Media Big John McCarthy: Commission Right, Ref Wrong in Weidman-Silva Affair

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

“When Gary Copeland has Chris Weidman, who is putting his fingers out like it’s a pitchfork – you need to address that as the official,” McCarthy told co-host Josh Thomson. “I don’t care that you’re in New Jersey where Chris Weidman is a hero. I’m being honest: I wanted Chris Weidman to win this fight. … But I can’t have Chris Weidman getting preferential treatment as far as you’re the one creating this problem. You need to address the problem and make sure the individual who is creating the problem doesn’t do it anymore. Well, he did do it more.”

McCarthy continued: “I don’t think Gary saw the eye pokes (just before the finish), so that was understandable. He makes the call of stopping the fight. Once he makes the call of stopping the fight and they look at the tape, you can see that he did get poked in the eye. … They need to have the judges score whatever part of the third round they’ve seen. Who won that round? You already have two rounds that have been judged. This need(ed) to go to a technical decision. It’s not a unanimous decision victory. It’s a technical decision victory for Chris Weidman.”

“Chris had won the first two rounds. And if you’re gonna say the third round, I think Chris was winning that one for the most part, too. So I knew Chris was gonna win the fight, but that way it’s not on the fact that a foul occurred and the referee made a decision to stop it without seeing the foul. Now (the commission is) saying, ‘OK, we see the foul. This is what we do.’ Based upon the fact that the fight had entered the third round, you could go to a technical decision. If the same thing had happened in the second round, it would’ve ended up being a no contest. You would not have had a technical decision, because they can only go to that technical decision if the fight enters the third round.”

Even if the commission got it right based upon the rules in the end, Silva is still sure to feel wronged. Silva told MMA Fighting that he plans to appeal the result, but McCarthy explained how that is likely to be a futile process for him.

“What they’re doing is, by going to that technical decision, it’s the right thing to do. I’m just gonna tell you straight out,” McCarthy said. “Because giving Chris Weidman a victory off of TKO, then you’re saying that you’re not addressing the fact that there was a foul. They are addressing that fact. Gary Copeland could’ve decided to have taken points for the fouls. He didn’t do that. That’s his decision. … So the commission actually did the right thing. But, yes, by doing that right thing, they’re taking the ability of Bruno Silva to protest the stopping of the fight as a TKO and making it a no contest later on. They’re taking that away by doin the right thing.”

---

Big John is basically saying the referee could have done better (no shit), but the commission did the right thing and also sandbagged Silva in any attempt to get a No Contest out of it.

This still doesn't deal with the fact Weidman flagrantly disregarded instructions from Copeland, and the fact Weidman committed multiple fouls whether or not Copeland thought one of them was a mutual foul.

Is it really acceptable in MMA to just completely ignore the referees instructions and not potentially get disqualified?

Mo would be the first 3 division champ in the UFC

giphy.gif

So anyone who is up two rounds should just double poke the other guy and win a technical decision.
This is exactly where the logic goes. Why even take a chance? Just gouge your opponent's eyes out and win a "technical decision" - don't leave the door open to get finished in that last round.

But nobody actually wants that, right?

So maybe we need better solutions here. Cheating blatantly shouldn't give you a win.

Regardless of big Johns position. That's not a technical win..
You can't give a win on points, because the Winnie decided to flagrantly put his fingers in both his opponents eyes,
That's 100% a technical disqualification,

That's like saying. Ya know. They played 6 innings, the team had 7 home runs and kept hitting home runs but we found out all their bats were loaded. But they win.....

See where I'm going ? They cheated and got caught. Game the fuck over
They lose and get suspended

Chris lost that fight on a technicalities because he cheated numerous times through out the fight. (Basically every round)
Was warned, and continued to cheat

Silva was arguably winning round 2( big knee to Chris's eye) before the 1st eyepoke, then Weidman flurried in the final minute and stole it.

Yes he was up 2-0 but it was looking like 1-1 before he started the actual poking-spree.

You can't give a win on points, because the Winnie decided to flagrantly put his fingers in both his opponents eyes,

That's like saying. Ya know. They played 6 innings, the team had 7 home runs and kept hitting home runs but we found out all their bats were loaded. But they win.....

Chris lost that fight on a technicalities because he cheated numerous times through out the fight. (Basically every round)
Michael Bisping vs Alan Belcher ended the exact same way.

As did Espino vs Romanov (though it was a low blow).

As did Cerrone vs Varner 1 (illegal knee).

Technical decision is nothing new.

You know what, even if Chris didn't mean to rake both eyes, he was told numerous times and after numerous fouls that he had to watch the fingers.

"Both you guys close up your hands, stop reaching with the fingertips", Gary says, a clear warning right before the finish to the fight, literally seconds before, having already warned both fighters after the prior infractions.

On video replay, Weidman ignores that completely, reaching with the fingertips on both hands landing on both eyes.

That alone is a DQ, and I think John McCarthy has overlooked that that is a part of the Unified Rules of MMA, and part of the rules of New Jersey amateur MMA.

Weidman ignored the referee, blatantly, clearly, immediately.

He didn't 'forget', he didn't have time.

It's an easy overturn. Let's hope the New Jersey Athletic Commission do the right and obvious thing.

IMHO Weidman should have lost the fight.
Or at the very least, be a no-context.

And look, I love Weidman, and was supper happy celebrating his win.
But .....BOTH EYES POKED??? using BOTH hands??? That's cheating levels that even the eye-poke-king Jon Jones never even attempted.

This, has to be a disqualificating event.
I would much rather erase this fight and re-do it, but Weidan is now just a name from a distant era.... he shouldn't be treated like untouchable.

4 eye pokes in 3 separate sequences, including a double eye-poke in the finishing sequence.

It's a DQ no way around it.....quite an embarrassing travesty of a circus sport we are fans of if we are honest.

looks like Bruno ain't the only one around with watery eyes. ha ha

If Big John is so upset about this, is he upset that JBJ did this all the freakin' time?

Well yeah, he did get upset. Infact Big John pushed for more stingent eyes poking rules under the new Unified MMA rules because of Jon Jones. Got to a point where Jon Jones said he never wanted Big John to ref his fights ever again

So anyone who is up two rounds should just double poke the other guy and win a technical decision.
You would almost think that what happened here and Chris was happy to risk a point deduction as Silva started to come forward, knowing at worst he loses a point and survives the dreaded 3rd round.

If they let this stand, they are opening up this as a legit strategy. It's not different than places your hands on the ground, which was meant to be removed after Chris tried that one also.

The entire team is known for this type of strategy. Watch Aljo come out with the fingers out vs Calvin at 300 and tell me this was an accident.

Back