Anyone here have history with shoulder surgeries or MRIs?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Had some MRIs done on my shoulders, both left and right. Last May I had a dislocation and labral tear that I got operated on. The recent MRI I got says that the "majority of my anterior labrum appears intact". I'm not really sure if that's good or bad though. I guess it's not fully intact by the sounds of it. For my left shoulder it says that I have mild tendinopathy of the rotator cuff and mild subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis. For both shoulders it says that I have a type 2 acromion without spurs aka shoulder impingements.

I'm hoping to get back into not just strength training but also muay thai and boxing, but I'm not too sure if my shoulders would hold up or not

Might not need surgery just yet. Physical therapy might get it done

Might not need surgery just yet. Physical therapy might get it done
Already had surgery on the right side, that's the one with the labral tear, and the one that I'm most worried about

That’s why I’m thinking pt might do. I partially tore my supraspinatus and only ended up with some pt. I’m 95% on it still

Grade III AC joint separation with mild posterior labrum tear on my left shoulder. The PA that examined me wouldn't do Kim's test or any other diagnostic testing for my posterior labrum but I knew something was up with it. He was really only worried about the AC joint injury. MRI showed a hole in it, so I felt pretty validated.

I was back to regular activity at 4 months and completely pain free after 6. I just have an ugly bump where my clavicle rides up since the ligaments are toast, it's all cosmetic since the Weaver-Dunns surgery to repair the ligaments shows the same level of satisfaction for patients that choose conservative treatment(physical therapy). I had some impingement that lasted for a while but only when I was actively doing anything that involved scaption. I attributed most of that to being in a sling for close to 8 weeks and the muscles of my rotator cuff getting weak/short. Once I started getting back into my regular activities and had to use my left arm normally it started going away as my shoulder girdle overall became stronger.

I'm a PTA by trade so I did my own therapy. The main thing that I do now just to keep things moving smoothly are face pulls, straight arm hangs from a pull up bar, and a good amount of stretches for my internal rotators. Like @cincymma79 said, keep at it with corrective exercises and PT if you already are. If you aren't, then start ASAP.

Grade III AC joint separation with mild posterior labrum tear on my left shoulder. The PA that examined me wouldn't do Kim's test or any other diagnostic testing for my posterior labrum but I knew something was up with it. He was really only worried about the AC joint injury. MRI showed a hole in it, so I felt pretty validated.

I was back to regular activity at 4 months and completely pain free after 6. I just have an ugly bump where my clavicle rides up since the ligaments are toast, it's all cosmetic since the Weaver-Dunns surgery to repair the ligaments shows the same level of satisfaction for patients that choose conservative treatment(physical therapy). I had some impingement that lasted for a while but only when I was actively doing anything that involved scaption. I attributed most of that to being in a sling for close to 8 weeks and the muscles of my rotator cuff getting weak/short. Once I started getting back into my regular activities and had to use my left arm normally it started going away as my shoulder girdle overall became stronger.

I'm a PTA by trade so I did my own therapy. The main thing that I do now just to keep things moving smoothly are face pulls, straight arm hangs from a pull up bar, and a good amount of stretches for my internal rotators. Like @cincymma79 said, keep at it with corrective exercises and PT if you already are. If you aren't, then start ASAP.
Let me back up your post here. Straight up physical therapy blew my mind on my shoulder and calf. I just have to be mindful on bench given I am weak specifically at the range where I pull my shoulders back and down. They roll forward the moment the right one is stressed at max loads or reps. Does make bodybuilding harder but not impossible. I’m still doing the pt exercises. Struggle with going over 15 pounds per hand given that being fully extended with 15 in each hand is tough to balance. Wind up with the yoga ball basically under my chin. If you have suggestions I’m open.

I’ve had an ac joint resection and continue to have bicep tendinosis. If I could go back, I’d never had the surgery. Didn’t help and recovery took forever. Aside from acute injury, I’d try more conservative treatment.

What’s the question?
I’ve had several MRIs and 3 shoulder surgeries (all labrum repairs mostly).
What has caused dislocations in the past? Avoid doing that activity. If it’s sport related, I don’t necessarily mean stop the sport entirely, but change the way you perform it.

