Anyone live in Tennessee?

I might live in the county that houses the Boro. We've been getting the overflow from Nashville

Yeah, the people I know that are moving got priced out of FL and now are looking at this area in TN. The only thing I gather about the place is that is is growing fast. I was just curious about how it is to live there.

Yeah, the people I know that are moving got priced out of FL and now are looking at this area in TN. The only thing I gather about the place is that is is growing fast. I was just curious about how it is to live there.

Tbh, the only reason we moved here 6ish years ago is because of my wife's family being located in middle TN and we just had our second child. Nashville is a dumpster fire when it comes to infra (my coworkers in Boston/Cambridge, Bay area and Seattle are amazed when I compared high-traffic commute times as close to theirs), and the Boro is the next "largest" city by way of population and shit to do. But the shit to do is limited at best. The infra here is just as bad - a lot of one way in, one way out in high-traffic areas.

There's nothing unique in Murfreesboro - there are no Smoky Mountains like in east TN, and you're still a good 30 - 60 minutes way from anything posh in Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin. As much as I got bored of east TN, I'd move back there if I could.

Tbh, the only reason we moved here 6ish years ago is because of my wife's family being located in middle TN and we just had our second child. Nashville is a dumpster fire when it comes to infra (my coworkers in Boston/Cambridge, Bay area and Seattle are amazed when I compared high-traffic commute times as close to theirs), and the Boro is the next "largest" city by way of population and shit to do. But the shit to do is limited at best. The infra here is just as bad - a lot of one way in, one way out in high-traffic areas.

There's nothing unique in Murfreesboro - there are no Smoky Mountains like in east TN, and you're still a good 30 - 60 minutes way from anything posh in Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin. As much as I got bored of east TN, I'd move back there if I could.

Appreciate the info, doesn't sound like the place to retire to...Maybe my friends ought to save up for a little longer and have another look at FL.

Yep, been here most of my 40+ years - greater Knox and Nash. There are 2 seasons - cold as fuck and hot as fuck. There is maybe 45 days worth of mild - there's hardly a spring and fall any more. If you have bad allergies and sinuses, this is one of the worst places to live. Tornadoes are somewhat frequent in both middle/east TN. Only ventured to west/Memphis a couple of times, and you wouldn't be missing much. There are nicer areas to live in the south east IMO (greater Charleston and Atlanta areas) than Nashville, but at least we aren't Arkansas...or Mississippi, or the majority of Kentucky...and Louisiana

What area has the least amount of tornados? NE?

What area can you get a decent amount of land (5 to 10 acres) but still be close to a town/city?

How's the healthcare in Tennessee?

Does it snow? Do you need 4wd?

If I have enough land, can I have my own shooting range?

What's the best thing about Tennessee?

What's the worst thing about Tennessee?

What area has the least amount of tornados? NE?

What area can you get a decent amount of land (5 to 10 acres) but still be close to a town/city?

How's the healthcare in Tennessee?

Does it snow? Do you need 4wd?

If I have enough land, can I have my own shooting range?

What's the best thing about Tennessee?

What's the worst thing about Tennessee?

1) The east sees the least amount of tornado activity. You're surrounded by the mountains on the right and the plateau on the left. NE around Johnson City (Bristol baby! - sorry, had to) doesn't see too much activity

2) I would consider the greater Chattanooga area. It's growing, but doesn't have the same influx of people that Nashville/Knoxville are seeing (you're about 1.5 hours away from Atlanta, too). Clarksville is a military/small college town near the KY border, but idk much about the area. There are some places within an hour of Knoxville that are pretty rural/undeveloped, too, that has potential to grow.

3) TN is known for having a decent network of hospitals/healthcare systems. Is the healthcare good; who really knows.

4) It does snow, but not a great deal. You likely don't need 4wd due to snow, but we get a lot of black ice during the winter. AWD would likely suffice. If you're living in a pretty rural area, then it wouldn't hurt to have at least one 4wd vehicle

5) Yes. It also depends on the county your living in. Most counties with a bigger city won't allow you to fire within city limits. In the county, however, you can pretty much shoot whatever

6) Most of the people are genuinely nice, even the closet racists. Cost of living is still generally lower than many areas (outside of Nashville). At one time, apparently TN was known for having good/high quality roads. If you're a gearhead or car enthusiast, that may be a nice bonus. No state income tax.

7) Maybe I'm jaded having lived here the majority of my life, but there's just not a ton to do here. If you like the outdoors, visiting small towns, you can keep yourself busy. Being landlocked sucks. If you are in east TN, it takes about 6 hours to get to Charleston/Hilton Head, maybe 7 hours to Savannah. Middle TN, add 3 hours to that (closest is Gulf Coast and still about 9 hours I think).

Bumping this thread since Im going to nashville next week to look at property. What areas should I look at and what else is fun to do? Being a recording engineer it sounds like a fun place for someone like me.

