Aspinall vs HWs of 10+ years ago

He's never beaten anyone on any of these guys level, especially not in their primes. I've seen people who think he can outwrestle prime DC. It's the most confusing thing to me. There's no UK MMA fighter in history that will ever be able to outwrestle DC. But forget outwrestling DC, what has he done to even suggest he could beat any of these guys anywhere? I truly don't get it.
Swangin and Bangin weak HW division of which he is an “Interim Champion” and these Sher-brits are saying Jon Jones is hiding from Tom?

Get real Sher-Biscuits…
<{yearp}> <{yearp}>

Beats them all imo, people will soon realise how great aspinall will be. Long way before that but it's coming

Tommy bless

Are you stll this salty that Jon beat the piss out of both the guys in your av?
Nice try. Please answer the question about which line of propaganda Dana wants because they directly conflict.

Is the new breed at HW the best thing ever or is the previous generation (Jon / the guy you are currently saying is GOAT) better? You are feeding into both UFC bullshit marketing points when they are mutually exclusive.

Nice try. Please answer the question about which line of propaganda Dana wants because they directly conflict.

Is the new breed the best thing ever or is the previous generation (Jon / the guy you are currently saying is GOAT) better? You are feeding both bullshit talking points and they are mutually exclusive.
I mean you're basically a cadaver if you're genuinely asking if Jon Jones could maybe beat any fighter ever. Like he's so far already done so.

Just absolutely brain dead with your takes lately mate.

I would favor Prime Cain-- reminder that the most prime Cain ever was a span of about six months. But during those six months he was the greatest of all time and would have probably even beaten Fedor.

Other than that though, I think most of the roster struggles against Tom. I would favor Tom heavily against Werdum, Reem. JDS would be an amazing fight and very competitive.
This has to be a tongue in cheek post.

"For one fight he was the best there ever waz, best there'll ever be. "

I mean you're basically a cadaver if you're genuinely asking if Jon Jones could maybe beat any fighter ever. Like he's so far already done so.

Just absolutely brain dead with your takes lately mate.
So you still won't answer which of the two applies. It is literally impossible for both to be true but your company says both. So which is it:

1. The previous generation (Jon) is superior to the current generation at HW

or

2. The current generation at HW is superior (ie: the game has evolved past Jon as of early 2024)

Please identify which is true. Anyone who isn't a UFC employee could select one or the other. You cannot because you must uphold all the corporate talking points, even when they directly conflict with each other.

This is sherdog so I’m going to say he loses to all of them cause of nostalgia
The comments here are a lot more objective and balanced than we'd see if it were about Aspinall vs. the top HWs of Pride.

Think you could close the thread after this.
I like a prime Overeem's chances a tiny bit more, like 52/48.
When was prime UFC Overeem, though? He flew out of the U.S. to skip a drug test vs. Brock. He was clearly juiced in that fight then got busted for PEDs before his next fight. If you're assuming Overeem could juice his way up to Ubereem, would Aspinal have the same unlimited juicing opportunity?

Gustafsson at that point arguably outstruck Prime Jones, not to mention the fact that DC was taking years off of his life to make LHW. I doubt he has those same durability flaws in his prime at HW. I want to know who Aspinall has beaten on the ground better than Mir and Barnett. And I want to know what evidence we have to suggest he could stop DC's takedowns? Like maybe a similarly skilled opponent in the wrestling who wasn't able to get him down?
What exactly have you seen from him so far that makes you think he could be competitive? I've never seen him in a five round fight. I've never seen him face a decent wrestler. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just genuinely curious.
Totally fair comment since most of this is just speculation anyway.

Yes. I would even say Gustafson striking is somewhat underrated and I'm not saying Aspinal has prime Gus level boxing and movement. But from what I've seen from Aspinal so far, despite being bigger and more "naturally framed" for HW than Gus, he's still very fast and moves as well if not better than some other HW from that time. My point in comparing him to Gus is, fighting DC at HW, and judging from how he has performed so far his finishing ration (shortest average fight time in UFC history), speed, power and most importantly, accuracy, I can easily see him avoiding DC:s takedowns long enough to catch him heavy. Especially since DC is a plodding type fighter looking for takedowns or to clinch, he will be there to be hit. DC did decision Roy Nelson after all ;)

Of course Aspinal hasn't beaten anyone with high level BJJ in the UFC yet, but that doesn't mean he has to and can't roll with DC and strike with Verdum or Mir. Not saying he would win, only that I can see him being competitive early on.

I think prime JDS starches him.
Cain breaks him
DC is a toss up
Carwin is a toss up

Fuck me, anyone else feel depressed looking at that list and comparing it to the current crop of HWs?

Anyway, I think Aspinall could beat everyone on that list.

Can't say for certain, there's a lot of stopping power & these are some big/powerful motherfuckers, but I don't see any name on that list and think "nah Aspinall has no chance here."

Prime DC seems like the most compelling fight to me purely due to his wrestling/ability to throw dudes around. But I honestly wouldn't count any of those guys out either. If JDS catches you on the chops its night-night.

Shame we won't be seeing HW fights of this calibre for the foreseeable future.

KOs all of them

It's ALMOST always better so bet on the younger new generation than live in the past.
Respectfully disagree. This talk about mma evolution is blown way outta proportion especially in the division above MW.

I think several fighters in the Bones n DC era would fuck through the LHW division today. Rumble, Gustaffson, Prime Texeira, Machida, etc. would fuck up all the contenders in the LHW division except Poatan. Even in Tito, Rampage, Iceman and Randy would smoke most of them.

Silva, Rockhold, Prime Weidman and Chael would be champ threats easily today, Silva would be champ in any era, no doubt. But the others might actually have a better chance in this period than then.

In HW, Tom doesn't have that many crazy impressive wins because the division is so shallow and Jones clogging it all, his win against Pav is great but thats just one single win. He hasn't fought Gane or Blaydes truly yet so theres a lot unanswered for me to say that he plows through all the heavies of the past. "On paper", he has the skills to beat anyone but can he do it consistently? who knows

Hard to gauge exactly how Tom does vs the elite HWs of the past 10 years since we've only seen him vs one top HW (whom himself wasn't really proven). So a lot of this is just assuming his skill set will be just as good vs those fighters.

I would favor him over most of the guys on that list. I actually think the hardest fight for him may by JDS as he's also a very good boxer and hard to take down.

He would get wrecked by

Prime Cain
Prime DC
Prime JDS
Prime Reem
Prime Werdum
What? No way, I'd take him to beat Cain, JDS and Werdum tho, also the current era of HW's we haven't even seen their real primes just yet and yet they are shaking up the sport a bit, plus GSP said that the athletes of today (notice he didn't say of the future cause those of the future can be worse and weaker for sure but who knows?) are normally better than those of yesterday.

The 2020's of the sport could be a better decade than the 2010's, let's wait and see but that's the nature of life, in any aspect of life, people like to get nostalgic and be like "oh the past was better than right now or the future" then when the days passes by, you'll all be like "The HW's of the 2020's were better than the 2030's" and so on.

Point is, have we even seen Aspinall in his real prime just yet to judge how he'd do with these HW's? also these are hypothetical matchups which isn't right all the time.

Nostalgia fan bois will say Aspinall would lose

But objective observers know Tom nukes them all
Based on what though? I'm not against the guy at all but I think it's a bit early to be comparing Aspinall to the HW elite from 10 years ago. He looks great right now. Let's see how he does.

Back