Anyone have experience with the old school training gloves on the market?

LocoFlow98

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Bill Boxing's flores style horse hair gloves, Top boxer's fiber particle filled shevlin style gloves or John Golomb gloves? All look incredible. I was wondering how they feel on the hand and how well of sparring gloves they are. Can anyone tell me how the three gloves differ? I'd love to know. I'm really interested in purchasing either of the gloves. I'd just like to know a little more about each and how they perform.

Photos are of TB and BB, both were sent from billboxing and topboxer

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Has anyone tried Bill Boxing's flores style horse hair gloves or Top boxer's fiber particle filled shevlin style gloves? Both look incredible. I was wondering how they feel on the hand and how well of sparring gloves they are. Can anyone tell me how the two gloves differ? I'd love to know. I'm really interested in purchasing either of the gloves. I'd just like to know a little more about each and how they perform.

Photos were sent from billboxing and topboxer

I have a pair of Beaulieu old school gloves and while they are awesome I've only had them since November and the padding is falling apart or at least they feel like they are!
They have been used heavily though, since I hit the heavy bag 5-6 days a week for usually 15-20 mins to warm up. I'll post pics of the gloves if you'd like!

I have a few pairs of Shevlin gloves and I absolutely LOVE them! Shevlin and Winning have been my go to brands for years now and it definitely makes me sad that Shevlin is no more. I wish there was a glove maker around who made true old school gloves that were like Flores since they have always been a pair I'd love to try.

I have a pair of Beaulieu old school gloves and while they are awesome I've only had them since November and the padding is falling apart or at least they feel like they are!
They have been used heavily though, since I hit the heavy bag 5-6 days a week for usually 15-20 mins to warm up. I'll post pics of the gloves if you'd like!

I have a few pairs of Shevlin gloves and I absolutely LOVE them! Shevlin and Winning have been my go to brands for years now and it definitely makes me sad that Shevlin is no more. I wish there was a glove maker around who made true old school gloves that were like Flores since they have always been a pair I'd love to try.
Please post some pics of your gloves!! I have winning gloves already. I have a love hate relationship with them. One training session I love them the next I don't lol. Those old school gloves though have been on my mind like crazy. Have you used the Bill Boxing for any sparring?

Please post some pics of your gloves!! I have winning gloves already. I have a love hate relationship with them. One training session I love them the next I don't lol. Those old school gloves though have been on my mind like crazy. Have you used the Bill Boxing for any sparring?

No sparring, I just do double end bag and heavy bag work since I currently do not have time to attend any boxing clssses! The padding on the Beaulieu gloves was phenomenal at first but now they are so broken down in the knuckle area, especially in my right hand glove from constant jabs and hooks!

No sparring, I just do double end bag and heavy bag work since I currently do not have time to attend any boxing clssses! The padding on the Beaulieu gloves was phenomenal at first but now they are so broken down in the knuckle area, especially in my right hand glove from constant jabs and hooks!
Eeeeeee, that worries me. I box 5-6 days out of the week. With intent to turn pro so I go hard often. I don't even know if I would use these gloves on bag. I know they'd be used for sparring. I think I'm starting to feel a pull towards Topboxer's shevlin style gloves.

DrDoom, aside from the shevlin, do you have any Flores gloves made by dan mosby? If so, did you use them on the bag, and how did they hold if you did?

I know that for the most part, hair padded gloves are not recommended for heavy bag use, but I bet Mosby's gloves probably would hold up better than what is currently being offered.

Also, have you ever considered ordering a pair of gloves from John Golomb? they're very expensive - I just got a pair, and it comes with a "five year guarantee". Not sure what that means, but I intend on taking Mr. Golomb up on the guarantee.

Great to see you posting again, I remember you had lots of awesome gear

DrDoom, aside from the shevlin, do you have any Flores gloves made by dan mosby? If so, did you use them on the bag, and how did they hold if you did?

I know that for the most part, hair padded gloves are not recommended for heavy bag use, but I bet Mosby's gloves probably would hold up better than what is currently being offered.

Also, have you ever considered ordering a pair of gloves from John Golomb? they're very expensive - I just got a pair, and it comes with a "five year guarantee". Not sure what that means, but I intend on taking Mr. Golomb up on the guarantee.

Unfortunately I do not! I always check eBay now though in hopes to find a pair, especially now that I have the money if I find a pair!
I'm actually going to order a pair of Legacy gloves when I get back from vacation, I do have an old pair of Legacy gloves and they were great, super comfortable and protective.

John Golomb's gloves look like amazing quality. Not sure if that justifies that price tag though. Bill Boxing promotes a story of "being friends with Dan Mosby" blah blah blah as if we should trust that his Flores style gloves are of the same quality. From the few reviews I'm finding (which is minimal) they don't seem like they are living up to high standards for training. Does any one out there have experience with Bill Boxing's Flores style or even Top boxer's shevlin style gloves?

The golomb gloves... I'll post an initial review. They are great quality, but not Dan Mosby Flores quality.

I know one guy that has many pairs of Mosby Flores gloves. He also has a pair of the Bealieau old school gloves that he acquired recently, and he says that though they look nice, they are nowhere close to the Mosby glove. I don't have any experience with the recent Beaulieus or the TopBoxers, but I don't think that either even look the same in appearance.

I do have some Mosby Flores gloves, though I've never used them on the bag. Heck I've never used them in sparring because they always want me using some big pillowy glove. Truth be told, even the 20 oz pair I have are way too short in terms of thumb length. I have a pair of Mosby made Beaulieu labeled gloves. They are unlike the others in that they are flat cuff. 16 oz, and very comfortable, but they're like fight glove size. Doubt they'd ever let me use in sparring.

I'll have to try them out on the bag, but I know that Mosby cautioned against using the horsehair foam gloves on the bag. I have a very large pair of Mosby bag mitts for the bag.

hi folks , saw this thread and wanted to give my take here on the matter

1 i have no hand in BEAULIEU,S current stock FLORES inspired line...he is getting them made from i dont know where .
2 i got the real flores and made pattrens from that very real pair of flores gloves RAY FLORES used to make in CALIFORNIA
3 those were the 1 of most amazing gloves i have had chance to disect and remake
4 i did remake them with horse hair available here localy but i think its the lack of same jumpy horse hair , here that the gloves could,nt become exact like the flores ones so i discontinued making them in horse hair
5 now that i have pattrens i am still making them in 2 ways ....one is to make them with layered padding in which you have all the freedom of the world to get them made by me in any way you want , either with triple cuff or with flat cuff
6 i am also making shevlin style padded gloves in old school way of gloves making with double cuff all the way to the palm side...these are very soft and ideal for spparing when you want to be very kind to your partner...
appologies if i missed something or my poor english is not being clear to you folks

P.S
i can also make the flores profile gloves with shevlins style padding...

Muhammad, you made a set of old school style gloves for me. How would you classify those?

How do you compare the Golomb gloves with brand such as Winning or Cleto? im thinking in ordering a pair.

I am about to buy a pair of Golomb’s gloves also. His money back guarantee is for 2 years so if they’re not as great as what I’m hoping they are I can send them back without the fear of losing $450 on a pair of sub par gloves. I can’t wait to order them and try them.

54409238-416777699071576-2159712051251904512-n.jpg
Are those your personal gloves? They are BEAUTIFUL!!

Back