I live kind of a little past West Nashville. I like it a lot out here. I have lived in California and in the state of Maine for good chunks of time as well. So I have some things to compare Tennessee to. I live in a county next to Nashville county called cheatham county. I can drive into downtown Nashville in 20 to 30 minutes but it's a lot more rural where I am in Kingston Springs. So I don't really have neighbors on me I've got a pretty big yard and lots of parks and forests around me. I like that but it wouldn't be for everybody I guess. I can get into Nashville and places like that very quickly though so it's the best of both worlds for me.

How does it compare to California? How was living in Maine?

Nice place but Nashville is unlivable now unless you had a home before it blew up, a celebrity or have a very high paying job. You have to live 40+ miles outside of the city before it starts becoming affordable and that number keeps going up.

A 1 bedroom studio apartment is well over 1k now which might even sound cheap if you are coming from CA but wages are also much lower so it kinda evens out.

As for weather, you get every season which I liked but the summers can be very hot and humid while the winters can be very cold. Snow is decently rare though. You do also have to deal with bad storms and potential tornadoes but they typically hit rural areas.

It’s a very clean and well organized city and surrounding areas but it’s been taken over by hipsters and people fleeing California and New York so now, all of the prices are starting to match that.

Lower Broadway is awesome with the honky tonks and Nashville hot chicken but weed being illegal sucks.

Nice place but Nashville is unlivable now unless you had a home before it blew up, a celebrity or have a very high paying job. You have to live 40+ miles outside of the city before it starts becoming affordable and that number keeps going up.

A 1 bedroom studio apartment is well over 1k now which might even sound cheap if you are coming from CA but wages are also much lower so it kinda evens out.

As for weather, you get every season which I liked but the summers can be very hot and humid while the winters can be very cold. Snow is decently rare though. You do also have to deal with bad storms and potential tornadoes but they typically hit rural areas.

It’s a very clean and well organized city and surrounding areas but it’s been taken over by hipsters and people fleeing California and New York so now, all of the prices are starting to match that.
Nashville has some serious ghettos the facade of surrounding areas being all nice is not correct.

Rip dogman.
His romance threads after moving from Cali back to the boonies in that state were classic.
robo-cop-kfc.gif
Was that the guy romancing like a 16 year old?

How does it compare to California? How was living in Maine?

California of course has tons of cool things to do. I got really into surfing which of course you can't do in tennessee. It's just really expensive and hard to get around and at times. If you want to live near where you work sometimes it can be expensive and so people live really far away from where they work sometimes. Nashville has a lot of traffic now unfortunately. But I live much more inexpensively and have a lot more space than I would have in California for sure. I miss the ocean and all the cool restaurants and music things you could do but in California there can just be city after City and you don't even have any space between.

If you can do winter, Maine is a very cool state. I thought the people there were very nice and it was very safe. It has an ocean and I did surf in Maine while I live there. Maine is surrounding some pretty cool states that have a lot of big city things if you need to go investigate some stuff like that. Maine can get very Northwoods rural. But cities like Portland are nice bigger cities without being enormous. Very livable there if you can do winter.

Nashville has some serious ghettos the facade of surrounding areas being all nice is not correct.

There’s only a couple left. The rest have been gentrified and replaced with million dollar homes. There’s one big public housing area and that’s where most of that comes from. Most of the gangs and violence had moved about 15 miles outside of Nashville to a place called Antioch. There’s about 100 apartment complexes there and it looks OK from the outside but it’s full of rape, murder, mugging a, etc. TS - if some agent tries finding you a home there, run. There’s a reason if a home is being sold there. The city is trying to revitalize the area but it’s all low income tenants and too many apartments.

Bumping this thread since Im going to nashville next week to look at property. What areas should I look at and what else is fun to do? Being a recording engineer it sounds like a fun place for someone like me.

Nashville area is insane man. I mean, I guess I shouldn’t say that not knowing your budget or lifestyle, you could be very wealthy. In that case Brentwood, Franklin, Mount Juliet, Hendersonville are very nice. Murfreesboro would probably be a decent compromise if you’re middle class.

I go to the music City grand prix evey year I think it is better than the long beach GP better music obviously.

California of course has tons of cool things to do. I got really into surfing which of course you can't do in tennessee. It's just really expensive and hard to get around and at times. If you want to live near where you work sometimes it can be expensive and so people live really far away from where they work sometimes. Nashville has a lot of traffic now unfortunately. But I live much more inexpensively and have a lot more space than I would have in California for sure. I miss the ocean and all the cool restaurants and music things you could do but in California there can just be city after City and you don't even have any space between.

If you can do winter, Maine is a very cool state. I thought the people there were very nice and it was very safe. It has an ocean and I did surf in Maine while I live there. Maine is surrounding some pretty cool states that have a lot of big city things if you need to go investigate some stuff like that. Maine can get very Northwoods rural. But cities like Portland are nice bigger cities without being enormous. Very livable there if you can do winter.

How is the rent in comparison to California? Shit was always bad here (Cali native) but man is it getting worse. Going to be heading to Houston in a but. But was actually thinking about maybe hitting Maine a couple years after. How are the women as well?

Back