"Antiglycolytic" training

Then don't trust it until you spend some time training with it. I use the HR etc as a guide.
If I listened to it with HRV etc, I would never get to train except in my recovery weeks.

It's just an algorithm that is guesstimated based on your personal data submitted to garmin and a sustained period of activity.
Do you think it's correct haha? Jump in a lab and do the proper test and tell me what the result is.
Yes I highly doubt my VO2 max is 34

Yes I highly doubt my VO2 max is 34

Do you by any chance fit into the 26-35 age category or older? It will probably chuck you there until you do a few weeks of sessions unless your RHR is in the 40s to 50s.

Do you by any chance fit into the 26-35 age category or older? It will probably chuck you there until you do a few weeks of sessions unless your RHR is in the 40s to 50s.
Yeah I'm 36. Isn't resting heart rate in the 40s like professional athlete territory?

Yeah I'm 36. Isn't resting heart rate in the 40s like professional athlete territory?
Garmin reckons mine is 47 and that puts me in the top 25% of that age category.

Google says 60+ for good athlete and 70+ for elite.

VO2 max values in an average adult are around 30-45 millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute. But in elite endurance athletes, VO2 max increases to 65-80 ml/kg/min.

Garmin put you on the low end of male untrained athlete.

Garmin reckons mine is 47 and that puts me in the top 25% of that age category.

Google says 60+ for good athlete and 70+ for elite.

VO2 max values in an average adult are around 30-45 millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute. But in elite endurance athletes, VO2 max increases to 65-80 ml/kg/min.

Garmin put you on the low end of male untrained athlete.
I gotta train with it a bit. Last night was my first cardio session with it. I took it on a hike the day prior but that wasn't very strenuous.

Wait, you can't manually input the mode of exercise? From what I've seen, I thought Garmin worked the same as Polar where you have to tell it you're doing running, biking, elliptical or whatever. It uses a different algorithm for each form of exercise. I know my buddy's whoop tracker has a category for "wrestling," that he uses to track his BJJ sessions.
Yes you can. I have everything set up in profiles with run even being separate to trail run and track work.

I upload my intervals and everything to it because my local track with known distances is being reno'd.

It's basically a budget Fenix without the over the top features.

The regular arm band sensor (that fits on your upper forearm or upper arm) stays on pretty well for most strength work, much better than the chest strap anyway. But I agree with @maximus__ that wearing a HR sensor only makes sense for steady state cardio work. I used to wear mine while lifting weights and my HR data was pointless other than as a curiosity. Like heavy sets of bench press would register as a 30 second blip spiking around 140 bpm and heavy DL would get to around 160 bpm. But that wasn't meaningful because it wasn't my cardio system that was being taxed.
It was out of 50% curiosity and 50% we get $600 discount on medical benefits if we register steps with Motion Connected app. But I don't wear accessories so keeping that thing on was a major pain. Then it was in the way constantly, so off it went. There are people with desk jobs who never get near a gym that were registering higher step counts on the company list. Fk this <KhabibBS>

Yes you can. I have everything set up in profiles with run even being separate to trail run and track work.

I upload my intervals and everything to it because my local track with known distances is being reno'd.

It's basically a budget Fenix without the over the top features.

Got it, I do the same with my Polar. My buddy has the Fenix and yeah that looks like it has a bunch of extra shit I'd never use. The main differences I can see between the current models and my 10 year old Polar V800 is the new ones have HRV and now show on your watch what you used to have to upload to your smartphone to see. It's definitely cool seeing your run route mapped out on GPS with training zones shown in a different color, times for all of your quarter mile splits graphed out and calculated VO2 max output for each workout. I look at all that on my smartphone after uploading the data but I don't think I need that during the run. As long as I can see HR and running pace on the watch in real time and am paying attention to how I feel, I can tell how the run is going and if I should slow down or push harder. I also have the watch set to beep after every quarter mile and show the split time, so I can monitor pace during the run.

