Biggest game changers to your training?

MilesP4P

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What's going on Sherdog family! Just looking to pick everyone's mind and ask, what are the biggest game-changers you have discovered in your training?

For me, I have to admit I completely neglected two things; road work and the heavy bag. I have been in the sport for 10 years on and off and I have to say that adding "QUALITY" running to my regimen has helped a lot. I don't do grueling 10 mile runs like I used to, but now I run 3-5 miles and I aim for 8-minute miles. This style of running has helped my conditioning tremendously. I have always done HIIT sprints and I think that helps with explosive exchanges but as far as conditioning you for grueling pressure fighters who really make you work to outbox them, meaningful roadwork has really helped me out.

Any light bulb moments for you guys?

Lifting weights is great for combat sports but not when you have a fight coming up.
Fighting in a lower weight class is an advantage but there's a fine line between losing the right amount of weight and losing too much weight wherein you lose strength.
Consistency is more important than intensity.

I travelled all the way from England to Japan and I realised that lots of gyms listen to the same music xD My coach was playing Sean Paul all the time when he 1st got big, trained a little mma with Ryan Bow and the first fucking song on the stereo was Sean Paul hahahaha
Also, getting thrown around like a beginner when I first went to Thailand. Thought I was shit hot from teenage kickboxing and doing OK. Got to Chuwattana in Bangkok when I was 20 and a 14 year old lad beat the shit out of me daily with a smile on his face.

I travelled all the way from England to Japan and I realised that lots of gyms listen to the same music xD My coach was playing Sean Paul all the time when he 1st got big, trained a little mma with Ryan Bow and the first fucking song on the stereo was Sean Paul hahahaha
Also, getting thrown around like a beginner when I first went to Thailand. Thought I was shit hot from teenage kickboxing and doing OK. Got to Chuwattana in Bangkok when I was 20 and a 14 year old lad beat the shit out of me daily with a smile on his face.

Even outside of Thailand, in any adult class, watch out for the kid who's barely old enough to be in the adult class, because he DEFINITELY came up from the kids class and is going to whoop your ass.

Training twice a day, 2classes in am 2 in pm. Having said that no I haven't been able to do this for years because life, but if you get a chance to even for a month do it your body will change drastically to accommodate what you're trying to do. You'll lose fat, unnecessary muscle, loosen up at a crazy rate.

When I changed my running regime. I now only run three times a week. It's always 10min warm up and 10 minutes cool down at the end.
First day 15x30 seconds sprints and 30 seconds slow running. Second day 10x1minute sprints and 1 minute slow running and third day is 5x3minutes sprints and 3 minutes slow running (almost walking speed).

for me biggest game changer was shadowboxing but i started listening after 4 years what coaches said to me " IMAGINE YOUR OPONONET WHILE YOU SHADOWBOX" as i started doing this it was gamechanger for me and also started stretch immediatly after i wake up

Consistent, daily padwork. Fight training padwork, not pretty padwork.

Train like a thai, bag pads, spar, twice a day is the recipe.

Good luck finding that in the US

Back