Any body ever dealt with someone with dementia?

Dementia and Alzheimer’s are horrible. My grandpa had Alzheimer’s and had to be put into an assisted living facility by the time I was 7 years old as he no longer could remember who my Dad and my Granny were. I last saw him when I was 13 and by that point it had progressed to him no longer being able to walk or talk. He died two years after that. He was 83 when he had to be put in a home and was 90 when he passed away.

Currently one of my closest friends is dealing with Alzheimer’s for his mom, but at a much younger age as here memory has been going since like age 68, and she’s been in a facility for over a year now and she just turned 76. When she was 72 my buddy’s family had me come over to do a power of attorney for her. My buddy and I have been friends since the third grade and I used to always go over to his house as a kid, so his folks knew me well. When I went to their house to do the PoA my buddy’s Dad tried to explain to her who I was and why I was there and she said something like “Of course I remember him, he’s been our lawyer for almost 30 years”. She has known me 30 years but most of those memories should have been of me as a little kid, and none of me as a lawyer.

Now she’s degenerated to the point where my grandpa was when he was in his late 80s of not speaking, walking or able to feed herself, and she just turned 76 last week. So sad and so hard for my buddy and his family.

Dementia and Alzheimer’s are horrible. My grandpa had Alzheimer’s and had to be put into an assisted living facility by the time I was 7 years old as he no longer could remember who my Dad and my Granny were. I last saw him when I was 13 and by that point it had progressed to him no longer being able to walk or talk. He died two years after that. He was 83 when he had to be put in a home and was 90 when he passed away.
He lived for 7 years with it? That's horrible.

After seeing it up close with my family, I'm starting to think that living a long time ain't so great.

Like our brains have an expiration date and it was never a problem in the past because our bodies gave out long before our brains did. But now we've figured out how to get our bodies to last so long that the brain gives out first. Which is the much more tragic of the two.

My uncle has managed to live by himself, with frequent visiting help, until recently. But that ended when he stopped being able to operate a microwave or a toilet. Moved him to memory care a few months ago. Should have done it earlier, he threw a fit when he was moved, but he's happier now with all the attention and activities they provide.

This shit runs in my family, I figure I have about 25 years left for them to find a cure before it hits me. But believe me, if I'm in my mid 70's and I start showing symptoms, there's a bullet with my name on it. Not putting my kids through that.

He lived for 7 years with it? That's horrible.

After seeing it up close with my family, I'm starting to think that living a long time ain't so great.

Like our brains have an expiration date and it was never a problem in the past because our bodies gave out long before our brains did. But now we've figured out how to get our bodies to last so long that the brain gives out first. Which is the much more tragic of the two.

Even longer than 7 years. It was 8 years with him just in a facility. He went in around September of 1992 and died in May of 2000, but he had symptoms starting earlier than that. My Dad’s brother and sister both argue that his symptoms started around 1982-1983 but my Dad and Mom disagree and think my Grandpa was just becoming a bit more distant during that time because he was lonely because for some dumb reason my grandparents temporarily moved away from their lifelong home of Ottawa, Ontario (and away from all their friends and family) all the way across the country to Victoria, BC from 1980 - 1983 before eventually moving back. Hard to say who’s right though between my Dad and his siblings if it was early signs of the Alzheimer’s or not.

A friend of a friend's Mother In Law has it, she is only in her early 60s. She constantly gets naked in front of him and runs around. He says she doesn't look bad for her age. I think he may be doing something...

Back