Between 2010 to 2017, UFC fighters, in total, were paid $626 million. While Mayweather was paid...

Boxing exists since ancient Near East in the 3rd and 2nd millennia BC.

MMA first high profile fight in 1951 and in 1980 was the first mma league.
Um.. MMA fighting and leagues were actually more established in ancient times and held in higher esteem than boxing was.

Pankration (/pænˈkreɪtiɒn, -ˈkreɪʃən/; Greek: παγκράτιον) was a sporting event introduced into the Greek Olympic Games in 648 BC and was an empty-hand submission sport with scarcely any rules. The athletes used boxing and wrestling techniques, but also others, such as kicking and holds, locks and chokes on the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

800px-Arte_romana%2C_Lottatori%2C_1-100_circa_da_un_originale_del_III_secolo_a.C._02.JPG

Xfrese.jpg

The lei tai is an elevated fighting arena, without railings, where often fatal weapons and bare-knuckle martial arts tournaments were once held. "Sanctioned" matches were presided over by a referee on the platform and judges on the sides. Fighters would lose if they surrendered, were incapacitated, were thrown or otherwise forced from the stage. The winner would remain on the stage (as its "owner") unless ousted by a stronger opponent. If there were no more challengers, they would become the champion. Private duels on the stage had no rules and were sometimes fought to the death.
In Ancient China, combat sport appeared in the form of Leitai, a no-holds-barred mixed combat sport that combined Chinese martial arts, boxing and wrestling.

Leitai.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai

(if you read this shit ,you start to realize that whatever the fuck "TMA kung fu styles" are isn't what people were actually using back then.. I have no idea where the bullshit that calls itself TMA kung fu came from, or what happened to the real traditional kung fu styles, but people weren't using what people claim today are TMA kung fu in these fights)

Doesn't the boss who has brought that company from the ground up and worked for the same company for over 20 years usually make more? Jesus. It's kind boggling that people always bring up how much Dana makes in these conversations.

And incase you didn't know, which it seems you don't, Dana gets paid by WME, the company that bought Zuffa out. Just like the fighters get paid by WME.

Also, the fighters and their management negotiate terms. Including pay. None of them are forced to sign a contract if they are unhappy with the pay. Why is this still a conversation?
Your argument is juvenille. I understand and know all your points. You don't understand my point of view. It wouldn't be a productive conversation on this board. I'm happy to continue it somewhere else.

Dana don’t give a fuck. He’ll make millions while his fighters get life altering injuries & CTE, just move along & keep going.

Dana Bless.

Ufc pay is on the rise

Floyd is now retired, he wasn't making most of his money at the beginning

Take a economics/business class
Take a class on corporate propaganda and shilling, as a share of revenue the amount paid to fighters has decreased.
And every economics class is a “business” class, so that was redundant and you’ve likely taken neither.
Floyd wasn’t making most of the money “at the beginning” (whatever that means) because he wasn’t also the promoter for his fights at the time. You don’t know anything.

Ufc pay is on the rise

tAkE aN eCoNoMiCs ClAsS! The players on an average nfl team make more money per year than the entirety of The ufc roster despite bringing in less money per team per year and being considerably smaller. That seems normal and good to you? There’s a reason the UFC have been actively anti union as why fighters are afraid to organize. Dudes take one economics class in high school and think that good business models are about maximizing profits for the owner at any cost. Look at the shit show that is the UFC. There’s dudes pulling out regularly, asking for more money, only taking the matchups that earn them the most money, wanting favorable matchups to preserve their career integrity. All signs of poor management and poor company integrity. You will never be a CEO or major company president so why are you shilling for them?

tAkE aN eCoNoMiCs ClAsS! The players on an average nfl team make more money per year than the entirety of The ufc roster despite bringing in less money per team per year and being considerably smaller. That seems normal and good to you? There’s a reason the UFC have been actively anti union as why fighters are afraid to organize. Dudes take one economics class in high school and think that good business models are about maximizing profits for the owner at any cost. Look at the shit show that is the UFC. There’s dudes pulling out regularly, asking for more money, only taking the matchups that earn them the most money, wanting favorable matchups to preserve their career integrity. All signs of poor management and poor company integrity. You will never be a CEO or major company president so why are you shilling for them?
So if you were ceo you’d pay well above market for services?

Take a class on corporate propaganda and shilling, as a share of revenue the amount paid to fighters has decreased.
And every economics class is a “business” class, so that was redundant and you’ve likely taken neither.
Floyd wasn’t making most of the money “at the beginning” (whatever that means) because he wasn’t also the promoter for his fights at the time. You don’t know anything.
He wasn’t making as much because he wasn’t selling as much.

Your argument is juvenille. I understand and know all your points. You don't understand my point of view. It wouldn't be a productive conversation on this board. I'm happy to continue it somewhere else.