Last edited:
It was out of 50% curiosity and 50% we get $600 discount on medical benefits if we register steps with Motion Connected app. But I don't wear accessories so keeping that thing on was a major pain. Then it was in the way constantly, so off it went. There are people with desk jobs who never get near a gym that were registering higher step counts on the company list. Fk this <KhabibBS>

Lol. Yeah I think there are two camps of people who track fitness data, 1) Hardcore gym rats who need HR data for everything and 2) Mostly sedentary folks who think 10K steps means they could outrun Eliud Kipchoge. I used to be in the first group when I used to run more but now that my cardio mostly comes from grappling and I don't have a good way to track HR, I've turned into a step counter. I just carry my stupid phone everywhere and make sure those steps are counted on the default iphone health app. And if I don't register at least 2 miles/6000 steps in a day (on top of grappling and barbell work), I feel like a fatass. Like if I'm at 1.9 miles at 10 pm, I'll get up and walk around the house for 3 minutes to bump it up to 2 miles lol. And now I'm OCD about that shit so when I get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, I pick my phone up off the nightstand and carry it to the restroom and back so I get credit for those 20 steps.

Step count isn't the be all end all but it's not a useless metric. If someone does 10K steps every day (the recommended target for non-Sherdoggers) that's 4+ miles of walking and if you're doing that consistently, it would be hard to remain very overweight over the long term unless you live at the Shoney's breakfast buffet.

Last edited:
Got it, I do the same with my Polar. My buddy has the Fenix and yeah that looks like it has a bunch of extra shit I'd never use. The main differences I can see between the current models and my 10 year old Polar V800 is the new ones have HRV and now show on your watch what you used to have to upload to your smartphone to see. It's definitely cool seeing your run route mapped out on GPS with training zones shown in a different color, times for all of your quarter mile splits graphed out and calculated VO2 max output for each workout. I look at all that on my smartphone after uploading the data but I don't think I need that during the run. As long as I can see HR and running pace on the watch in real time and am paying attention to how I feel, I can tell how the run is going and if I should slow down or push harder. I also have the watch set to beep after every quarter mile and show the split time, so I can monitor pace during the run.
The HR zones were really handy recently when I used lactate threshold as the base for my run intervals. I could set it to maintain a certain pace e.g 5:30-6:15 min km and it would beep if I went tpo fast or slow. Same with my longer work where I set it between 140-150 BPM and can still remain in Z2 as opposed to getting stuck at 135 BPM which somehow ends up nearly 1 min slower per km.

I have a pyramid interval session planned tomorrow and have all my intervals 100/200/300/400/400/300/200/100 and 8 rounds of 50m sprints, all programmed in so I can just run out my door, warm up and then get my work in. It won't be perfect like a track, but it will get the job done. It beeps 5 seconds before the finish and makes me have to run hard the whole interval and I can't pace myself as easily like a track.

The HR zones were really handy recently when I used lactate threshold as the base for my run intervals. I could set it to maintain a certain pace e.g 5:30-6:15 min km and it would beep if I went tpo fast or slow. Same with my longer work where I set it between 140-150 BPM and can still remain in Z2 as opposed to getting stuck at 135 BPM which somehow ends up nearly 1 min slower per km.

I have a pyramid interval session planned tomorrow and have all my intervals 100/200/300/400/400/300/200/100 and 8 rounds of 50m sprints, all programmed in so I can just run out my door, warm up and then get my work in. It won't be perfect like a track, but it will get the job done. It beeps 5 seconds before the finish and makes me have to run hard the whole interval and I can't pace myself as easily like a track.
Does 150bpm take you out of the maffetone zone?

Does 150bpm take you out of the maffetone zone?
Depends on fitness levels. For me I am meant to stay below 148bpm to stay in Z2. I actually settle in pretty well at 151bpm and can still breath correctly. 120-150 bpm is generally a good area to stay between as it accounts for hills etc.

