Movies Back to the Future II plot hole (do not enter if you do not want your childhood ruined)

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Something has always bothered me about this movie.

Biff grabs the sports almanac with all the records.

Biff goes back in time to give the almanac to his younger self so he can get rich (so far so good)

Biff goes back to 2015 to bring back the time machine (wait, what)

Marty and Doc Brown return to a very different 1985.

The duo discover that Biff took the almanac and got rich. Marty proposes going back to 2015 to stop Biff. Doc Brown says this wouldn't work as they would go back to the 2015 in a different timeline where Biff was super rich.

HOW DID BIFF GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL 2015 TO RETURN THE TIME MACHINE THEN?

I'm unsure interesting though. Maybe one of them movie reviewers have a video on this, i will check.

It's been a long time since I watched it. But why can't he use the time machine again? Once to go back in time, and then again to go......Back to the Future?

Old biff goes to young biff gives book then old biff returns? If so then he did it before young biff changed the future
I see what you are getting at but think about the events of part 3

In part 2, after destroying the book, doc and Marty fully intend to go back to 1985. Doc gets hit by lightning in the time machine and ends up in 1885 and stays there, hides the time machine so Marty can find it in 1955 to go back to 1985.

So the timeline Marty resided in had already been altered by doc's actions after they destroyed the book, after he went back to 1885. The time machine being hidden in 1955 is the proof that the timelines had already been altered in the past.

So when Biff hands off the book he already changed the timeline and if we are being faithful to science, he should have gone back to the 2015 with the altered timeline.

Back to the Future Part II is one of my favourite movies of all time. The short answer is that it’s simply a plot hole.

There’s actually a deleted scene where after old Biff comes back to 2015 you see him like die and disappear, the insinuation being that at some point in time prior to 2015 he dies as a result of altering the timeline.

As to why you don’t see the timeline alter as soon as old Biff takes the DeLorean — plot hole.

Marty’s mum and dad would surely have at one point when he was growing up went.

“Hey you’re that guy”

Time travel movies always have daft things to overlook.

Biff had to go back to his own future, not the alternate one he created.

Marty’s mum and dad would surely have at one point when he was growing up went.

“Hey you’re that guy”

Time travel movies always have daft things to ov lol

I don’t understand why people always say this. I don’t agree. Why would anyone remember what someone they only knew for literally one week as teenagers and haven’t seen for 30 years look like? I mean it would be one thing if they were longtime friends and classmates, or if they had photographs of them that they could look back on again and again throughout the years, but a person would have to have an unbelievably good memory to say “hey, my son sure looks and sounds a lot like that Calvin Klein guy that kind of hung around my school for a week 30 years ago”.

I never found the Back To The Future sequels as great as advertised. To me they were just fun, popcorn movies and that's all

Your not exactly the first person to point out that time travel films break causality,

Back to the Futures view seems to me that whilst individual people can vanish like old Biff does in the deleted scene(and he's clearly sick even without that) and Marty threatens to in the original you do not see wholesale shifts in the timeline until you actually shift time. So the 2015 future doesnt change to the "Rich Biff" future as soon as he leaves but when Doc and Marty go back to 1985 they go into the "Rich Biff" timeline.

I never found the Back To The Future sequels as great as advertised. To me they were just fun, popcorn movies and that's all
I thought the 2nd film was great personally and manages to both make reference to the original a lot but also have a very different tone to it, I think one of the best blockbuster sequels in that regard for me.

The 3rd film on the other hand I never rated that highly, I think its just okish, rather low effort western recycling of the original carried by the cast, actually works best as that little trailer at the end of the 2nd film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back