Blue Eyed Samurai

In your spoiler I think that might be more of nod to Lone Wolf and Cub. He always talks about walking the path to hell in the series
Good catch. I haven't read LWaC in decades and Born was just fresher in my mind.

Anyway, I'm still amazed by the 5th episode where they juxtapose the puppet story about the onryo, the brothel battle and the flashbacks. And then everything suddenly falls into place showing why and how Mizu is what she is.

Absolute brilliance. The fight choreography of the naginata assemble scene is the cherry on the top.

Last edited:
As a 20 year animator in video games and television...I can with my expert opinion, tell you that I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Yeah, my feel was that it felt like the animations were at a much lower framerate and the realism aspect was a bit uncanny valley for me (can't say whether it was intentional or not). I think a lot of people confuse art style with the actual technical aspect how well the animation is done.

As a 20 year animator in video games and television...I can with my expert opinion, tell you that I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

i prefer the hand drawn and the stuff that gundam movies use. I hate the cheap lookin cgi look

i prefer the hand drawn and the stuff that gundam movies use. I hate the cheap lookin cgi look
Are you referring to the 2D cell shader they chose?

1702495982878.png

I kind of liked it. It's suppose to give this anime art style married with 3D animation. It's outlines sometimes highlighted some issues with the mesh as you can see with the fingers in the lead hand. But I enjoyed the subtle "rosey" coloring around her nose to showcase she's out in the cold.

So it made up for its simplicity of cell shading with some nice subtle details.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the 2D cell shader they chose?

View attachment 1016601

I kind of liked it. It's suppose to give this anime art style married with 3D animation. It's outlines sometimes highlighted some issues with the mesh as you can see with the fingers in the lead hand. But I enjoyed the subtle "rosey" coloring around her nose to showcase she's out in the cold.

So it made up for its simplicity of cell shading with some nice subtle details.

i hate it, it looks like shit an they move like theyre made out of cardboard.

This is a better approach a mix of hand drawn and cg...with sexual sounds

My original interest in this show came from a mention on the George RR Martin blog. Started watching this show a few months back, but was getting too much of a woke/Mary Sue vibe and abandoned it about half way through.

Began rewatching it last night and I enjoyed it more this time around. It definitely seems like a love letter to some of the Asian films and shows of the past. The number of callouts to popular Asian tropes doesn't seem like an accident. Thus the choice to apparently make the lead female character inspired by Mulan, makes that decision seem less hokey. Maybe I am reaching.

Anyway, even if it is only my imagination, the homage angle helped me appreciate the show more. It would be easy to list some of the inspirations, but it is likely they are third or fourth generation inspirations anyways. Hope to finish watching in the next few days.

Mary Sue all the way.
The animation and the visuals are nice. But the plot armour is almost unbearable.

Also, it's like a samurai version of Mulan, sorta, kinda...

Checked out after the episode where she kills the innocent courtesan.

Couldn't get on board with the protagonist's motivations for her quest anyway.

Animation was good but story line and characters are sloppy.

The vast majority of Japanese people in that period, men and women couldn't carry a sword, just look at all the Japanese weapons made out of modified farming tools, you had to be pretty rich to carry a sword, let alone the armour they could've just as well made this story about a poor male from a lower class, who's mum was raped by an English sailor and wants revenge.

I wouldn't even class the main character as a Samurai, what great powerful family was she a retainer for before she went Ronin........

A sword is a status symbol for the rich noble elite, plebs would be killed just for having one.

I watched the show about 2 months ago. I enjoyed it. I always want more fighting but the story kept me engaged. I'll watch whenever the 2nd season comes out.

Finished watching this. This is a great show.

I can't help but feel this show was at least inspired somewhat by this amazing scene from THE OG Half Breed from Street Fighter (1974)

"Your father is a traitor and your mother is a whore.
You are not Japanese, you are half breed."

Scene also includes this great movie quote from the protagonist's father;
"Listen my son, TRUST NO ONE! You can count on no one but YOURSELF. Improve your skills, son, harden your body, become a NUMBER ONE MAN! Do not ever let ANYONE beat you!"

Also feels very Game of Thrones, with realistic horrible humans and inspired by history, but not historically accurate. Truth is you could probably say that about almost any historical piece.

Reactions: HHJ
One of the street fighter movies, I forget which one, Sonny rips a dudes entire groin out.

Excellent.

Back