Anyone else back to training and feel like they've regressed a lot ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Its demoralizing. Just stated training again (first time since March 19th) and I'm getting my guard passed and smashed by lower belts and people I used to smash easily before .

They were out too, which is worrying . None of my bread and butter techniques work anymore

Anyone experiencing something similar???

Hey, it's just like riding a bike ...

... a bike that was stolen, & you eventually gave up on ever seeing it again, then you suddenly found it a few months later, abandoned by the railroad tracks, and both tires have been stripped, & the handlebars are all bent out of shape, & it needs a new chain.

It's as easy as that!

Seriously though... just embrace the waves. Any training day without an injury, is a good day. Take it as an opportunity to flatten the curve, of your ego, ha. Let the meek have their day. Same as the ol' whitebelt days, right? Enjoy the process, don't keep score, don't focus on winning & losing so much, just keep showing up. Your superpowers will come back online soon enough!

Its demoralizing. Just stated training again (first time since March 19th) and I'm getting my guard passed and smashed by lower belts and people I used to smash easily before .

They were out too, which is worrying . None of my bread and butter techniques work anymore

Out of curiosity, how much bjj related activity did you participate in when everything was closed? In terms of workouts, instructionals etc

For sure. Just started back up and I think I've regressed the most of anyone. I've always been a top control/smash pass guy and some of that is still there, but it's like my already shitty guard game has regressed 2 years. Nothing is working off my back and the coach was even calling me out last class like, "come on, we're drilling butterfly sweep. You need to get under him like this. You should know this."

I'm sure flexibility is a big part of it - during lockdown I lifted weights with little stretching and my back and hips are like concrete now. I'm going to lay off the weights for a few weeks and focus on stretching 2-3 times/day.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how much bjj related activity did you participate in when everything was closed? In terms of workouts, instructionals etc

I'd run maybe 3 or 4 times a week, did warmups at home etc but nothing really BJJ related :(

It is absolutely normal to feel this way. I had 2 years to go to kick boxing classes and when i went, i felt stupid. I wasn't so fast, i hadn't stamina and after every fight i need 3 minutes to rest. But after 3 months i was ok, but not like 2 years before.

I came back and didn't feel lost rolling, which was awesome. Then a couple other guys of same belt rank and tenure came back too and gave me so much trouble, as if I was the only who took a long break and they didn't somehow. Oh well. This is sometimes the trajectory of my BJJ as a whole though.

I came back and rebroke a rib that was sortha kinda healing ishhhhh so... I dunno, since I broke that rib and my spine arthritys my game is shitty as hell.

I came back and didn't feel lost rolling, which was awesome. Then a couple other guys of same belt rank and tenure came back too and gave me so much trouble, as if I was the only who took a long break and they didn't somehow. Oh well. This is sometimes the trajectory of my BJJ as a whole though.

I think it depends a lot on your style and your skill set. I only rolled a couple times since the closure of my gym (illegal open mats) and I realized that my game was a lot based on timing, balance, traps and quick decision making. I used to have good success while rolling because I was always on the mat and those sequences were automatics for me.

Right now I roll with guys that have a more control oriented game with few techniques that they master and they use their physical advantages. I don't reallly see that much rust on those guys.

I'd run maybe 3 or 4 times a week, did warmups at home etc but nothing really BJJ related :(
My 2 cts is that this probably contributed most to your “regression”. I often underestimate how the lack of mental involvement esp over a prolonged period can really kill your abilities. BJJ is such a cerebral sport that requires so much decision making. Not applying your mind consistently to those processes would mean that having to restart that engine in addition to your physical one.

I think it depends a lot on your style and your skill set. I only rolled a couple times since the closure of my gym (illegal open mats) and I realized that my game was a lot based on timing, balance, traps and quick decision making. I used to have good success while rolling because I was always on the mat and those sequences were automatics for me.

Right now I roll with guys that have a more control oriented game with few techniques that they master and they use their physical advantages. I don't reallly see that much rust on those guys.
100% this.

The way i look at it, it’s a lot easier for a guy who’s passing chest to chest in half guard to make decisions when his opponent has very little space to make big movements. He has all the time in the world to think about his next move so long as the right controls are active.

Juxtapose this to a guy who favours eg torreando swarms, cartwheel passes. They rely heavily on agility, speed and necessarily snap decisions to achieve the same result.

It’s a lot harder to retain the skills required for the latter IMO

Now I'm nervous because I've done very little exercise. I'm just excited to go back and have heard absolutely nothing yet. (Ontario, Canada)

Back