Ben Askren and the art of emotional intelligence

Ben comes across as very articulate for a fighter in the longer interviews I’ve listened to, I hate that he got smoked by Snake Paul, but glad he got that pay day. Unfortunately for Askren he unwittingly committed self sabotage by crossing Dana, IMO his career trajectory could be quite different if he didn’t purposefully ruffle feathers of the rival promotions president. He ended up having a good career, but imagine if Ben actually took learning striking seriously and left Bellator and signed with the UFC in 2013 when he was still prime at around 30. Timeline wise, GSP fought his last fight at WW later that same year, we could’ve been talking about Askren as aire apparent instead of Hendrix or Lawler. But he severely fucked that up and talked a ton of shit on DW, then thought an apology music video would get him signed with the UFC, total fail.

seems more like a troll than an apology. he's basically pointing out how good he is and how he smashed everyone and is throwing a half hearted apology so Dana can save face on his petty behavior and bring in a guy who should've been in the UFC years ago.

Guess they will benefit from the fighting money paying for his long-term care when he can’t feed himself anymore
he's one of the least likely MMA fighters to have CTE, he's barely ever been hit in his career and it's obvious he didn't spend most of his time in training improving his striking . It's repeated blows to the head overtime that cause CTE not knockouts.

His rational calculation of risks is quite poor. He easily got the knock the fuck out. Tarnished his legacy. Made his kids more susceptible to being bullied. Made it more prone for his wife to leave him for another man while taking his money, half his pension, the house, and the kids all after the divorce settlement while he is only left with child support and alimony payments to pay.

This all could of been avoided. Emotionally intelligent my ass.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Who's wife is going to leave them for losing a fight?

View attachment 895836 View attachment 895838
Women will always monkey branch to the bigger better deal if they can. They are hardwired that way.

lmfaooo that's that red pill bullshit. Man said "ALWAYS."

I can honestly say it's never happened to me so I can't relate. I KNOW that it does happen. I know that SOME women are like this. Hell, MANY women are like this. Mostly the shallow, image based, materialistic types. But I know that not all women are like this. The average woman is quite a bit more nuanced than men give them credit for. I follow quite a bit of models on social media and the kinds of guys that these girls end up with pretty much destroys this theory.

In reality, humans in general like to upgrade. It's not specific to women. But not everyone will cheat or divorce just because of a so called upgrade.

And relating this back to Askren and his wife.......who's she going to divorce him for? Another millionaire? Unlikely scenario. So even if he did increase his odds of getting divorced, he probably increased it by, what, like .01%? LMAO. Like, seriously, I doubt his wife is going to leave him after getting KO'd considering that he got paid well for it.

I love how no one talks about how he trashed other fighters for years before losing to Masvidal.

Because it’s just selling a fight.

You can see by his reputation behind closed doors that it was just a show. And the Masvidal loss proved he can take it as well as he can give it.

Because it’s just selling a fight.

You can see by his reputation behind closed doors that it was just a show. And the Masvidal loss proved he can take it as well as he can give it.
No it wasn’t, he was trashing fighters before he ever fought them. He repeatedly said he was a top3 WW while he was in the UFC and was trashing Masvidal before he’d even know he was fighting him. Once he found out he was he crossed the line on several occasions. I’ve never heard him say anything respectful about these other fighters just because he is now graceful in defeat (because he knows it’s out of his control) does not really change the fact that his arrogance is what made his downfall a bigger topic than it ever needed to be.

Back