Are people better looking now then they were in previous generations?

Are people better looking now than they were in previous generations?

• Total voters
hard to say. i have seen pictures of women and men from the late 1800s and they were fit, attractive people. we now know better how to take care of ourselves, yet at the same time half the planet will be obese soon probably.
the women are a lot more fit now, especially in the first world, and look good for a longer time because of it. but overall it looks like we are lonelier and more mentally ill than ever.

hard to say. i have seen pictures of women and men from the late 1800s and they were fit, attractive people. we now know better how to take care of ourselves, yet at the same time half the planet will be obese soon probably.
the women are a lot more fit now, especially in the first world, and look good for a longer time because of it. but overall it looks like we are lonelier and more mentally ill than ever.
Again I feel like a big issue is the media we consume has become ever more image obsessed, the US especially I feel this is endemic almost everywhere.

I do think this creates this very false impression of what a population actually look like, I mean Americans seemingly love to decry various other nations "ugly" in some way but relative to what? the false media image they have of their own society.

Last edited:
Again I feel like a big issue is the media we consume has become ever more image obsessed, the US especially I feel this is endemic almost everywhere.

I do think this creates this very false impression of what a population actually look like, I mean Americans seemingly love to decaler various other nations "ugly" in some way but relative to what? the false media image they have of their own society.
Yes, the image culture is skewing the objective image - there's really no genetic reason for us to somehow be waay better looking than people 100 years back. hell, those are our grandparents. And if you're young and look at instagram or tiktok all day, your image of what people normally look like is completely warped. of course ai enhanced and photoshopped taylor swift will look better than some women from 1920, but that's hardly a truthful comparison.

So many males these days look effeminate, imo. Too well groomed. Their beards, eyebrows, not a hair out of place, reminds me of that South Park episode.

You can arguably maintain looks better with surgery, but the sheer amount of obesity, i would default to the past having provably better looking people.
The top percentile of people are much healthier today thanks to technology and knowledge of nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress, longevity, etc.

It’s almost impossible to argue against. Just old people living in nostalgia here

More moisturiser, sun screen and variety of healthy foods.

Less lead, smoking indoors and carcinogenic additives in food.

So I think yes.

Although it's much easier to be fat now.

You can only answer that by country not worldwide. 3rd world countries that are now developed have much healthier citizens in general. 1st world countries in the west have depending on the country much less healthy citizens
because of fast food / processed food and lazy attitude in general. For example black people in the US had 13% obesity in the 60s (which was incredible high back then). Now more than every third black person is obese and we have millions more adipositas per supermagna.

Fat people arent attractive and we have more and more obese people. Mexico is night and day if you look at documentaries until I d say 70s/80s and then nowadays.Today a country of walrus people.

We only think people werent that attractive lets say 60/ 70 years ago because they did not wear tons of makeup or had photoshop. Also there were cultural shifts throughout time what is considered beautiful especially from late 19th century into the 20th. Look at Audrey Hepburn or Olivia Hussey. Hussey being so beautiful it just blinds you.

I work in patient care and have documentaries about medical spa facilities in the 30s. There were ZERO obese people. Time travelling back to 1920 Vienna you all would be amazed how well mannered, good looking everyone was.

Olivia Hussey
ee7eff18235ac18e0b7e6285f01dd73a.jpg

Nah the Neanderthals were the hottest So I'm gonna have to go with around 40,000 BC.

LOL this poll sucks, peeps need to stop believing what Hollywood shows them.

Of course people are WAY prettier today.

miss-u30-dorothy-dell.jpg

This is from 1930, literally the prettiest girl they could find in the whole world and trust, you don't want to see the other contestants.

I know heroin addicts better looking than this gal.

In the past, majority of people were short, flabby and ugly as hell. Today people exercise, use beauty products, eat and sleep well.

Not comparable.

The top percentile of people are much healthier today thanks to technology and knowledge of nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress, longevity, etc.

It’s almost impossible to argue against. Just old people living in nostalgia here
Is it? I bet if you go to a country where there are thinner people in general, that people will look better than a country with heavier people.

That is a way to do the comparison without getting nostalgic. Compare a place like current day Italy to Alabama.

I do think this creates this very false impression of what a population actually look like, I mean Americans seemingly love to decry various other nations "ugly" in some way but relative to what? the false media image they have of their own society.
America has pockets of stunning people, very wealthy areas, but in general, it’s no better than other places. What American has is the variety of places. If I’m visiting Newport Beach every day, i could convince myself that Americas is the most beautiful, but south LA…. Pass.

Hard times creates strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times creates weak men, weak men create hard times

Yes. John Lennon and Yoko Oho were sex symbols. If they were the sex symbols can you imagine how your average person looked?
Never heard this. Noone found either that attractive. Lennon was one of most famous people in the world. Yoko was just the person he was with. They were just a famous couple because of Lennon.

I think the top look better now, but the rest are the same, if not worse. Way more obesity overall, and that is just nasty.

I think a lot of people look worse today because there used to be higher standards for how you look before going out in public. A lot of people you see today just look dirty, nasty, hungover, and high.

Late 90s to early 2000s was a peak. People dressed better because they were not sitting at home or taking pics on the phone. If they wanted to be seen, they had to put the work in and actually go out.

No fat acceptance or neckbeard or any body positivity nonsense. Also none of that dopey druggy high out of your mind shit either. Either look like a bodybuilder or be ripped like a boxer or martial artist like Bruce Lee.

Brad Pitt from fight club was the ideal physique for us early 2000s teenagers.

Back