International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

At this point, I don't really care who wins, Brexit or Remain. I just hope it turns violent. Game of Thrones is finished and I'm not particularly impressed with the MCU Phase 4 movies. English Civil War II: The Brexiteers Strike Back would at least give me something cool to watch on TV;)

No one's going to win , and even worse its probably going to be endlessly interminably boring too .

Boris Johnson asks Queen to suspend Parliament

The government has asked the Queen to suspend Parliament just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

Boris Johnson said a Queen's Speech would take place after the suspension, on 14 October, to outline his "very exciting agenda".

But it means the time MPs have to pass laws to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October would be cut.

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said it was a "constitutional outrage".

The speaker, who does not traditionally comment on political announcements, continued: "However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of [suspending Parliament] now would be to stop [MPs] debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-49493632

Funny to me that now people are worried about democracy, and people's voice being heard.

Brexit is a complicated issue, but the legally binding vote that made Brexit law in the UK isn't.

To me it has been obvious for over a year that a hard Brexit was going to happen.

Not sure why those against it, keep trying to stop the inevitable.

I think if you really have the people on your side to stay in the EU, you should take the hard Brexit, and move for a vote to re-join.

Discuss..........

At some point the right wing temper tantrum in Britain will end.

Funny to me that now people are worried about democracy, and people's voice being heard.

Brexit is a complicated issue, but the legally binding vote that made Brexit law in the UK isn't.

To me it has been obvious for over a year that a hard Brexit was going to happen.

Not sure why those against it, keep trying to stop the inevitable.

I think if you really have the people on your side to stay in the EU, you should take the hard Brexit, and move for a vote to re-join.

Discuss..........

No the referendum vote is not legally binding , that's a large part of the current omnishambles .

No the referendum vote is not legally binding , that's a large part of the current omnishambles .

Really?

According to article 50 I think it is.

Or is this one of those things where we argue what the words shall not be infringed means?

When has a conservative's agenda ever been "exciting"?

Spoiler warning: it's the usual tax breaks for millionaires, cutting of protections against abuse and corruption, and privatization of the public good, all made palatable by some outlandish lies and good old fashioned racism.

Boris Johnson warns Trump US must compromise to get UK trade deal

_108489723_hi056016298.jpg

The US must lift restrictions on UK businesses if it wants a trade deal with the UK, Boris Johnson has said.

Travelling to the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, the PM said there were "very considerable barriers in the US to British businesses".

Mr Johnson said he had already spoken to President Donald Trump about his concerns, adding he would do so again when they meet on Sunday morning.

The prime minister will also hold talks with EU Council President Donald Tusk.

"There are massive opportunities for UK companies to open up, to prise open the American market," Mr Johnson said.

"We intend to seize those opportunities but they are going to require our American friends to compromise and to open up their approach, because currently there are too many restrictions."

Offering an example of a restriction, Mr Johnson said: "Melton Mowbray pork pies, which are sold in Thailand and in Iceland, are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don't know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."

He continued: "UK bell peppers cannot get into the US market at all.

"Wine shipments are heavily restricted. If you want to export wine made in England to the US you have to go through a US distributor.

"There is a tax on British micro-breweries in the US that doesn't apply to US micro-breweries in the UK."

Last month, President Trump said talks about a "very substantial" trade deal with the UK were already under way.

He said a bilateral post-Brexit deal could lead to a "three to four, five times" increase in current trade - but provided no details about how that would be achieved.

However, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said a UK-US trade deal would not get through Congress if Brexit undermined the Good Friday Agreement.

Ms Pelosi said the UK's exit from the EU could not be allowed to endanger the 1998 Irish peace deal, which the US helped facilitate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49462613

Hahaha

So the Queen already said yes. That means Parliament cannot stop no deal, so why waste everyone's time with negotiations?

aren't things pretty much locked in at this point? is the eu really going to negotiate now?

admittedly, i'm pretty ignorant on this subject

aren't things pretty much locked in at this point? is the eu really going to negotiate now?

admittedly, i'm pretty ignorant on this subject

Yeah , there doesn't seem a lot of point in the EU negotiating now

Honoring the largest referendum in the history of the UK is the new fascism.

No mandate for hard brexit specifically in that vote and no mandate for Johnson from anyone but a small number of Tory members.

No mandate for hard brexit specifically in that vote and no mandate for Johnson from anyone but a small number of Tory members.

No mandate. Other than David Cameron repeating over and over again that Brexit would mean leaving the customs union and the single market. Which became "Hard Brexit" after the referendum.

Back