Best mid back lifts?

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Any back stuff that is not lat focused. Especially the harder to hit mid/lower traps and surrounding muscles. What's recommended with dumbells, barbells and even calisthenics?

KB swings
Rows - bar - bells - cables - gorilla
Shrugs - Reverse Shrugs
Inverted rows
Face pulls
Devils Press
Reverse hyper
Superman plank with arm rows
Heavy carries
lean back pull ups

I am a total noob at all this but i feel like oly lifting and the snatch specifically targets the mid back a lot.

Thanks guys, will look into a lot of this and as sherdog does I appreciate the little derail in here too.

Sandbag throws. Just messing around yesterday and toss a bunch over the yoke from distance.
Traps and mid back are wide awake today.

If you want to minimize your lat and upper trap engagement and specifically build your mid back, then any kind of horizontal pull is your best bet. Close grip pulldowns with an exaggerated lean back, chest supported rows, neutral wide grip seated rows, pendlay barbell rows, T-bar rows. They all help develop mid back thickness, especially if you retract your shoulder blades during the pull. Heavy weight, with good form.

Carries, shrugs and so on will target your upper traps more than anything, same with snatches which require a much greater time investment to learn. Deadlifts or RDL's with straps are pretty great though if you understand how you engage your traps and lats before the pull. Facepulls are great for mid back definition and rear delts.

Try adding close grip pulldowns with a lean, neutral wide grip seated rows, T-bar rows, strapped RDL's and facepull x2 spread out during the week for the next two months and see if your mid back doesn't grow significantly.

Google "straight arm strength" -- you could spend the rest of your life progressing in these. It's all about scapula control and some exercises will require incredible mid-back strength.

Zercher squats

Jefferson curls

Sandbag holds. Find one close to / over your body weight and just hold it as long as you can. Not resting it on your thighs . Ninja turtle back

Compound: Zercher and SSB stuff.

Isolation: Close grip pulling/rowing movements.

I've been focusing on front squats again for the first time in years, and feel it in my mid back. Front squat is considered a leg exercise, but the point of failure almost always come from the back, not the legs.

Because of a knee surgery, I can't go heavy on squats, and was told not to try, but I've always just done lots of body weight squats.

I'm trying to build up to a set of 30 at 115 which is like the spiritual equivalent of an intermediate back squat. 285 1RM back squat * .8 for reduced front squat loads * .5 for 30 reps = 114. I know it is better to be able to do a real, heavy lift, but I think these high rep exercises are good for my health.

I got to 25 the other day before I gave up, but I think it is good to build up slow on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back