Boxing sparring partner tried to hurt me with Jiu Jitsu

Did you punch him hard ?

Sweeps are in no way part of boxing. Report immediately. On the spot.

Did you punch him hard ?

Sweeps are in no way part of boxing. Report immediately. On the spot.

I didn't punch him hard. I was following my trainer's power when we sparred. He might have felt that I hit hard but that doesn't justify what he did.
Lessons learned that I need to report immediately.

I didn't punch him hard. I was following my trainer's power when we sparred. He might have felt that I hit hard but that doesn't justify what he did.
Lessons learned that I need to report immediately.

Hitting hard is subjective. Well next time get up and tell him why did you sweep me this is boxing and cancel the sparring with him.

Also not everyone is equally used to getting hit. You're new so I'm not sure what to make of it. You feel you didn't punch him hard or you know you didn't. Was it at 20% power. If I saw it I could've told you.

In any case no need to be a big snitch and complain and whine about it. But next time get up ask him why is he using sweeps in a boxing spar and refuse to spar with him again. Or just talk it out friendly. Did your trainer not see it ?

Hitting hard is subjective. Well next time get up and tell him why did you sweep me this is boxing and cancel the sparring with him.

Also not everyone is equally used to getting hit. You're new so I'm not sure what to make of it. You feel you didn't punch him hard or you know you didn't. Was it at 20% power. If I saw it I could've told you.

In any case no need to be a big snitch and complain and whine about it. But next time get up ask him why is he using sweeps in a boxing spar and refuse to spar with him again. Or just talk it out friendly. Did your trainer not see it ?

Trainer was else where...

Ah so he was the new guy

Definitely adress it

But after it happens

Tell him he can't sweep

That guy sounds like a spaz and he's wrong

Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys. Appreciate it.
Jaw is still hurting. Pisses me off because it reminds me of the incident.
I really don't think I hit hard at all. Rather I don't think he thought I hit hard. He never said a word about it. His body language didn't indicate that he was hurt. He just started to take me down with BJJ (in a boxing round) all of a sudden. No warnings what so ever.

He's just saying that as an excuse for his hurt ego I guess.
Bottom line is you are not fully prepared to fight.
The thing people don't realize is 'boxing' in the public mind meant 'fighting' for the longest time in the West. So guys would just duke it out if things got heated.

That's changed now.
You cant complain and say "he broke the rules" if it goes free for all.
So if you are to get into a fight situation escalating from doing a combat sport, be more prepared next time and study something about at least the fundamentals of defensive grappling.

This is how it was always supposed to be anyway.
Dempsey strangle.jpg

The thing people don't realize is 'boxing' in the public mind meant 'fighting' for the longest time in the West. So guys would just duke it out if things got heated.

That's changed now.
So if you are to get into a fight situation escalating from doing a combat sport, be more prepared next time and study something about at least the fundamentals of defensive grappling.

View attachment 950741

But it was a boxing spar. That's the agreed upon rules. It's a sport not a street fight.

But it was a boxing spar. That's the agreed upon rules. It's a sport not a street fight.

Yeah, agreed upon rules matter significantly. If it's boxing class at an mma gym and he's confused that's one thing, but let's be real.

If someone started throwing punches in a grappling round at a jiu jitsu gym it would be

1) stern talking to and if that doesn't work

2) gtfo

Yeah, agreed upon rules matter significantly. If it's boxing class at an mma gym and he's confused that's one thing, but let's be real.

If someone started throwing punches in a grappling round at a jiu jitsu gym it would be

1) stern talking to and if that doesn't work

2) gtfo
I had something similar to that once

2005 peak TUF times

was my first day in grappling class at an MMA gym. we just doing some basic scramble and shrimping drills and then using that in guard to do a scissor sweep.

my partner would not stop shadow boxing GNP while doing the drills

and the instructor told him to come over and try with him

wrapped the kid up and cranked the shit out of a lock

I don't think he ever came back
edit
sorry I meant 2005
god damn that was too damn long ago

Last edited:
It doesn't even matter to me if you did "hit him too hard". In a boxing gym, you settle it with boxing - end of discussion. Otherwise, what's to stop you from taking a bat to the back of his head? I'd fuck him up next time and just refuse to spar with him again to get the last laugh. Imagine if someone did the reverse, and started whaling on someone in a BJJ class? What a cunt.

Last edited:
raw

That's changed now.

View attachment 950741
This is a pretty stupid way of thinking about it. So if we were doing an agreed boxing sparring and you hit me too hard and I decided to kick you in the head you would have no issue with that?

Last edited:
This is a pretty stupid way of thinking about it. So if we were doing an agreed boxing sparring and you hit me too hard and I decided to kick you in the head you would have no issue with that?
i have dumped a few pro fighters on their asses with take downs because I was holding pads for them and they had absolutely no idea I was capable or considering it. I broke the rules and caught them by surprise but once it was on the table I never got it again. ThE mAsTeR on the other hand is ready for all types of violence at all times from all comers.

How does your comment make any sense following from what I said? Of course there would be an issue. If it kept happening you would probably get knee stomped hard.

My point is that fighting has changed. Boxing doesn't exist in this bubble now it's also part of MMA. So if you want to train boxing sparring yes everyone should be following the rules at a gym but it's really a good idea in this day and age to have some cross training anyway. This is your protection not just the 'agreement everyone made to keep to the rules' which obviously can go out the window in heated situations.

How does your comment make any sense following from what I said? Of course there would be an issue. If it kept happening you would probably get knee stomped hard.

My point is that fighting has changed. Boxing doesn't exist in this bubble now it's also part of MMA. So if you want to train boxing sparring yes everyone should be following the rules at a gym but it's really a good idea in this day and age to have some cross training anyway. This is your protection not just the 'agreement everyone made to keep to the rules' which obviously can go out the window in heated situations.
If you get heated in boxing sparring and use jiu Jitsu you probably shouldn't be boxing. Cross training boxing and Muay thai lead to me naturally thinking of throwing a knee when they ducked low but I never did it. Combat sports at their core have always been about discipline, you as a TMA dork of most people should understand that. If you can't control yourself and have to use other fighting forms to beat someone in boxing sparring the skill set you have is clearly lacking and you should use it as a learning experience as sparring is supposed to be, not take someone down and start trying to arm bar their dick.
They were doing boxing sparring therefore you are confined to sparring in the form of boxing. Just because it is an MMA gym does not mean the rules fly out the window.

Does the knee stomp you'd throw in this situation come before or after you wake up from your nap on the canvas?

This threadstarter reeks of fake.

The mentioned topic happened to me also once. It wasnt malign but he I guess wanted to show off some skills when the sparring didnt really work out as he had planned (all stayed friendly) . In my boxing club that would have gotten him in huge trouble even if its for fun. But that was in a gym and just a friendly sparring. Also If someone is punched close to a ko they can try to take someone down by pure instinct and sometimes dont even remember it.

I agree with Woldog that should really not happen even for just avoiding injury. If you dont expect someone jumping into you it can lead to knee injury..e.tc.

I wouldn't have mentioned it or brought it up at all. I would have just sparred with him again and slipped some hard shots in.

Back