Social Anyone Here Into Bookbinding?

Daverisimo

Sell all you have, give it to the kittens
@Brown
Reaction score
I wanna try it out.

It looks so goddamn satisfying, and you have something beautiful for your labor.

Yes, for fun. The skillset in general is most used for book repair.

Anthropodermic bibliopegy

Practicarum-Cover-and-Spine.jpg

I used to like making paper but never actually got into book binding.

I used to like making paper but never actually got into book binding.

That's awesome. Can you explain the process you used?

Reminds me of an anime about a girl who died and was reincarnated into a medieval type world where paper had not been invented yet so she worked towards making and mass producing paper to make books.

That's awesome. Can you explain the process you used?

Reminds me of an anime about a girl who died and was reincarnated into a medieval type world where paper had not been invented yet so she worked towards making and mass producing paper to make books.
I would recycle old newspapers along with say, wrapping paper or maybe construction paper. I would rip the paper up into scraps then stuff them into a blender, fill with water and mix together into a watery pulp. Pour that mixture into some sort of tub then use a wooden deckle to pull up some of the pulp. The deckle has a fine mesh that lets the water drain through leaving just the pulp. Flip the deckle over onto a flat surface and use a sponge to draw out more of the water then let it dry.

While the pulp is still wet, you can press stamps or whatever into it to create patterns

4GxHQxO.jpg

I placed my hand on the deckle and dipped into the grey pulp, then filled in space with pulp from a tub filled with red pulp

V1u4Syy.jpg

The silver flecks were from some wrapping paper

id9Rpvb.jpg

This is really cool. I always liked books and have quite a few I’d like to restore. I know it kills value but I never intend on selling them. This might be a neat side job for someone crafty.

Back