News BREAKING: Jose Aldo unretires; Will face Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301 in Rio

The 6 month waiting period is also in the new policy too.

5.7.3. An Athlete who gives notice of retirement to UFC, or has otherwise ceased to have a contractual relationship with UFC due to Athlete-Initiated Inactivity, may not resume competing in UFC Bouts until he/shehas given UFC written notice of his/her intent to resume competing and has made him/herself availablefor Testing for a period of 180 days before returning to competition. UFC may grant an exemption to the180 days written notice rule in exceptional circumstances or where the strict application of that rulewould be manifestly unfair to an Athlete.

Appreciate the info. I'm guessing this new outfit is less stringent with something like this and that is seen as a plus for the UFC.

RESPECT TO ALDO!

He’s not taking some lame ass YouTuber influencer crossover boxing match like some legends do.

well thats random
WAR ALDO always but is this a one-off?
regardless im gonna watch

This is dumb. Why do some fighters fight themselves into full CTE

aldo getting paid

it'll be interesting to see what happens if he wins.

Appreciate the info. I'm guessing this new outfit is less stringent with something like this and that is seen as a plus for the UFC.
I mean, I don't give a shit if they did give him an exemption from the 6 month rule. I'd rather see fighters compete than not see them.

I'm just amazed not a single journalist realized Aldo shouldn't be able to compete in only 2 months time. There's an obvious follow up question of if they gave him an exemption lol.

when unstoppable leg kicks meet immovable leg checks. Someone's leg gonna snap like a twig a la spider silva or still my boy wediman

This is why these fighters need more of the revenue split. Most of these guys come out bc they never made enough money in the UFC to retire properly.
I don't dispute that they need more money, but idk that it'd eliminate guys coming back.

Boxers get paid a metric shitton in comparison but plenty of them go way too long, or retire and return, etc. It happens in plenty of other sports, too.

These guys know 1 way of life and have exceptional, often too much, confidence in their ability to do it "one more time." They all crave competition.

UFC so desperate for star-power they're hittin up retirement homes...

They realized 301 lacked any actual Brazilian stars and they gotta sell tickets. Aldo fought outside the UFC once retiring so it has to be a new contract no?
Not necessarily. Fighters can retire with fights left on their contract and the UFC can release them but can also just give them permission to box or something else that is prohibited normally but still be under contract. Realistically the UFC likely went to Aldo and asked him if he wanted to be on the Rio card. Maybe he went to them for his last fight under his deal or something but they probably threw some extra cash to lure him back for this one. Also Jose likely wants to go out on a win.

Back