Breaking Bad: can I skip the scenes w Skylar White, yo?

I find it strange people wonder why the audience likes Walter.

First off the story is told from his perspective so that does a lot of the work; and they keep it exciting. Everyone knows when Walter is caught the story is over and they want the story to continue because it’s interesting, so you root for him.

Walter was a piece of shit but he was fun to watch. Like Tony Montana, or Tony Soprano, or Michael Corleone. Etc etc.

I would write more, but it is fucking hard to post on this website anymore because of all the shitty ads that get in your face

I find it strange people wonder why the audience likes Walter.

First off the story is told from his perspective so that does a lot of the work; and they keep it exciting. Everyone knows when Walter is caught the story is over and they want the story to continue because it’s interesting, so you root for him.

Walter was a piece of shit but he was fun to watch. Like Tony Montana, or Tony Soprano, or Michael Corleone. Etc etc.

I would write more, but it is fucking hard to post on this website anymore because of all the shitty ads that get in your face

1- Walt drives the story. Agreed.
Tony Soprano laid the foundation for Walt. The deeply flawed lead character who is scumbag but is also in some ways relatable as an "everyman" (that is the idea at least)

2- Brave browser. No ads.
Problem solved.
Try it. It's a game changer.

1- Walt drives the story. Agreed.
Tony Soprano laid the foundation for Walt. The deeply flawed lead character who is scumbag but is also in some ways relatable as an "everyman" (that is the idea at least)

2- Brave browser. No ads.
Problem solved.
Try it. It's a game changer.

Will do.

I think even Michael Corleone laid the foundation for Walter. You want to see how many obstacles he can face and overcome; how high can the odds stack against him and he wins it without the writing getting ridiculous

you have the most retarded quote I have seen on Sherdog congrats. I have been to Ukraine. To force the idiotic Nazi Propaganda on these people is so far from reality really hurts to read that. Esp. when you had an actual Nazi with SS runes tattoed leading Wagner for the russians playing german music in their training camps. Will stop here but oh my americans are so isolated from the world its incredible.
Did I miss something here? Was a post edited or has someone quoted incorrectly with several browsers open or what? Lol

I was hoping badly that Walt would end up killing Skylar in the last act. He had already lost almost every shred of humanity, might as well take the final piece from him.

Look at it like this . Without his fierce self harming loyalty risking his family and his own life he would have happily lived to the end being friends and work buddies with Gus earning millions having zero issues with anything or anyone. All problems ,like the poisoning, ( which he needed to do to survive as he was hunted by then) result from him putting Jesse's needs way above his own and his families. Imo it was because at that point Jesse felt like a son to him.

Without fuck boy Jesse Walt was the perfect Businesspartner for Gus. Trustworthy, loyal ,quiet ,family man, highly intelligent.

Everything else only came after the incident.
idk
gus was a snake through and through
maybe his end goal was to have pedo dude replace Walt after some years

also nothing is for sure with the beef gus had with the salamancas and the cartel.

gus won but it's a world of endless strife and power vacuums

it's like driving drunk regularly nothing may happen but the chances are much higher of it happening and when it does you get fucked

I think I have been convinced to watch:

S5 in its entirety.

S4 I will use my discretion and remain open minded to watching Skylar and Walt scenes but I may skip Skylar/Marie scenes, or certain sub plots if there continues to be "filler" stuff like the Marie shoplifting or Jesse/Badger NA meetings

I am enjoying the show.
As I touched upon in a recent post, I feel like the writing and execution of Skylar's character is getting better towards the end of S3 where I am now.

I have noticed, particularly when it comes to the female dialogue, a certain pattern of redundancy. Obviously I don't want to miss major plot points or put myself in a position where I will lack understanding or context, BUT it seems to me that almost all of what Skylar and Marie say (thru S1, S2 and the first half of S3), is rehashing something that I already saw on screen, this is why I feel pretty confident that I won't miss anything.
If the only real function of a scene is to convey that Skylar or Marie figured out something that I already saw occur on screen, I am confident my mind can fill in those gaps.

I have a pretty good memory and I am watching pretty close to straight thru as I am still recovering from a major surgery and have loads of free time and still can't play drums or piano, which are my primary activities to spend my time.

