• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best sub compact or pocket pistols

Ok, what do you guys think about a Glock 29 gen 4 and I would stagger hp/fmj rounds ?

Glock 29 is what I used to carry backpacking and bow hunting in the lower 48. Staggering fmj and hps is stupid as hell though.

My experience with pocket pistols.

Kahr: Mushy trigger. Do not like.

Kel-Tec: Also mushy trigger. Do not like.

Walther PPK: James Bond's weapon of choice. Sexy gun, but not a big fan of .38 special.

M&P Shield: Nice feel. Trigger is good. Looks promising.

XDM Subcompact: A bit on the heavy side and personally not a fan of grip safety. Otherwise great trigger and nice grip. You'll want the extended magazine if you have big hands like me.

Sig P938: This gun is sexy as fuck. Slide is buttery smooth. Trigger is nice. Built like a mini 1911. Even comes with stock night sights. However, it's SAO just like a 1911, but can also be carried cocked n locked. That may or may not fly for conceal carry depending on your preference.

Please no .380 for cougars and bears.

"Concealed carry" and "bear killing" are such different requirements. Pistol calibers won't hit nearly as hard as a big revolver like a .44 Mag and up. Suitable penetrative hunting cartridges are available for revolvers but for pistols a FMJ might be best. A 10mm with the something like silhouette bullets for max penetration would be far far better than anything like a .380.

LMAO! If a bear pops up in front of you and you have a gun smaller than a .44 magnum, you might as well shoot yourself. :icon_lol:

My experience with pocket pistols.

Kahr: Mushy trigger. Do not like.

Kel-Tec: Also mushy trigger. Do not like.

Walther PPK: James Bond's weapon of choice. Sexy gun, but not a big fan of .38 special.

M&P Shield: Nice feel. Trigger is good. Looks promising.

XDM Subcompact: A bit on the heavy side and personally not a fan of grip safety. Otherwise great trigger and nice grip. You'll want the extended magazine if you have big hands like me.

Sig P938: This gun is sexy as fuck. Slide is buttery smooth. Trigger is nice. Built like a mini 1911. Even comes with stock night sights. However, it's SAO just like a 1911, but can also be carried cocked n locked. That may or may not fly for conceal carry depending on your preference.

LMAO! If a bear pops up in front of you and you have a gun smaller than a .44 magnum, you might as well shoot yourself. :icon_lol:

Ha! Awesome!

/thread high jack

Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, or S&W Bodyguard for .380.
Ruger LC9 for 9mm.
Ruger LCR or S&W 642 for .38.
It sure would be nice if Glock would make a single stack 9mm. :(

PPK is a 380 auto, not a 38 special. Both are inadequate for self defense IMO.
1911s are also meant to be carried cocked and locked.

Shot placement is most important, I'd prefer my chances with the extra rounds id get out of a 10mm like a glock 20 or 29.

I think a hk45 with some .45 super would do the trick on a bear quite nicely.

Your mom thought it was a good idea

What???

First it's staggering different bullets in mags, then m jokes???

I hope to god you do t actually get your hands on a firearm. You clearly don't have te knowledge, maturity or common sense that should be required to own one.

I'd go with something chambered in 9mm. If you think a Glock 26 is too thick, get an S&W Shield (without manual safety) or an XDs.

Ok, what do you guys think about a Glock 29 gen 4 and I would stagger hp/fmj rounds ?

Get a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore bore 220 grain hardcasts if you're going into bear country. Carry the G20 mags for back up. If you're expecting a cougar or deer encounter, I think the 180 grain HP would be fine. The full power 10mm rounds have some stank, so hang on.

Get a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore bore 220 grain hardcasts if you're going into bear country. Carry the G20 mags for back up. If you're expecting a cougar or deer encounter, I think the 180 grain HP would be fine. The full power 10mm rounds have some stank, so hang on.

Remember though that the glock factory barrels don't shoot hard cast very well and are also not fully supported so if you want to
Blast away with full house 10mm, I would get a lone wolf barrel for the 10mm glocks.

Remember though that the glock factory barrels don't shoot hard cast very well and are also not fully supported so if you want to
Blast away with full house 10mm, I would get a lone wolf barrel for the 10mm glocks.

Buffalo Bore tests their 10mm ammo out of a stock Glock.

Not exactly. I have lots of tiny scars on my hand from a 9x25 Lone Wolf Distributors barrel that sheared after 600 rounds of Doubletap FMJ.

LWD makes very affordable aftermarket barrels with tight chambers and conventional rifling. The only real advantage they offer is that they are *sometimes* more accurate than the factory barrel, that and their conversion barrels are cheaper and have a wider variety of lengths than the factory offerings. The chamber support is for the most part identical or in the case of .40 and 10mm\ 9x25 actually weaker on the LWD barrel, and the LWD barrels are made of steel (416 stainless) that is significantly softer and less resistant to corrosion than the factory Glock barrel (Nitrided and forged 41xx series carbon steel).

I use LWD barrels, most recently our shop used them to provide a local LE agency with some low cost G18 based SMG's. I would never use them for any high pressure round (10mm, 9x25, or hot .357, .40) for more than an few thousand rounds. In my opinion the best 10mm barrel for a Glock is the factory 6" Hunter barrel, you get the durability and reliability of a factory barrel with the extra length to get the most out of hotter 10mm loads.

The lead bullet problem is very easy to solve: clean your damned gun. Don't run a bore snake with some RemOil on in down the pipe and call it a day, take some time and really get things cleaned. The nuclear option if the leading issue really bothers you is to have Bar-Sto cut you a slightly looser than their norm chamber on a carbon steel barrel, then have it nitrided. With all my schmoozing and name-dropping I was quoted $205 for the barrel, $55 for the chamber work and call it $75 for the nitriding if you throw the barrel in as part of a larger order. That barrel will have a true fully supported chamber, excellent durability, and great accuracy. It will come at the cost of reliability, however.

Yeah bars to makes great barrels, I have a few that I got from a friend who worked in a shop. Don't have one for my 10mm though.

how do you like the 9x25? I have been interested in trying it out.

That's one of their stupid subcompact models though, doesn't count as a Glock. :icon_chee

Back