Best Diet/Schedule for HIIT and TUT?

WhiteMousse

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I've been changing up my workout for the past week, and I emphasize a week because I started last Wednesday and I've already experienced noticeable results. I don't know which one is contributing more but I know that one, or maybe both, are working.

My HIIT cardio is almost every day except for Saturdays and Sundays, in which I usually just do regular 40-minute sessions. I lift Monday Wednesday and Friday, and negatives seem to be doing an amazing job. I think a couple years ago I was doing this, before I got back into school but along the way I transitioned into just putting up the bar and doing reps. My negatives are around eight seconds per exercise, and I do four sets of eight different exercises.

For the HIIT cardio I will either run or do elliptical bike. The first twenty minutes or so I usually do 1:1 or 1:1.5, getting my heart rate up to 167-170, sometimes higher, then the last ten minutes it gets a little harder and I get around 1:2, maybe a bit more.

So I know this works. I'm able to do this while eating around 2000 calories a day, sometimes less. I'm happy to increase caloric intake as long as I know what I'm putting in and when I'm putting it in, is going to help build mass instead of love handles.

So given my schedule, what do I eat? How much? And WHEN? Just to give a comprehensive schedule:

Monday: 30 minutes of HIIT cardio. Four sets of bench press, four sets of pullups, four sets of crunches, four sets of shrugs, four sets of dips, four sets of oblique rotations, four sets of lateral raise and four sets of pec fly.

Tuesday: 30 minutes of HIIT cardio. Four sets of curls, four sets of crunches and four sets of oblique rotations.

Wednesday: 30 minutes of HIIT cardio. Four sets of bench press, four sets of pullups, four sets of crunches, four sets of shrugs, four sets of dips, four sets of oblique rotations, four sets of lateral raise and four sets of pec fly.

Thursday: 30 minutes of HIIT cardio. Four sets of curls, four sets of crunches and four sets of oblique rotations.

Friday: 30 minutes of HIIT cardio. Four sets of bench press, four sets of pullups, four sets of crunches, four sets of shrugs, four sets of dips, four sets of oblique rotations, four sets of lateral raise and four sets of pec fly.

Saturday: 40 minutes of standard cardio.

Sunday: 40 minutes of standard cardio.

I follow a similar am/pm split for HIIT cardio and resistance training/endurance stuff. Unfortunately limited in options right now due to state authoritarianism.
Diet wise you have to find what suits you - fasting to different degrees has always worked for me - atmo I eat between 12/1 and 8pm.
High protein/medium fat/low carb is a good basis but again different people respond differently. Once you know your calorie needs (online calculators are a good guide) as long as you keep your protein high and eat plenty of fresh fruit/veg you should be fine.
I aim for 200-250g+ protein a day on 2200-2600 calories which is fine, I'm rarely hungry. If I am I just add more protein. 2 smoothies and 3 meals - protein spread throughout the day with carbs early on and effectively keto for the last 2 meals.

A good day for me looks like:

7-8am - running/skipping/shadow boxing/heavy bag etc 30-45mins
12: Smoothie - BCAAs/bannana/1cup mixed berries/beetroot juice + carrot/spinach/kale (basically whatever veg available) + multivit/ZMA
1pm: Breakfast - porridge, 1egg 3whites with spinach/peppers, whey protein + milk
3pm - Lunch - chicken breast/white fish/tuna with small portion of rice or occasionally potato + lots of veggies
4-6pm - alternate a long walk 4-8 miles (usually weighted) or resistance session 30-45mins mostly BW/TRX
7pm - Dinner - steak/oily fish/prawns + veggies/salad
8pm - Smoothie - protein/milk/egg whites/1 egg + multivits/omegas

Average daily stats last week according to myfitnesspal - 141g carbs/97g fat/238g protein/2347 calories. (I'm 6ft2 about 260lbs).

Back