Are our favorite fighters mostly determined by where we're from?

Australian here so we dont have many champs so mine are a mixed bag. In saying that I do like Whittaker but thats more to do with that hes a bloody good bloke rather than being Australian

Favorites: Fedor, DC, KZ, Jorge, CCC, GSP, Weili, Anderson, Izzy, Diaz, Romero. I don't think so, for me

Nope. Ill root for khabib against someone who lives on my block.

I have no problem for someone rooting for another for that reason,of course.

Just never been a requirement of mine. I once watched Anderson/Weidman II with some brazilians.

I rooted for weidman,but some local people were huge anderson fans,and they couldnt believe it.
"HOW can people not root for their hometown guy???" they were incredulous.

They went on to explain in Brazil they dont have much glory,so when they have someone outstanding from brazil they MUST root for them,its no choice.

I tend to favor strikers who are good people in and out of the ring regardless of where they’re from. Respected DC until the blatant eyepokes. Lawler cause he comes to bang and is a good dude. Was entertained by McGregor until he punched an old dude and possible misconduct toward women. No longer a fan. Derrick Lewis isn’t a saint but he wants to beat the dog shit out of Hardy because he’s a woman beater, so I’m a fan. Holloway a killer in the ring but humble. Fan. Stipe no need to explain. Mir and Nelson went to high schools 10 minutes from where I grew up and don’t like either of em.
I pick favorites based on dudes who are monsters in the ring but would sit and have a beer with you.

No. But even I don't follow some Brazilian fighters, I almost always root for them.

Nope. Ill root for khabib against someone who lives on my block.

I have no problem for someone rooting for another for that reason,of course.

Just never been a requirement of mine. I once watched Anderson/Weidman II with some brazilians.

I rooted for weidman,but some local people were huge anderson fans,and they couldnt believe it.
"HOW can people not root for their hometown guy???" they were incredulous.

They went on to explain in Brazil they dont have much glory,so when they have someone outstanding from brazil they MUST root for them,its no choice.
Well, maybe you met some stupid Brazilians then. Do you know personally these "Brazilians" or just met them there? Who would say such a stupid thing like that, I'm just wondering.

No. But even I don't follow some Brazilian fighters, I almost always root for them.

Well, maybe you met some stupid Brazilians then. Do you know personally these "Brazilians" or just met them there? Who would say such a stupid thing like that, I'm just wondering.
I just met them at the bar.

This isn't a team sport where you go to your local stadium every weekend.

Watching a steroid freak from Russia beat up a Sumo wrestler from Afghanistan is way better than watching my two drunk neighbours rolling around.

Fuck where they come from, as long as they bleed.

I just met them at the bar.
I see... But something is very wrong with your "feeling" about Brazilians... I am certain that a few - and stupid - people would say "we have no glory" or "we must root for them", or "incredulous" about rooting for someone that is not from hometown...

This reminds me of another stupid Sherdogger saying that "his friend got shot in the back in Rio de Janeiro of the head out of nowhere" and when I confronted him with facts he ran away and got mocked here... Hope this is not your case, imagining about how Brazilians could react to things you don't even know. Because, tbh, I can't believe that someone from Brazil said these things to you. Doesn't make any sense.

Being born at all is just random dumb luck. Being proud of that would make me mildly insane, or at least not very thoughtful. Im a fan of individuals and individuality.

I favor styles. Fave fighters are Lawler, Shogun, Anderson and Wand. Diaz bros, Overeem, Ngannou, T Ferg, Edson Barboza are others i like.

I'm English and on average I probably like Brazilian fighters more than anywhere else.

I think in general the hard-core MMA fanbase is extremely non partisan when it comes to nationality.

Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush
From New York and of Indian ethnicity.

Favorite fighters:
- Conor
- Khabib
- Gaethje
- Masvidal
- GSP
- DC
- Stipe
- Ngannou
- Jones (love to hate him)
- Volkan
- Whittaker
- Romero
- Andrade
- Rose

I see... But something is very wrong with your "feeling" about Brazilians... I am certain that a few - and stupid - people would say "we have no glory" or "we must root for them", or "incredulous" about rooting for someone that is not from hometown...

This reminds me of another stupid Sherdogger saying that "his friend got shot in the back in Rio de Janeiro of the head out of nowhere" and when I confronted him with facts he ran away and got mocked here... Hope this is not your case, imagining about how Brazilians could react to things you don't even know. Because, tbh, I can't believe that someone from Brazil said these things to you. Doesn't make any sense.
Hm. Well I am recounting a story that happened to me in real life. Nowhere did i say ALL BRAZILIANS are just like these. Just that i happened to meet some and this is what they told me. So you should relax a bit buddeh.

Very cool. Was a BJ a good when he was young or kind of crazy even back then?
Not crazy that I would know of...he seemed very polite. His name was never in the newspaper for arrests. There was a small lanai (porch) on the side of the house and a heavy bag hung there. I did my road work and ended up running past their house daily and if ever he and his friends were hanging out they never were rude or gave any indication trouble maker attitude. He comes from a good family. I never even knew he was in MMA until he was on cards and my friends mentioned it. His mom has a different last name. I felt bad when his name popped up for drunk arrest bar stuff. At first we kinda thought he made a mistake but then it began to trend. And the 1st signs of that never made national news...kinda got brushed under the rug....

No way. Tons of shertards are Americans that are obsessed with Asians and Russians.

Yeah basically this. I love Sakuraba and Fedor. According to OP Scott Jorgenson should be my #1.

My favourites are all the current champions, subject to change though when title changes hands, then said fighter becomes my favourite.
You’re a Sherdogger. Winners are drawn to other winners.

Depends how nationalistic the person is. I'm from America but most of my favorite fighters are not.

French people suck.
Quebec should break off, and float into the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Back