Boxing training... different for heavyweights and lightweights?

phatty

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been physically active for 20 years (42yrs old). I cycle, swim, jog and weight train. I'm 5'9" - 235 @apx 24% BF (I eat clean but too much!) I have a large frame and am muscular (staring the obvious based on weight and BF%!) Resting heart-rate is 50bpm which might be a good indicator of condition as during any training gaps longer than a month I'm up to around 72.

I've done about 8 X 1hr boxing group classes which include the usuals...bag training, pads, pushups, burpees, jump squats, rope, stairs etc.

I feel really frustrated that I'm "behind" everyone else. I am pretty sure that if I drop 20lbs of fat there will be a decent difference but I'm not convinced that the difference would be huge. The.average weight of people in the class is probably 155lbs - 185lbs.

So I guess my question is for anyone who has personal experience.... is there a big divide in output for this kind of training vs. body weight? My thought is that there must be because I'm pretty damn fit cardio wise. Perhaps I should focus on form and be OK with slowing right down.... do 10 burpees when they are doing 25 in the same time period?

Thanks for any thoughts!

You're new to boxing right? Stick with it. It's taxing. It has less to.do with your preexisting conditioning and more to do with being new to boxing.

You're new to boxing right? Stick with it. It's taxing. It has less to.do with your preexisting conditioning and more to do with being new to boxing.

Yup thanks. One of the best changes I've had so far is keeping my elbows/arms in and resting them on my chest.and relaxing/dropping my shoulders.. before that I just couldn't keep my hands up.

Still through... question remains... is it realistic to expect a heavy weight to have the same output (in terms of ie... hit bag same amount of times in x amount of time) as a lighter weight?

A lighter weight will have more output all else being equal. But not all of those lightweights are at the same level of fitness as each other. You should be able to catch up with at least some of them.

Still through... question remains... is it realistic to expect a heavy weight to have the same output (in terms of ie... hit bag same amount of times in x amount of time) as a lighter weight?
probably not. More mass is an impediment to speed. It's like asking if a lightweight is going to hit as hard as a heavyweight.

OK thanks guys. Does sound like I should focus on my own pace and if I am "measuring" against others. And yes I'm sure there are others in the class who are lighter but I can keep up with... it's just that I'm competitive so I only look at the athletic ones!

OK thanks guys. Does sound like I should focus on my own pace and if I am "measuring" against others. And yes I'm sure there are others in the class who are lighter but I can keep up with... it's just that I'm competitive so I only look at the athletic ones!

It might be different for you being a short Heavyweight, I was 6'6 225lbs 10-12%BF and I always took pride in keeping up with a 18yr old 180lb world champion during training.

Sure sometimes I'd be a little behind but I'd be trying to keep up or beat him. It meant my cardio was mint. I knew whenever I fought I would NEVER gas, never once in 13 fights and who knows how many sparring sessions.

Now I am near 260lbs 10%BF and I only kickbox for fun, I don't train cardio much so I have a totally different style, I don't pressure so much, I pick my shots.

I would recommend, that if you are serious about getting into the ring and fighting another Heavyweight that you make sure you have the advantage. Every other big guy thinks they have to train different because they're big, that their power and size can be relied on. NOT SO. That's no advantage, it's the baseline.

If you train to keep up or beat the small guys you will become a monster, too much for anyone. You'll possibly drop a weight class too.

Just my 2 cents.

a lightweight should train no different from a heavyweight in that same sport

Thanks guys.

OK tell me this.... lower weight guys I can watch skip-rope forever. Me I can do about 90 turns before I need a 60 second min break...I am probably going too fast so tonight I will try and slow down and see if I can do more.... should a heavyweight be able to skip non-stop easily?

Unless you are actually fighting, it dosent make a difference at all if you are a HW or a LW or anything.

Just train, improve your footwork and head movement and ring work.

Thanks guys.

OK tell me this.... lower weight guys I can watch skip-rope forever. Me I can do about 90 turns before I need a 60 second min break...I am probably going too fast so tonight I will try and slow down and see if I can do more.... should a heavyweight be able to skip non-stop easily?

You get good at skipping rope by practicing it, im like 205 and can easily jump rope for 30 minutes. You just train it like anything else.

Also, you've only done 8 hours of training so don't worry too much. Just keep training.

Thanks guys.

Yes you will be able to go forever.

Don't go slow because you're saving your gass tank.

That defeats one of the main pillars of training. Push beyond and you'll find your cardio getting better and better by leaps and bounds.

You should always be pushing outta your comfort zone. You're going to fail everyday but it's your will to move forwards that defines you. When a new guy turns up we're not waiting to see how good they are but how hard they try.

I think this is a large reason why Cain is always injured. He's one of the few heavyweights that can output the same volume as a LW. Which his lungs can handle, but given his size...his bones and ligaments can't.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, but if you haven't been training you're not going to be able to just immediately do it. Keep working at it until you get there

Back