BJJ Gi That Does Not Shrink

updowniri

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
When I first started BJJ I bought a gi off of my professor for fifty dollars. It was a garbage gi. It was obviously made for someone much fatter then I. The pants were hard to tighten and had to be folded over to fit around my body, the top was loose and fat. The gi pants also hard a cord made out of what appeared to be gi materiel instead of rope and was a pain to tighten. The material was also very rough and hard to move in. Also it was very short, the sleeves and pants had six to eight inch gaps between by ankles and wrists. Despite this my coach assured me it looked good.

When I went off to college I left that school and started doing no gi at my college club. I forgot about the whole gi situation. When I got out of college I started training at a new gym. I decided my old coach was wrong and this gi did suck. I ordered a new gi from King's Kimonos. It felt great and still does. It also fit perfectly. However, it has recently started to shrink significantly. The top is hard to notice but the pants have lost around eight inches.

I wash and dry my gi with washing and drying machines on normal settings and will continue to do so. I don't have time to hang dry my gi and don't want to go through the hassle of fiddling around with buttons to do a cold wash. I just want to throw it in and get it out. But the problem is that shrinks the gi and everyone tells me the only way for it not to shrink is to go through that process which I don't want to do.

So does anyone know of a gi brand that does not shrink even if washed with warm water and dried with a machine Thanks.

A Black or blue gi will shrink less than white gis.

I've been told that the dyeing process has something to do with how stable the fabric is. This makes them less likely to shrink.

It isn't a matter of one brand shrinking more than another. It's the fabric.
The majority of gis are made in Pakistan so there will be more similarities than differences.

If you're dead set on washing in warm water and machine drying, then you'll just have to take a chance on a gi and see.

One low risk approach is to buy a gi from Rollmore.com

You can return a gi if it doesn't fit. Even after you wash it.

Back