Askren is worst thing recently for mma?

Ben is a genius. Half the world outside of MMA know who he is now and that will benefit him long term. He basically just got paid and a ton of popularity for the price of one punch. Early stoppage too.
The question is, was that what he really wanted to be known for? He did spend his whole life trying to be the best at what he does. What accomplishments does he want remembered? Because what he is getting recognition for is his 2 KO losses from Masvidal and Jake Paul. Yes the money is nice, but I'm sure he wishes he could've got the money a different way without having to get KO. I'm sure he would rather be remembered for his wins and not his losses. You don't work that hard at something for that long and be willing to just throw it all away. That will eat at you in the back of your head.

You say he doesn't care about how mma is viewed, which may be true. He definitely wanted to cash out and he most likely figured what could be worse than the Masvidal KO? He can retire after and let all the active mma fighters deal with the backlash of his actions instead.

People also want to make it seem like the losses don't get to Askren. He was very arrogant before the losses. So the way he views himself as a fighter is very different to how he is being viewed now, so I think he personally cares more than he is willing to admit.

Ben Askren being an MMA champion represented a sport where one has to be a master of many martial arts. But Ben has been proving it to be completely untrue on his own.

2021- He goes into boxing and loses to a YouTuber whose only claim to fame prior was being on undercards and having a more famous brother.
2020-covid
2019- he got absolutely destroyed in another martial art (wrestling) by Jordan boroughs. And Askren was supposed to be MMAs best wrestler.

is it time ufc reconsider it’s no competition in other martial arts contract clauses again? Ben Askren has made MMA look very weak in front of two other martial arts audiences. This is not good for mma.
Sure.

Rickson by armbar.

The question is, was that what he really wanted to be known for? He did spend his whole life trying to be the best at what he does. What accomplishments does he want remembered? Because what he is getting recognition for is his 2 KO losses from Masvidal and Jake Paul. Yes the money is nice, but I'm sure he wishes he could've got the money a different way without having to get KO. I'm sure he would rather be remembered for his wins and not his losses. You don't work that hard at something for that long and be willing to just throw it all away. That will eat at you in the back of your head.

You say he doesn't care about how mma is viewed, which may be true. He definitely wanted to cash out and he most likely figured what could be worse than the Masvidal KO? He can retire after and let all the active mma fighters deal with the backlash of his actions instead.

People also want to make it seem like the losses don't get to Askren. He was very arrogant before the losses. So the way he views himself as a fighter is very different to how he is being viewed now, so I think he personally cares more than he is willing to admit.
Ben's legacy wrapped up when he retired in ONE. He got a chance to fight in the UFC which was his dream and that's why he gave it a go bad hip and all. Ben has faced losing long before Jake Paul. His loss in the Olympics was crushing and to be honest was probably worse to him than the Masvidal KO. I wouldn't call Ben arrogant as much as I would he knows how to push buttons and triggers people. Look at all the hatred for Ben on here and all he has is corny dad jokes. He knows that makes money. Wrestling is his passion and his actions are to bring attention to it.

Last edited:
Ben is a genius. Half the world outside of MMA know who he is now and that will benefit him long term. He basically just got paid and a ton of popularity for the price of one punch. Early stoppage too.
He's not a pop singer. Being famous for being a mediocre MMA fighter and getting your ass kicked by a youtuber isn't a well paid job. Even successful athletes from popular sports struggle financially after retirement. Just being famous (and for the wrong reasons) isn't going to make him rich.

MMA is weak. It's a glorified toughman contest with pro wrestling marketing. There's only so many times you can hear "Their boxing sucks because they have to train so many other things" until you get sick of the excuses. Meanwhile MMA fans ejaculate over gifs of McGregor slipping punches from elite level boxers like Glass Eddie and the great Ivan Buchinger.

The standard in MMA is so low. Take any UFC champ and ask yourself which rank of boxer they could beat in a boxing match. How many could even beat the rank 100 guy in their division? In what other sport would guys the level of Blachowicz and Sterling be considered elite?

Step away from MMA for a while and return with a critical eye and you'll see how much you've been conditioned to accept and ignore.