PT very important as well

What type of surgery did they perform?
MRI explanation sounds pretty mild. Did they inject a contrast dye into your shoulder before the imaging? That’s a must.

What’s the question?
I’ve had several MRIs and 3 shoulder surgeries (all labrum repairs mostly).
What has caused dislocations in the past? Avoid doing that activity. If it’s sport related, I don’t necessarily mean stop the sport entirely, but change the way you perform it.

PT very important as well

What type of surgery did they perform?
MRI explanation sounds pretty mild. Did they inject a contrast dye into your shoulder before the imaging? That’s a must.
The surgery was a bankhart repair to repair the anterior labrum. I originally injured during a fall on my shoulder during a no-gi class several years ago and then it popped out of my socket last year in a fight. I feel uneasy now about throwing a fully extended punch with power, or throwing in general and certain heavy lifting activities. Did you ever have any post-surgery mris? I guess I'm just unsure about how my shoulder labrum would hold up to the activities previously mentioned, considering it's only mostly intact and not fully. But maybe that's not really realistic. Also my mris were done without contrast

Have you injured it since surgery?
How long have you been rehabbing/what are you doing now?
I’ve had three of those same surgeries. Posterior left, posterior right, anterior left. They’ve held up fine but I’m careful with what I do. Never had issues boxing except for the odd time. Bag work is easy but if you’re hitting an opponent and they unexpectedly move your arm at full extension it can be iffy (for me).

I’ve had 4 or 5 MRIs (so before and after surgery)
Strength training is no problem with modifications. Lots of rotator cuff work, no overhead pressing, no full rom benching (I use a foam roller as a board), lots of rows. Push-up variations are great, bear crawls, plank variations, anything that requires stability and endurance at the scapula.

Let me back up your post here. Straight up physical therapy blew my mind on my shoulder and calf. I just have to be mindful on bench given I am weak specifically at the range where I pull my shoulders back and down. They roll forward the moment the right one is stressed at max loads or reps. Does make bodybuilding harder but not impossible. I’m still doing the pt exercises. Struggle with going over 15 pounds per hand given that being fully extended with 15 in each hand is tough to balance. Wind up with the yoga ball basically under my chin. If you have suggestions I’m open.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what exercise you're trying to describe. Are you doing a prone rear delt fly?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what exercise you're trying to describe. Are you doing a prone rear delt fly?
So four of my exercises are me laying stomach down on a yoga ball, dumbbell in each hand, pinch scapula together, raise dumbbelsnat various angles. The issue comes in at around 15 pound dumbbells. Arms fully extended forward is tough to balance

So four of my exercises are me laying stomach down on a yoga ball, dumbbell in each hand, pinch scapula together, raise dumbbelsnat various angles. The issue comes in at around 15 pound dumbbells. Arms fully extended forward is tough to balance
YTWLs

Have you injured it since surgery?
How long have you been rehabbing/what are you doing now?
I’ve had three of those same surgeries. Posterior left, posterior right, anterior left. They’ve held up fine but I’m careful with what I do. Never had issues boxing except for the odd time. Bag work is easy but if you’re hitting an opponent and they unexpectedly move your arm at full extension it can be iffy (for me).

I’ve had 4 or 5 MRIs (so before and after surgery)
Strength training is no problem with modifications. Lots of rotator cuff work, no overhead pressing, no full rom benching (I use a foam roller as a board), lots of rows. Push-up variations are great, bear crawls, plank variations, anything that requires stability and endurance at the scapula.
Haven't reinjured it, it just doesn't feel the same like it used to and there's still some discomfort at times. I did pt for a several months but over the last few months I've been getting back into strength training but with lighter weights and still incorporating a lot of pt for my shoulder. With boxing, did you have to adjust your punching style at all? Like throwing less for power and more for volume or not? I could be wrong but it seems to me like the main punches that cause shoulder dislocations are crosses and overhands, and lead hooks. I'm particularly uneasy about throwing those types of punches with power but maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Do you stay away from overhead pressing because the doctor's told you to? Or are you just physically unable to do it now? I'm still able to to overhead pressing but my form with the injured shoulder is a little off because I don't have enough felxibility in that shoulder anymore. Do you stay away from full rom chest pressing movements in general or just bench with heavier weight? I do notice when doing dumbbell presses at the bottom my shoulder does start to hurt after a while and I have to either drop in weight or not go down as far, but I wonder if I'm damaging my shoulder

