Anyone else lost interest in MMA?

Well the same few people clutter the boards with boring WMMA crap, and honestly that's entirely different from MMA discussion. Not many people want to come here to talk about WMMA. Pretending to like WMMA isn't cool anymore...

The fuck? No one ever talks about WMMA for the most part and when they do is to post instagram pictures.

There were plenty of low tier fighters on UFC cards back then too, people just don't remember them because they tend to think of the stars from the era.
Don't remember them? We aren't old enough for dementia to have set in. Yes, everyone thinks about the stars just like they do ANY era.

It was a different model then- small talent pool + occasional shows. Now the model is small talent pool + frequent shows. Pretty simple.

I would agree that the bottom to medium-low level fighters are more well-rounded these days. That doesn't honestly add much to it though. These watered-down cards with well-rounded, mediocre fighters, that will ever matter in the sport are like yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn....

No - not at all - give me more please...

And yes I've been watching MMA forever and consume it vast quantities. I oft feel I need more hours to keep up.

<GinJuice>

You're growing up. There's only so many times you can watch someone get punched in the face without losing a little bit of interest and wanting a bit more out of life lol.

Don't remember them? We aren't old enough for dementia to have set in. Yes, everyone thinks about the stars just like they do ANY era.

It was a different model then- small talent pool + occasional shows. Now the model is small talent pool + frequent shows. Pretty simple.

I would agree that the bottom to medium-low level fighters are more well-rounded these days. That doesn't honestly add much to it though. These watered-down cards with well-rounded, mediocre fighters, that will ever matter in the sport are like yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn....

Even then though, the fight night cards were stuff like this https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/ufc-fight-night-15 , which isn't really much different to what we get today.

Actually, that card is much more interesting than most of them now, but that is pretty irrelevant. Giving an individual sample really means nothing. I was talking about the bigger picture, which is undeniably more watered down now.

I don't know that it is, I'd argue that there are far more MMA fighters now than there were then and a much bigger pool of fighters for the top organisations to choose from. Things are spread out over more cards, but I really don't see why that's an issue when people can just watch the fights they want to watch. For the most part ranked fighters still fight ranked fighters and there are as many high level clashes per month now as there were then, they're just not all on the same card.

2004 to 2011 was the golden era for me. This encapsulated the TUF boom, Spike TV, and WEC. I watched every PPV and cable TV event and established myself as a solid shitposter on Sherdog. I don’t think there’s any way that I’ll ever be that dedicated to MMA again. Maybe it was the new-ness, or maybe I just wasn’t so saturated with watered down events. But yeah, my interest has waned for sure.

Always packed cards, not the watered down shit we see nowadays with half the fights wmma

This is true

I would rather have 6 good cards a year than a load of shite week in and week out

I loved football more whenever you got to watch a game or 2 on Sunday and match of the day on Saturday night

Having the champions league through the week was a real treat

Sometimes when a sport is too accessible, I think it takes some fun out of it, as you don't get the same hype, as it's shown daily

Wmma is definitely a major issue and I guarantee 99.9% of people away from this forum wouldn't give a shit if it disappeared

I'm in the same boat. I've also followed MMA since 2003 (before that just an event/fight here and there that I could download via Direct Connect) and in the last ~3 years, my interest has dropped significantly. It all started with some truly terrible fight card in Singapore (I think?) that only had b level Asian talent as main event. That's the first event I skipped, since then it has been many. Back then MMA/UFC was still good though, but now we have more terrible divisions with mediocre talent and too many WMMA fights on the main card. I'm all for WMMA, but I don't really care for some random chick fighting another random chick ranked #5 and they both are terrible. Same with men's MMA, just so many filler fights/cards that are pointless and it's impossible to keep track of all the "prospects".

Only watching big fights nowadays and skipp or fastforward through the terrible/irrelevant/filler fights. I would prefer the UFC building stars instead of a steady stream of lukewarm events.

Not as hardcore as before, but still watching when there are big fights like Ngannou vs. Gane...

I'm in the same boat. I've also followed MMA since 2003 (before that just an event/fight here and there that I could download via Direct Connect) and in the last ~3 years, my interest has dropped significantly. It all started with some truly terrible fight card in Singapore (I think?) that only had b level Asian talent as main event. That's the first event I skipped, since then it has been many. Back then MMA/UFC was still good though, but now we have more terrible divisions with mediocre talent and too many WMMA fights on the main card. I'm all for WMMA, but I don't really care for some random chick fighting another random chick ranked #5 and they both are terrible. Same with men's MMA, just so many filler fights/cards that are pointless and it's impossible to keep track of all the "prospects".

Only watching big fights nowadays and skipp or fastforward through the terrible/irrelevant/filler fights. I would prefer the UFC building stars instead of a steady stream of lukewarm events.
I was debating on including the international smoke break time of wmma, but really wmma suffers from the same thing as all female sports....outside of the like 5 chicks who are actually good, no one wants to pay to see these shetland females with neither skills nor athleticism

After following MMA religiously since 03, being on Sherdog or the UG everyday, staying up till 6am to watch the events...in the last year or so I'd frequent MMA sites a lot less and just catch the results or the finishes on Twitter on Sunday mornings

It doesn't feel as interesting as the early years. Who else is in the same boat or do the noobs think this is the best era of MMA?
I feel the same way dude. MMA is less interesting now.

I used to be a big MMA fan. These days I feel like a casual. Too much work to keep up with the roster for me now days.

Khamzat is the only thing going that i'm 100% dialed into. Excited for tomorrow nights fight but my sports enthusiasm in general is way down. Having 4 kids killed my ability to enjoy hobbies I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back