None of us are elite athletes (as far as I know) sometimes close enough is good enough. I do heaps of stuff in my training that isn’t optimal.

Lol. Yeah I think there are two camps of people who track fitness data, 1) Hardcore gym rats who need HR data for everything and 2) Mostly sedentary folks who think 10K steps means they could outrun Eliud Kipchoge. I used to be in the first group when I used to run more but now that my cardio mostly comes from grappling and I don't have a good way to track HR, I've turned into a step counter. I just carry my stupid phone everywhere and make sure those steps are counted on the default iphone health app. And if I don't register at least 2 miles/6000 steps in a day (on top of grappling and barbell work), I feel like a fatass. Like if I'm at 1.9 miles at 10 pm, I'll get up and walk around the house for 3 minutes to bump it up to 2 miles lol. And now I'm OCD about that shit so when I get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, I pick my phone up off the nightstand and carry it to the restroom and back so I get credit for those 20 steps.

Step count isn't the be all end all but it's not a useless metric. If someone does 10K steps every day (the recommended target for non-Sherdoggers) that's 4+ miles of walking and if you're doing that consistently, it would be hard to remain very overweight over the long term unless you live at the Shoney's breakfast buffet.
man if I got up at midnight and took phone to bathroom, there would be fury in the eyes and questions until 6am.

Find it safer to stand in kitchen and just do Jersey Shore fist pumps until daily step goal is met.

Yeah HR watch is great for interval training like that. Personally, I prefer running on a trail, in a park or even on the side of a street next to traffic than just going around a track. Track is good for interval sprints or pace training up to 1600m but anything longer than that gets boring just running in circles.

man if I got up at midnight and took phone to bathroom, there would be fury in the eyes and questions until 6am.

Find it safer to stand in kitchen and just do Jersey Shore fist pumps until daily step goal is met.

My wife hates me anyway so not sure it makes a difference for me but yeah, I can see that raising some questions lol. Yeah if I go upstairs or something and realize I left my phone on my desk, when I get back I shake that MFer back and forth until it registers the 200 steps or whatever I think I should have earned.

Depends on fitness levels. For me I am meant to stay below 148bpm to stay in Z2. I actually settle in pretty well at 151bpm and can still breath correctly. 120-150 bpm is generally a good area to stay between as it accounts for hills etc.

None of us are elite athletes (as far as I know) sometimes close enough is good enough. I do heaps of stuff in my training that isn’t optimal.
Is getting a cough normal when you start running or have I happened into a respiratory illness?

Also I think I've found the limitation of the wrist watch. Did a 10 min EMOM 20 swings per min with 40kg. I believe when hiking the kettlebell, the wrist band loses contact with the wrist and doesn't register the heart rate. I know for a fact I wouldn't pass the talk test but it said it wasn't my highest heart rate for the day. Also kiss kettlebell cleans goodbye unless you want to destroy the watch.

Also I think I've found the limitation of the wrist watch. Did a 10 min EMOM 20 swings per min with 40kg. I believe when hiking the kettlebell, the wrist band loses contact with the wrist and doesn't register the heart rate. I know for a fact I wouldn't pass the talk test but it said it wasn't my highest heart rate for the day. Also kiss kettlebell cleans goodbye unless you want to destroy the watch.
I was having to turn it to the inside of the wrist to avoid the face. Then it embedded the buckle lock imprint into top of wrist. These things are made for walkers / runners, not athletic movement.

I was having to turn it to the inside of the wrist to avoid the face. Then it embedded the buckle lock imprint into top of wrist. These things are made for walkers / runners, not athletic movement.

Yeah I turned the watch face inside when I used to wear it in the gym. But even then, a big ass metal watch gets clanged around on barbells and dumbbells. But all the current model armbands have an "offline" mode where you can just wear the band around your upper arm and it records your data, without having to be near your watch or phone. Then you download the data after your workout and can look at it to see where you were sucking wind, monitor recovery etc. But of course then you can't see the data live on your watch during your workout.

Back