Media Ariel Hits Out at the 'Bastardized McGregor Effect'

SharpasaRazor

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Cliffs:

- Ariel says prime Conor shit talk was great, loads of fun and you could have sold tickets to the press conferences
- Says Conor went too far later but the moments from prime live on
- Now guys are trying to emulate that but they have no gift for talking so they're just resorting to stuff like dead family members and child abuse
- UFC never does anything to any of these guys and so this will just continue
- Props for guys like Leon who 'rise above it'

Largely agree with Ariel here and its intersting to note the modulation of the UFC back towards carny-ass shit since Endeavour took over. The long-running attempt to legitimise the sport has kind of been abandoned in the face of chasing the lowest common denominator.

It gets to a split in the fanbase too - some people are really just here for the violence and carny-ass shit (in a way I think Powerslap is almost better for these people than MMA), then you've got people who want to see the violence as part of a sport which has a few bare minimum standards to respect the craft thats going on within those fights.

Ariel bless in this instance I feel.

<5>

Fuck that, I'll take the fighters that perform in the cage over the ones that talk and shit the bed.
Especially after Colbitches bizarre showing this past weekend. I get trying to sell a fight on the one hand, but then fighting like a total bitch after talking massive crap, that is beyond pathetic.

Stating the obvious.

A lot of fighters saw Conor's success and thought they could get a piece of that, but had neither the wit nor the fighting skills to pull it off. Colby just took it to such an extent that it had to return some result, though I think people in the MMA bubble have an exaggerated impression of how much of an effect it's had.

Even Conor himself got lazy with his shtick, and just started being shouty and obnoxious.

It also benefits mma media by giving them content that covers a broader spectrum of the population

Ariel-Helwani-WWE-SmackDown.jpg

I'll take pro wrestling angles over two boring guys not selling the fight.
Naw

Real bad blood > mutual respect = charismatic shittalk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> phony smack talk

If you haven't got real bad blood & you can't do charismatic shittalking then go for mutual respect, fake drama is for weak ass bitches

Back