It's far from juvenile and if you understand all my points, why say those things initially?

Doesn't the boss who has brought that company from the ground up and worked for the same company for over 20 years usually make more? Jesus. It's kind boggling that people always bring up how much Dana makes in these conversations.

And incase you didn't know, which it seems you don't, Dana gets paid by WME, the company that bought Zuffa out. Just like the fighters get paid by WME.

Also, the fighters and their management negotiate terms. Including pay. None of them are forced to sign a contract if they are unhappy with the pay. Why is this still a conversation?
Are you trolling?

Imagine low end nhl players only earning 50k per year and they had to pay for their own training lol. Fighters are the only asset to the UFC, they’ve been lucky to be able to be carried by brand recognition and having fighters want to complete in their org, but as fighter pay and treatment becomes better from other orgs and other orgs can prove their longevity, we will see talent more divided over time and we will see high level guys choose to fight elsewhere during their primes.

So if you were ceo you’d pay well above market for services?
I've never met so many people infatuated with the taste of rubber. Let's get some things out of the way. Dana and Head office are pieces of horse shit. That being said, they are in no way obligated to pay the fighters more money. It must be remembered that companies are not doing you a favour when they pay you for work, they are filling a need for as little as possible. If Dana and his people had full control each UFC fighter would be lucky to see 200/200 in Pesos.

This is why we need collective bargaining for workers and competition for orgs. Dana is a union busting garbage man, and we must legislate this behavior out of existence. We need more high profile lawsuits and fewer short sighted fighters.

That overall amount isn't bad.

There were exactly 3,200 UFC fights from 2010 to 2017.

$626,000,000 / 6,400 = $97,813 average per fighter per fight

The supposed problem is the extreme disparity in pay between the highest paid fighters and the majority of the other approximately 500 fighters under contract with the UFC.

The reality is the fighters at the top are what drives most people to tune in. To the them, whoever fights in 80% of the undercard and the prelims is largely inconsequential. In that sense, the big disparity in pay between the needle movers and rest of the roster is justified.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the UFC to increase the size and number of performance bonuses.

Instead of awarding a $50K bonus to 4 fighters on the card, award an $100K bonus to 3 fighters and a $50K bonus to 3 fighters. That would mean spending $250K more per card, approximately $10.5 million more per year.

The UFC likely paid out approximately $100 million to fighters in 2019. A significant expansion of performance bonuses would only increase fighter pay by 10% overall but it would give the prelim fighters a bigger chance to make a lot more and it would further incentivize exciting fights which ultimately would draw more attention from fans.

I dig it.

Ufc pay is on the rise

This, also people should look at the consistent decline of boxing to see why those Mayweather paydays are not good for a sport. Boxings pay is so top heavy and the sport has suffered alot because of that. Basically there is a lack of a strong boxing middle class where most of there fighters talent wise are they get paid bad.

At least UFC has payouts more spread out and UFC actively has a caretaker role for nurturing mma to keep it strong. Also if you look at UFC payouts they keep growing over time. Also sponsorship opportunities seem to be improving alot. Fighters get good money on sponsorships especially on Social Media.

It's far from juvenile and if you understand all my points, why say those things initially?
Because even though I understand your points and agree with them there is more to it. The conversation isn't black and white and I never said Dana didn't deserve to make more than the fighters. You are arguing with yourself since I don't disagree with you.

standard revenue split in professional sports is around 50%, ufc fighters get less then half of that. The ufc has some crazy contracts locking fighters in but as you said it is also on the fighters they need to unionize. This nfl guy who was president of the Players union while he played hit the nail on the head with the contract issues(starts around 1:45)

Reactions: OGL
18% revenue sharing, among other bullshit. Dana's a greedy piece of garbage.

DizzyFloweryKakarikis-size_restricted.gif
Just want to point out that in a good year, a hedge fund will keep 20% of the profits it makes to pay out its employees and the owners keep 80%. In a bad year, that number is much much lower.

If you think an 80/20 split is some kind of abysmal corporate slavery, the real world will be a dark place for you once you start digging into fiancial statements.

Just want to point out that in a good year, a hedge fund will keep 20% of the profits it makes to pay out its employees and the owners keep 80%. In a bad year, that number is much much lower.

If you think an 80/20 split is some kind of abysmal corporate slavery, the real world will be a dark place for you once you start digging into fiancial statements.

Just want to point out that the UFC isn't a hedge fund.

When you turn 18 and move out you'll understand it's important to fight for what you're worth.

Just want to point out that the UFC isn't a hedge fund.

When you turn 18 and move out you'll understand it's important to fight for what you're worth.
Lol. I work in the finance industry. Thats why I used it as an example.

You want to fight for what you're worth? Thats great. But what makes you think you're qualified to know what the fighters are worth? You're not a fighter, you're not Dana, you're not some kind of revenue analyst for the UFC.

Back