Best Ukrainian boxer?

When you talk Wladimir, you always have to consider if he's the champ, and therefore can pick the place (usually Germany), pick the judges, the referee. This leads to him grabbing and holding at will... Why do you think he did so little of that when he boxed Anthony Joshua as a challenger in London?
Without that advantage he loses in plenty of fantasy match ups, in my opinion. Bernard Hopkins said he'd give him a C- as a boxer.

Vitali Klitschko, total different story. He was a road warrior.
If Wlad was Ottke he had win vs Fury on judges cards....in Germany.

Wlad was considered as tickets seller in Germany and therefore ... yes it was a bit tradition that referees were lenient if A side tickets sellers used excessive holding ....this is correct.
About judges ...IMHO de didn't cares much.

Germany was notorious that it was possible to win big tickets seller A side guy in Germany on judges cards ( Maske , Wlad, Huck etc ) with exception in famous Ottke. Since Ottke was IRL very talented it wasn't possible to finish him in distance and if you get till decision U knew Ottke will get decision on judges cards.

P4P it could be Usyk, but Vitali is the best HW Ukranian boxer we've seen--he wasn't as skillful as his brother but he was a better "fighter."

WTF

That makes no sense. That's exactly the kind of sparring partner you need- someone you can learn from.
No. Going into a fight (camp) you don’t want someone lighting your ass up and making you second guess your skills or risk a cut/injury going into a big fight

It is but Wlad was embarrassed. That's why he tossed him out after 1 round. Some members of the media were there and allowed to watch.

The Klits seem a bit precious despite being monsters. Remember Vitali went around telling people his loss to Pele Reid in kickboxing was due to a 'kick to the thigh'?

And then the video came out showing he got knocked the fuck out. Full-blown Shaggy 'wasn't me' stuff.

The Klits seem a bit precious despite being monsters. Remember Vitali went around telling people his loss to Pele Reid in kickboxing was due to a 'kick to the thigh'?

And then the video came out showing he got knocked the fuck out. Full-blown Shaggy 'wasn't me' stuff.
Yeah I recall this. It was a bad look for him. I've seen the head kick that knocked him out. That was brutal.

No. Going into a fight (camp) you don’t want someone lighting your ass up and making you second guess your skills or risk a cut/injury going into a big fight
This is true but it works both ways. You obviously would want guys that can test you in camp to prep you for your fights ("iron sharpens iron" as they say). The key is just to find the right balance. Usyk could've held back a bit. It sounds like he was going all out since Johnny Nelson said he was bossing Wlad around. Some guys don't know how to spar light or medium intensity. It's always balls to the wall high intensity work.

I'm not familiar with any Ukrainians pre 2000s, so I could be off. But since then, I'd say it is Usyk for me.

Honestly, if Usyk had stayed at cruiserweight and never gone up, I'd likely still say Usyk, though it'd be a very unsexy pick. What he's done at heavyweight is awesome.

This is true but it works both ways. You obviously would want guys that can test you in camp to prep you for your fights ("iron sharpens iron" as they say). The key is just to find the right balance. Usyk could've held back a bit. It sounds like he was going all out since Johnny Nelson said he was bossing Wlad around. Some guys don't know how to spar light or medium intensity. It's always balls to the wall high intensity work.
Exactly, sparring against a world champion is what an up and comer lives for. This is their chance to show their skills. I know many of young fighters that were paid then sent home because the champ wasn’t getting “good” work in.

Get cocky in the gym and you’ll learn some humility in the ring.

A rusty Floyd brought Spence in to help him prepare for Guerrero in 2013, got slapped around and kicked Spence out of the gym. But then he calmed down and called Spence back the next day to get more good work. Next thing you know, Floyd entered his second prime and kicked Canelo’s ass later that year.

Wladimir also kicked out the only guy he couldn’t dominate and immediately lost to Tyson Fury afterwards. Protecting your ego is good for your ego but your ego won’t fight for you.

It seems ridiculous to me that someone could think that Lomachenko is better than Usyk.

I figure this is always a discussion about pros.
Usually that's the case. It depends though. The International Boxing Hall of Fame counts amateur credentials along with professional ones. Laszlo Papp is sitting in the HOF right now and he never even won a world title as a professional. His 3 Olympic titles got him voted in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back