8. Genesis - In Too Deep
9. Aceyalone - All Balls (Don’t bounce)
10. Accept - Balls to the Wall
11.Trae Tha Truth - I'm From Texas
12. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Get Up, Stand Up
13. Fugazi - I'm So Tired

New Baker's Dozen:

13 Songs With Mistakes Left In
(Criteria: a song on a studio album on a major label, meaning not a live album or a demo from a basement). Please specify what the mistake is:

1. The Get-Up Kids - "Out Of Reach" - the acoustic guitar in the intro is clearly off-time. It sounds like someone who just learned how to play, and takes a break to adjust their fingers each time a new chord comes up.

(Criteria: a song on a studio album on a major label, meaning not a live album or a demo from a basement). Please specify what the mistake is:

1. The Get-Up Kids - "Out Of Reach" - the acoustic guitar in the intro is clearly off-time. It sounds like someone who just learned how to play, and takes a break to adjust their fingers each time a new chord comes up.

2. The Breeders - Cannonball - the bass in the intro came in in the wrong key. Josephine Wiggs: "I didn’t realize I was playing the wrong note until the guitars came in...We all thought it sounded cool. We left it like that."

2. The Breeders - Cannonball - the bass in the intro came in in the wrong key. Josephine Wiggs: "I didn’t realize I was playing the wrong note until the guitars came in...We all thought it sounded cool. We left it like that.

3. Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - According to drummer Ron Bushy, organist-vocalist Doug Ingle wrote the song one evening while drinking an entire gallon of Red Mountain wine. When the inebriated Ingle then played the song for Bushy, who wrote down the lyrics for him, he was slurring his words so badly that what was supposed to be "in the Garden of Eden" was interpreted by Bushy as "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

2. The Breeders - Cannonball - the bass in the intro came in in the wrong key. Josephine Wiggs: "I didn’t realize I was playing the wrong note until the guitars came in...We all thought it sounded cool. We left it like that.

3. Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - According to drummer Ron Bushy, organist-vocalist Doug Ingle wrote the song one evening while drinking an entire gallon of Red Mountain wine. When the inebriated Ingle then played the song for Bushy, who wrote down the lyrics for him, he was slurring his words so badly that what was supposed to be "in the Garden of Eden" was interpreted by Bushy as "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

4. Van Halen - Eruption • According to Eddie he could have played it better because of a mistake he made. (during the finger-tapping/hammering section of the song he briefly plays three notes in a descending pattern instead of an ascending pattern. When he's hammering on the 9th-12th-17th frets, instead of being in that order (ascending), as all the notes had been up until that point, he accidentally ends up in a descending pattern hammering the 17th-12th-9th (in that order - descending), and quickly reverses it to the correct ascending pattern again.)

4. Van Halen - Eruption • According to Eddie he could have played it better because of a mistake he made. (during the finger-tapping/hammering section of the song he briefly plays three notes in a descending pattern instead of an ascending pattern. When he's hammering on the 9th-12th-17th frets, instead of being in that order (ascending), as all the notes had been up until that point, he accidentally ends up in a descending pattern hammering the 17th-12th-9th (in that order - descending), and quickly reverses it to the correct ascending pattern again.)

5. Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's 115th Dream - Dylan cracks up during the first line causing the producer to also crack up before calling for a restart. The whole sequence is left as a sort of intro to the song.

5. Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's 115th Dream - Dylan cracks up during the first line causing the producer to also crack up before calling for a restart. The whole sequence is left as a sort of intro to the song.

6. Todd Rungren - Hello It’s Me - A few false starts were left in, label released the song without cutting it or letting him recut apparently. Gave it a nice intro. There are a few others mistakes/adlibs left in the song as well. Including the background singers repeating “think of me” at the end which also ended up being a great addition to the song

6. Todd Rungren - Hello It’s Me - A few false starts were left in, label released the song without cutting it or letting him recut apparently. Gave it a nice intro. There are a few others mistakes/adlibs left in the song as well. Including the background singers repeating “think of me” at the end which also ended up being a great addition to the song

7. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing - "Among its highlights are what Rolling Stone dubbed "the best use of dog barks since Pet Sounds". "That was Annie," recalled singer Perry Farrell. "I'd got her from a dog shelter and she was quite needy, so I brought her down to the studio that day rather than leave her at home… I'm singing in the booth with the headphones on and Annie gets all excited and starts going, 'Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!'… The fact that she ended up on the track was just pure coincidence."

7. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing - "Among its highlights are what Rolling Stone dubbed "the best use of dog barks since Pet Sounds". "That was Annie," recalled singer Perry Farrell. "I'd got her from a dog shelter and she was quite needy, so I brought her down to the studio that day rather than leave her at home… I'm singing in the booth with the headphones on and Annie gets all excited and starts going, 'Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!'… The fact that she ended up on the track was just pure coincidence."

8. Led Zeppelin - The Crunge. They're in a funky James Brown groove. It keeps going and Robert Plant says 'I'm trying to find the bridge. Have you seen the bridge?' meaning the bridge of the song. Finally someone says 'Where is that confounded bridge?' and it just ends.

Last edited:

8. Led Zeppelin - The Crunge. They're in a funky James Brown groove. It keeps going and Robert Plant says 'I'm trying to find the bridge. Have you seen the bridge?' meaning the bridge of the song. Finally someone says 'Where is that confounded bridge?' and it just ends.

9. Velvet Underground - Heroin - Mo Tucker stopped playing the drums at one point because she couldn't hear the rest of the band and she figured if she stopped playing, so would they. But they didn't so after a few bars she starts up again.

9. Velvet Underground - Heroin - Mo Tucker stopped playing the drums at one point because she couldn't hear the rest of the band and she figured if she stopped playing, so would they. But they didn't so after a few bars she starts up again.

10. The Police - Roxanne - When recording vocals for the track at Surrey Sound Studios, Sting accidentally sat down on a keyboard, producing an atonal piano chord and started to laugh. The band decided to keep it in on the final recording.

10. The Police - Roxanne - When recording vocals for the track at Surrey Sound Studios, Sting accidentally sat down on a keyboard, producing an atonal piano chord and started to laugh. The band decided to keep it in on the final recording.

11. David Bowie - Life on Mars - In the initial recording a phone starts ringing and someone swears. They stopped and did another take to try and record over it but it managed to stay in at the end.

11. David Bowie - Life on Mars - In the initial recording a phone starts ringing and someone swears. They stopped and did another take to try and record over it but it managed to stay in at the end.

12. Gnr- Sweet Child o Mine. The story is the “where do we go now” was lyrical filler as that part hadn’t been written. It was left in because it worked.

Last edited:

12. Gnr- Sweet Child o Mine. The story is the “where do we go now” was lyrical filler as that part hadn’t been written. It was left in because it worked.

13. Rolling Stones - I'm Free - the rhythm on this song is kind of messed up and its mostly due to the tambourine. I think Charlie Watts who is usually a solid drummer was thrown off and as a result some of his fills sound amateurish. Its all kind of a mess.

Back