Best "Pop" song in the last 20 years?

ShA.gif

That’s like asking what’s the best venereal disease of the 21st century. Let’s hope it’s curable.

There are far better "pop" songs to be found outside of the mainstream, IMO. I find most mainstream "pop" suffers from "too many cooks" syndrome.

The Magic Numbers - Love Me Like You

Teenage Fanclub - I'm In Love

That’s like asking what’s the best venereal disease of the 21st century. Let’s hope it’s curable.

Unfortunately it's not curable. P2P sharing and streaming have taken most of the money out of music for songwriters who aren't performing their own material, which is why most of the stuff out there right now is heavily produced mumbo jumbo written by a team of hacks including the "artist," producer, writer (s) and ghost writers.

Anyone with a modicum of actual songwriting talent is writing and publishing their own shit or writing novels, screenplays, etc. Stuff that actually still pays.

This one's legit smart, catchy, well written/produced. Britney's vocals are the weakest part. Still, it's a pop masterpiece in an era of shit.

Some other songs i'd throw into the mix for best of the Aught's would be:

The Killers: Mr. Brightside/All the things i've done
Robyn: Dancing on my own
M.I.A. Paper Planes
Rihanna: Umbrella
Lee Ann Womack: I hope you dance

Last edited:
I haven't kept up much with pop music in the past 10-15 years since most of it is unlistenable to me.
Standout for me was Lana Del Rey, out of her big songs I think Blue Jeans was the best one.

Unfortunately it's not curable. P2P sharing and streaming have taken most of the money out of music for songwriters who aren't performing their own material, which is why most of the stuff out there right now is heavily produced mumbo jumbo written by a team of hacks including the "artist," producer, writer (s) and ghost writers.

Anyone with a modicum of actual songwriting talent is writing and publishing their own shit or writing novels, screenplays, etc. Stuff that actually still pays.
Sounds about right, I just miss new singer songwriters without a public agenda. Everyone has their agenda, I don’t care who you are, but mainstream isn’t very inclusive.

Sounds about right, I just miss new singer songwriters without a public agenda. Everyone has their agenda, I don’t care who you are, but mainstream isn’t very inclusive.

It's a sign of the times. You see the same thing in TV & Film, Stand-up comedy. This is because so many of the people who are in the arts nowadays come from privilege, have no real life experience, nothing to say. So they latch onto whatever the social cause of the moment is.

I haven't kept up much with pop music in the past 10-15 years since most of it is unlistenable to me.
Standout for me was Lana Del Rey, out of her big songs I think Blue Jeans was the best one.

Surprised it wasn't the one about her pussy tasting like soda

Most popular it's probably

my favorite

Last edited:
Back