BJJ with top gi but no bottom (Sambo style)

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Gordon Ryan said that in 10 years the gi will become obsolete. But what about a middle of the road solution? The jacket can be used for chokes, and without the pants we have all leglocks allowed without the "pants make heelhooks to lethal".

This is all in my own head but I've always liked the idea of grappling in an old T shirt and shorts/track pants. You can still make it out of pajama material if you want and put on a belt. To my knowledge the Gi simulated kimonos which is traditional Japanese attire no one wears anymore. Manipulating someone's clothing makes sense for fighting but I feel like to choice of clothing ought to be updated.

It was pretty common for a few guys to have a judo or sambo jacket with sambo shorts or mma board shorts in gi classes at Hayastan.

Beware the guy who doesn't speak much/any English and wears board shorts with a loaner judo jacket and a white belt.

He'll say he has only little experience, then you'll find out he's 6-1 in mma as an amateur in Ukraine, Russia, or sometimes Dagestan.

Did just that earlier today in the backyard with a friend. Shorts and gi top, grip fighting for an hour on the grass, great stuff.

Gordon is wrong though, he's too much in his own bubble. Gi grappling is way too much fun to go away.

Gordon Ryan said that in 10 years the gi will become obsolete.

He is entirely correct; it is a little know fact that back in the day people used to race on foot or, get this, on horseback! However, since the invention of the internal combustion engine, those sports faded into obscurity, to be remembered only by historians and snarky pillocks like me.

Back