Are you still going to consider Ngannou as the undisputed HW champ in MMA?

Are you still going to consider Ngannou as the undisputed HW champ in MMA?

• Total voters
depends on how jones vs gane goes. If gane wins then ngannou is still the king. If jones wins then jones is the new king, especially if he wins by finish.

UFC fangirls are upset that Francis left as champ. Dana fought so hard for you dorks all these years.

<31>

Beautiful.

oZVWe2BHNmASAI995hozAHCelL6JxewnDgzyT-ysoZM.gif

Dude, if Ngannou stayed he wouldn't be fighting Gane again. Not in his next fight anyway.

Gane only got the title shot because the champ left. That's the only reason why.

So yes, Ngannou is still the baddest man. In most people's eyes anyway.

But sure, he isn't on paper.

I did include Jon, didn't I? Why ignore that, it really makes your post pointless.

If he's crushing cans in MMA in the PFL or Bellator, no. If they find a way to get top level guys to an org, like what Strikeforce was able to do with their HW division before the Zuffa purchase, Yes. I doubt they'll be able to do it though.
Wouldn't mind seeing Frank against Kongo. I actually think Kongo could beat him, has more of a style that could work against him. Age will factor in, I would guess. Bader could wrestlefuck him too. If he can avoid the right.

I did include Jon, didn't I? Why ignore that, it really makes your post pointless.
Oh noes that crushes everything.

My bad if I missed the Jones part lol. But it doesn't change anything. This is Jones first fight at HW. And even if he does beat Gane, Ngannou already beat him. So this doesn't make your argument any better. We're still left wondering who the baddest man really is.

But like I said. If we want to talk on paper, sure you're right. Doesn't change the fact Ngannou is still the man to beat at HW in 99% of people's minds. 1 win from Jones against a guy Ngannou already beat doesn't surpass all the guys Ngannou ran through in that division.

Oh noes that crushes everything.

My bad if I missed the Jones part lol. But it doesn't change anything. This is Jones first fight at HW. And even if he does beat Gane, Ngannou already beat him. So this doesn't make your argument any better. We're still left wondering who the baddest man really is.

But like I said. If we want to talk on paper, sure you're right. Doesn't change the fact Ngannou is still the man to beat at HW in 99% of people's minds. 1 win from Jones against a guy Ngannou already beat doesn't surpass all the guys Ngannou ran through in that division.

You're about to make me defend Jon, which is something that I'm not fond of, lol, but I'll do it if I think it's fair.

Yes, we're left wondering because one guy removed himself from the equation. Why should he benefit from that?

Francis is the only other guy to beat Ciryl, if Jon can do it too, that's a strong argument for him, especially if Francis isn't even in the equation.

The show goes on.

is khabib still Lw champ? is GSP MW champ? is Jon still LHW champ? no? no? and no? When BJ penn left while being WW champ did he continue being WW champ or came back and had to fight for it? IF you arent in the ufc you cant be a UFC champ, if you arent signed to a MMA organization you cant be a MMA champ. He is a free agent looking to get paid thats it

For a while. But I'll let it go in a few months.

I kind of consider belts like gold medals in international sports:
The show must go on, we should have a new gold medalist every year.
Even if the best players couldn't show up.
I might not feel like the gold medalists were the best team in the tournament, but I'll accept them as that year's champions.

He's not gonna be undisputed. Soon as Gane/Jones has a winner, there is a new UFC HW champ. That's a dispute right there. He has the lineal belt, completely different thing. BTW where's that old lineal belt thread? Haven't seen it in a while

I don't, he basically vacated.

I'm not knocking him, but he chose not to defend and move on. Good for him, but you can't have both, imo.

All this lineal talk, I guess in some context has its merit, but I don't see it as a real issue. Not the first time the UFC lost the lineal holder, but continued all the same. Hell they went almost a decade without the lineal title not long ago.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/lineal-championship-histories/heavyweights/

He's absolutely the best.

He beat everyone he needed to beat and he was well on his way out of the UFC before Jon made anything official.

The show can go on, but the title holder won't feel like THE MAN at HW.

Even if Jon wins, he would just be beating the guy Francis dominated with 1 leg.

Consider if Jon loses.....would you really consider Gane the baddest man on the planet, considering he was coming off a decisive loss?

That said, I do think it would have been good for Francis vs Jon as a one off and then leave, but It's probable that the UFC wouldn't just have a 1 fight contract, especially with a high profile fight against Boner and even more so if Francis were to win.

It's similar to when Pride closed: Most people saw Fedor as the lineal Champion or the absolute best HW with the same aura as the Champion.

Last edited:
I thought he looked awful against Gane, and that that fight was ugly sloppy considering it was between "two of the best in the world" for that division. Skillwise it looked worse than Jiri vs Glover, which the world was shocked at how sloppy (and absofuckinglutely entertaining) it was. On that note, you also gotta defend to be considered the best. He WAS the best at some point, sure. But he's got to prove that again.

If Gane smokes Jones, or vice versa, (or any number one contender match, etc.,) a champ can´t just stay on the sidelines, or even retire, and say "yup, I'm still the best". . . even though he may still be.

Last edited:
I guess not, cause he has been stripped at this point, did i consider Cejudo the champion after he retired? No, but i would consider them "equal" to the champ until proven different, i just hope he eventually makes a return or at the very least is able to collect belts on other orgs while being the Lineal HW champ, if there is such thing of course, not sure when the belt was vacated last.

Back