Well it sounds like you've made up your mind and you're obviously free to do as you please. But I'll just say that BB is probably my favorite series I've seen as an adult and I'd be hella pissed if I saw the series finale wrap and then realized I hadn't watched all of Skylar's scenes to understand and appreciate everything that happens. If you think there are any throw away scenes in BB, you're simply not paying enough attention.

TBF it's been years since I watched but I don't remember Skylar and Marie ever simply rehashing what just happened lmao. This isn't an episode of Three's Company. OCD Vince Gilligan and his team wrote in all kinds of details into every scene to foreshadow events or help make sense of previous ones. BB and Better Call Saul are two of the most meticulously crafted series ever.

Last edited:
Just started S4

At the risk of stating the obvious, Giancarlo Esposito delivers a tremendous performance as Gus Fring.

I personally find a nuanced and subtle performance like that to be much more impressive and challenging than the much more overtly emotional acting that tends to get recognition.

The way he could be menacing and intimidating while staying within a character so poised and stately is no small feat. The writing certainly helps the character, but Esposito delivers. Reminds me just a bit of Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men the way he is able to execute such clear power within a patient and reserved mannerism.

Genuinely bizarre to me how me folks can't wrap their head around the concept (no need to agree with it, but odd to not grasp the concept) that I don't need to watch redundant scenes in a show which features SO MANY instances of what I would call "Captain obvious syndrome" where the actors are literally just stating what was just shown on the screen.

I guess a lot of people don't notice it or don't mind it. It happened A LOT in seasons 2 and 3.

There is a pretty well know saying for film, probably appears in every film 101 textbook "Show me don't tell me" fairly self explanatory but to take it a step further definitely "don't tell me what you just showed me"

I find that type of redundancy annoying and lazy. I'd you don't, that's OK.

Last edited:
Look at it like this . Without his fierce self harming loyalty risking his family and his own life he would have happily lived to the end being friends and work buddies with Gus earning millions having zero issues with anything or anyone. All problems ,like the poisoning, ( which he needed to do to survive as he was hunted by then) result from him putting Jesse's needs way above his own and his families. Imo it was because at that point Jesse felt like a son to him.

Without fuck boy Jesse Walt was the perfect Businesspartner for Gus. Trustworthy, loyal ,quiet ,family man, highly intelligent.

Everything else only came after the incident.

Walt is not this selfless angel. WTH.

He killed the hot girl Jesse was dating too though.

He also started Jesse's descent into mental instability because he made him kill the other chemist.

Last edited:
I was on the anti-Skylar bandwagon upon first viewing. But much more sympathetic toward her on second viewing. I think she didn't do much scummy things other than cheating on Walt, which in the breaking bad universe is a pretty mild offense. I think most people dislike Skylar because she made it much harder for Walt to be a criminal if only she had just accept a ignorant housewife that knows nothing kind of role like the wife of notorious assassin Richard Kuklinski.

Skylar is only unlikable because she is the only rational person in the whole show.

Lol I'd argue there is not a single likeable person on the entire show.

Except for maybe Todd / Neo Nazis / Declan - loved these guys

you have the most retarded quote I have seen on Sherdog congrats. I have been to Ukraine. To force the idiotic Nazi Propaganda on these people is so far from reality really hurts to read that. Esp. when you had an actual Nazi with SS runes tattoed leading Wagner for the russians playing german music in their training camps. Will stop here but oh my americans are so isolated from the world its incredible.
I think that the above demonstrates perfectly that Skylar scenes should be skipped.

Unfortunately her being an insufferable twat features prominently

She annoyed the hell out of me on first watch, second time I watched her more as her own person (instead of purely in reference to Walt) and she is fine.

TS, don't watch succession.

I am watching Breaking Bad.
I have never seen it all the way thru.

I'm at season 3 ep 7, having watched several episodes this last week.

Previously I stopped watching and I think it was because Skylar just annoys the ever loving shit out of me.

Will I miss out on anything of extreme importance if I just FF thru her scenes?

I get that her character is supposed to be irritating and affect pressure onto Walt. Cool. I get it.
If there is Some stress affecting Walt, that might be part of it. I think I can piece that together on the occasions it comes up. I doubt this ruins the experience for me.
_______

Anyway, without spoilers for S3-5...
Is there any major reason why I should not just skip that annoying shit, save myself a few hours over the course of the series?

Barring some extremely compelling post here, I think that will be my move.

Back