or whatever. It uses a different algorithm for each form of exercise. I know my buddy's whoop tracker has a category for "wrestling," that he uses to track his BJJ sessions.
I haven't figured out how to do all that yet

Back