Anyone fix their own car's a/c?

What is the year, make, model?
What’s it doing (or not doing)?
Blowing warm air, or not blowing at all
2015 Mazda 3, I think the isport is what they called this particular one.

It's weird, the passenger side still blows fairly cold, but the driver side is doesn't. This car doesn't have separate climate zone controls so it shouldn't be possible.

My theory is that the cold air comes in on the passenger side first, and it's just not as cold as it used to be so by the time it goes through all the ducts to get to the driver side, it's warmed up already.

You’re correct, the AC evaporator box is on the passenger side, which is where the cold air comes from.

Get one of those cans of refrigerant that has a gauge on top from Wal Mart.

Don’t add any refrigerant just yet.. just connect it to the low side port on your AC line and see what the pressure is. The port on that model is right up front on top, next to your radiator cap. You can’t screw this up, the low side and high side have different size connection ports.

It's weird, the passenger side still blows fairly cold, but the driver side is doesn't. This car doesn't have separate climate zone controls so it shouldn't be possible.

My theory is that the cold air comes in on the passenger side first, and it's just not as cold as it used to be so by the time it goes through all the ducts to get to the driver side, it's warmed up already.

Don’t add any refrigerant just yet.. just connect it to the low side port on your AC line and see what the pressure is.
Autozone has AC Manifold gauges in their loaner program. Check those pressures for free prior to buying anything.

Good to know in case anyone want to borrow mine in the future, I’ll send their ass to auto zone.

Also @Fedorgasm , have you ever changed the cabin air filter? If you haven’t, do that first. It’s cheap.

Autozone has AC Manifold gauges in their loaner program. Check those pressures for free prior to buying anything.

If the air is cold like normal on one side, but not the other, that's most likely going to be a blend door issue. Even without dual zone control, there's often blend doors separating sides. When one door is operating, but the other isn't, you end up with temperature differentials from the vents. Search yt for your make/model and "blend door" or the symptom you described and you'll likely find someone that's covered it.

Back