So in summary, if MMA wasn't weak, there would be nothing to expose.

He acts nonchalant about these lossses and people think he's laughing all the way to the bank but he's going to regret embarrassing himself and ruining any legacy he previously had

People who understand fighting understand that a guy with no striking skills losing a boxing match says nothing about MMA as a whole. I think Ben is more concerned about people who understand MMA, than that he is concerned about people who don't understand it. Because people who don't understand MMA will always be unreasonable, no matter what he does. They have been giving him, and other fighters, shit their whole careers. Why would they let them dictate what they should or shouldn't do? Or regret doing it, for their sake?

No one gives a shit about Askren lmao

He's known for being the guy who got slept in 5 seconds and by a YouTuber. It's not like he owns any businesses other than his wrestling school.

Askren made more money and collected more fame in retirement that in his career, good on him.

He acts nonchalant about these lossses and people think he's laughing all the way to the bank but he's going to regret embarrassing himself and ruining any legacy he previously had
100% the guy talked a big game about wanting to beat Khabib,GSP and Usman.he went to the worst road he himself couldn’t imagine especially the fastest knockout ever

The imbalance in pay in boxing and MMA is always going to mean boxers have an advanatge, unless there really washed up like Toney then its always going to be MMA fighters moving to boxing not the other way around.

I'd take a million to get ko'd by a youtube dork. The only downfall is a bunch of dorks off an mma site whom most likely have never done any athletically in their life are going to be the ones looking down on me? Sign me up. 99% of the worlds population has no clue who Askren is or cares. Again sign me up.

Ben Askren being an MMA champion represented a sport where one has to be a master of many martial arts. But Ben has been proving it to be completely untrue on his own.

2021- He goes into boxing and loses to a YouTuber whose only claim to fame prior was being on undercards and having a more famous brother.
2020-covid
2019- he got absolutely destroyed in another martial art (wrestling) by Jordan boroughs. And Askren was supposed to be MMAs best wrestler.

is it time ufc reconsider it’s no competition in other martial arts contract clauses again? Ben Askren has made MMA look very weak in front of two other martial arts audiences. This is not good for mma.
I mean, if you want more noobs and Conman/Masvidal fans, then sure, maybe it was "bad" for the sport: but anyone who even remotely likes MMA, or actually cares/is passionate about the sport couldn't care less.

P.S. Of course his boxing L was embarassing, especially after the build-up, but he made bank after already being retired (twice!), so I thought Sherdog was supposed to say "it's only business", and that he made his money and that's all that counts.

2020-covid

He was a fraud for years. He went to One FC and became an all-time great Can Crusher. He didn't take the sport seriously and was just cashing checks. It took him coming to the UFC for most Sherdoggers to realize he was a fraud. Hats off to Usman, Khabib, Francis, Jan and guys like that training to be the best Mixed Martial Artists. Reading people giving guys like Usman a hard time, calling him boring etc.. is/was ridiculous. The guy is a real warrior and this needs to be treated like a real sport. It's good to see Askren get exposed for what he is. It's also time to take that BMF belt and put it back into the cracker jack box.

Exactly and he said he made 1m Dollars which doesnt even go that far in todays world.

For that he pretty much gave up his legacy, pride and humiliated himself.

He made MMA a joke to locals.

I think it's great he showed who he really was. When he left Bellator he stopped caring. I'm glad he got exposed in the UFC. If he stayed retired people would've actually thought he could be GSP and other great UFC fighters. It's much different talking tough on twitter than actually getting in the cage with great fighters. Askren proved to be an all-time great twitter talker/diva but a terrible fighter in the cage. It was amazing to watch an over the hill Maia toy with Askren on the ground.

I have been conditioned to disregard post-prime shenanigans of people with legendary streaks in order to keep my sanity. It's not like their their downfall erases achievements. Fedor, Anderson Silva, pre-Nate Concon McG, even Bellator Askren. You say "delusions", I say "coping mechanism".
BJ Penn is the hero Hawaii needs right now.

It's the fans. They want Askren to kill himself or something with the shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back