Boxing match shatters UFC's highest gate record

I can’t stand mcgregor but Dana missed out big time on not having an event here in Dublin in our main Gaelic football stadium. Irish people are mad about fighting in general and the ufc would have had a gate of ninety thousand tickets sold no problem.

need to adjust the past ticket sales for inflation lol

It wasn't even for a belt lol, what non title fight has ever sold that much for the UFC?
Probably some of Conor's fights come close?

Not being a big boxing fan, I knew Ryan Garcia was one of the stars of his weight class but I mistakenly believed he already held an undisputed belt which he doesn't so I didn't realize this fight was a pointless catchweight.

Boxing fights between two undefeated stars are pretty rare.

The problem is the UFC is already going in that same direction. Only hardcore fans give a shit about most of the cards and it's getting worse. We can see how empty the places often are for the prelims at many UFC events. I've been following MMA for a lot longer than my Sherdog join date and I barely recognize most of the fighters on early prelims now. Back in the day when we saw big cards every 3 months or so it was different. Now the product is often so watered down I'm finding myself only caring about the main event and a few other fights on the card. I doubt i'm alone.
Bingo
Lots of Cantender Series junk signings and/or silly squash matches pairing a regional favorite near the event against someone the UFC wants to lose.

Let's be honest.

The gate hardly means anything

The problem is the UFC is already going in that same direction. Only hardcore fans give a shit about most of the cards and it's getting worse. We can see how empty the places often are for the prelims at many UFC events. I've been following MMA for a lot longer than my Sherdog join date and I barely recognize most of the fighters on early prelims now. Back in the day when we saw big cards every 3 months or so it was different. Now the product is often so watered down I'm finding myself only caring about the main event and a few other fights on the card. I doubt i'm alone.
The arena has always been pretty empty for prelims though. Nothing new.

It's not as watered down as you think. The same formula (more or less) has been applied since the zuffa days. Just cause you don't remember the fighters, doesn't mean others dont

Last Saturday's boxing match between Tank Davis & Ryan Garcia did 1.2 million PPV buys and had a gate of $22.8 million

The 2 highest UFC's gates were McGregor vs Alvarez in NYC and McGregor vs Khabib in Vegas.

Both sports are amazing but it's clear that worldwide Boxing is still more popular than MMA. A big Boxing fight will always be bigger than anything MMA can produce. Boxing is filled with more genuine characters while UFC guys play roles like in the WWE.

Source: https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/5-biggest-gates-ufc-history

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...psed-12-million-pay-per-view-buys/ar-AA1aohLI

Meh, all the events sold out which was the limiting factor on the gate. When you add in inflation the gate is similar in size, tickets are just more expensive 5 years later (who would of thought?)

Yes and UFC has an awful track record of overpromoting the undercard.
Even still, a lot of people watch the undercard because the sport itself with or without being a big name fight is more entertaining and an overall better product.

Even still, a lot of people watch the undercard because the sport itself with or without being a big name fight is more entertaining and an overall better product.
Surely that is only opinion.
And I'd disagree that MMA is a better overall product (entertainment wise).

I don't imagine you hang around a lot of teens and 20 year olds?

My work is almost exclusively filled with 20 year olds, I'm only 29 myself.
I also coach wrestling for Youth & Adults, as well as compete in Jiu Jitsu.
I was an Uber driver for 2 years, a medical transport driver for 3 years, and worked with 16-24 year olds for 3 years at a trade school.

Between all of those gigs, I have barely ever known any hardcore boxing fans. Lots of people tune in for the big May vs Pac or Canelo vs GGG, but don't follow it. Conversely, I've met tons of people who follow the UFC in those gigs.

I think the UFC has been bigger than boxing in America for a very long time now. The biggest boxing event will draw in more people than the big UFC event, but there are way more people in America that follow the UFC than people that follow boxing.

To be fair, the UFC is hosting events week after week, whereas boxing events are more anticipated since there are only three good ones per year.

You mean like the crowdless televised cards they do at the Apex center once a month?

As a 20 year old I agree. There will be some spanish speaking guys tuning in for a big canelo card, but I literally know nobody who watched the Ryan Garcia fight mostly because 1. they are not interested in boxing 2. they'd just watch the highlights afterwards 3. there was a laker game at the same time. Hell if you ask my friends who Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder are, Id wager they either don't know or don't care. Most hardcore boxing fans I know are over 50, more than half of them are mexican. UFC isn't too popular either among 20 year olds, but definetely above boxing. I do know people who watch cards but mostly have it playing in the background while they do other stuff.
I was an Uber driver for 2 years, a medical transport driver for 3 years, and worked with 16-24 year olds for 3 years at a trade school.

Between all of those gigs, I have barely ever known any hardcore boxing fans. Lots of people tune in for the big May vs Pac or Canelo vs GGG, but don't follow it. Conversely, I've met tons of people who follow the UFC in those gigs.

I think the UFC has been bigger than boxing in America for a very long time now. The biggest boxing event will draw in more people than the big UFC event, but there are way more people in America that follow the UFC than people that follow boxing.

Lady friend who stopped caring about combat sports after GSP retired, asked me if I was watching the fight. I never mentioned it previously at at all either, so found it interesting she brought it up without being prompted.

I am suspicious.

Not what the analytics are saying.

https://twocircles.com/gb-en/articles/boxing-genz-star-stories/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/03/overtime-boxing-otx-dazn/

Boxing has a plethora of young talent like Tank 28, Garcia 24, Shakur Stevenson 25, Devin Haney 23 that are both legit as far as skills/amateur pedigree along with popularity.

MMA’s biggest stars are all over 30 and lack the pedigree (when Dana is trying to force feed talent like Paddy and O’Malley you know there’s a problem).

Not what the analytics are saying.

https://twocircles.com/gb-en/articles/boxing-genz-star-stories/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/03/overtime-boxing-otx-dazn/

Boxing has a plethora of young talent like Tank 28, Garcia 24, Shakur Stevenson 25, Devin Haney 23 that are both legit as far as skills/amateur pedigree along with popularity.

MMA’s biggest stars are all over 30 and lack the pedigree (when Dana is trying to force feed talent like Paddy and O’Malley you know there’s a problem).
Why you forget vergil ortiz :(

High numbers throughout the year, huh? How many tickets have they sold for this weekend's card at the Apex?

Yeah, televised cards at the Apex center this far removed from the pandemic is a bad look.

If the Apex cards were guaranteed to fill even a small 5000 seat venue, they would be held at venues. The UFC is not leaving money on the table.

It says a lot about the lack of depth on the UFC roster right now.

Well, it's a karate forum, Mr Soprano. Go to a boxing forum and you will find people getting excited about boxing events every weekend like we all get excited about UFC events each weekend here!

Honestly, I don't know why you guys measure dicks all the time about which one is bigger or better. As if anybody is currently watching MMA just because it's more popular and would switch sports upon learning that it's not. The sports are very different. I started watching MMA when it was minuscular compared to boxing and if tomorrow the sport goes back to being that small I will still watch it over boxing. I just don't enjoy watching boxing and I love MMA.
Excellent post. The regular “GoTcHyA” boxing posters have already swarmed here.

Good for boxing.

Back