I didn’t get serious into boxing until after my first surgeries. For me the most risky punches are when I’m at full extension – ie jabs and crosses and sometimes long lead hooks. Power and strength is not limited at all by my shoulders.
The sport I play mostly is lacrosse and I changed the way I play that sport – much less cross-checking and more positioning and body control.

What’s your training look like? It’s really hard for me to answer any of your questions with very limited info. Doctors didn’t tell me anything regarding my lifting, it’s all stuff I’ve learned from lifting/experience. I rarely use dumbbells for benching but I use full rom on pushups or even extra rom when using rings. I doubt you’re doing any damage to your labrum when lifting unless your rehab went very poorly. I would still avoid any lifting that causes pain. In regards to overhead pressing, I mostly think the risk/reward isn’t there for most athletes. There are very few sports that I’d recommend programming overhead lifts. Exceptions for me are lighter work that focuses on stability. 1-arm Bottom up KB pressing, 1-arm overhead lunges or walks …

How many reps are you doing per set?

I didn’t get serious into boxing until after my first surgeries. For me the most risky punches are when I’m at full extension – ie jabs and crosses and sometimes long lead hooks. Power and strength is not limited at all by my shoulders.
The sport I play mostly is lacrosse and I changed the way I play that sport – much less cross-checking and more positioning and body control.

What’s your training look like? It’s really hard for me to answer any of your questions with very limited info. Doctors didn’t tell me anything regarding my lifting, it’s all stuff I’ve learned from lifting/experience. I rarely use dumbbells for benching but I use full rom on pushups or even extra rom when using rings. I doubt you’re doing any damage to your labrum when lifting unless your rehab went very poorly. I would still avoid any lifting that causes pain. In regards to overhead pressing, I mostly think the risk/reward isn’t there for most athletes. There are very few sports that I’d recommend programming overhead lifts. Exceptions for me are lighter work that focuses on stability. 1-arm Bottom up KB pressing, 1-arm overhead lunges or walks …
I do a upper body / lower split, where I train upper body twice a week and lower body twice, then also do a couple days of core work during the week and some other things like neck training, and calves. When I'm training at my Muay Thai and boxing gym, my routine looks different but I haven't been able to train in a few years due to injuries, but hope to start again this year. I don't powerlift, I typically do 10 reps or more. I don't think I've ever heard that overhead pressing is dangerous. I think it's a pretty functional movement too, not even just in sports but I can think of several situations in day to day life where you would want to be strong at lifting things above shoulder height or be able to push something heavy with your hands extended out like for example pushing a broken down vehicle

I disagree with most of those comments but it's up to you to decide what exercises you're comfortable with. Strength carries over between movements to a degree. I don't think I've ever in my life been limited by overhead strength other than in the gym or in a strongman comp years ago ... definitely not in day to day life.
Years ago I made SOHP my main upper body movement and trained it hard twice a week. I made good progress but my shoulders were always banged up. Now I never do them and my shoulders feel great.

10-15 depending when I give up

I know you're a bigger guy but 15lbs per DB is pretty substantial for isolation work meant to target the small muscles of your rotator cuff and scapula. Are you working with a PT currently that's telling you to use 15s? If you can't maintain adequate external rotation to complete the full ROM for that particular exercise you may want to lower the weight a bit with something you have full control over and increase the rep count. Similar idea with other areas of lifting. If you're deadlifting and the only way you can get the weight up is to hitch and round your back then it's time to change something.

It's boring as shit and time consuming to do sets of 20-30 with lower weight but it's worth a shot. I'm sure you've got some adjustable DB handles and maybe even some fractional plates where you can rig up a 12.5lb DB since you've got all of that fitness equipment you buy and sell. This type of stimuli is about the minimum effective dose. Grinding through therapeutic exercise isn't so therapeutic, nomeimsayin?

Back