Brief review of Thaismai Bag Mitts

hangulmalmotayo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As promised, here is a brief review of the Thaismai bag mitts.

A lot of what I will say here has been said in an earlier thread, but I thought it worthwhile to give my thoughts in a more collected manner.

So I have had these Thaismai bag mitts for a few weeks now and have used them quite a bit. I have been rotating them with my normal bag gloves.

Makedansure has been something of an evangelist for bag mitts on the heavy bag and he recommended these to me. They were cheap ($25 shipped) so I thought I'd try them out.

Feel: while they certainly fit like a glove after having been broken in, the disparity between the pre- and post- break-in is not that great since the padding used in the glove is not terribly thick. On the heavy bag and DE bag these feel really great. As one might expect, they are highly responsive. The best thing about them, in my opinion, is the feel of really puncturing the bag with your punches. As mentioned in a lot of posts, one must be mindful of one's technique with these gloves. If you punch improperly, you can injure yourself. That said, if your technique is good, these are really fantastic to work with. Imagine the responsiveness you get with your favorite bag glove. Then multiply it by five. That's the sort of experience these mitts afford. You can make a perfect fist with these. I have gone just as hard with these gloves as my 19oz. Zeus gloves with no problems.

Fit: I normally wear a L when it comes to gloves, but I was told that these run somewhat small and got the XL. The XL fits perfectly. My only complaint is that the very tip of the glove sometimes presses up against my fingers (e.g., when I throw thousands of uppercuts consecutively). It almost feels like a string is pressing up against the tip of my middle finger. I can move my finger to the side of this string, but it's not comfortable. But this has only been an issue a few times. Also, I have found that my knuckles are more liable to abrasions. I have gotten skinned on my middle knuckle on both hands with these. It hasn't been terribly serious and the issue might have well been my handwraps. There is a lot of padding at the end of the hand (not quite the finger tip but around that area), which I don't really understand. But it's fine.

There is a thumbless and a thumbed option. I initially purchased the former (and have been using that one), but I also bought a pair of full-thumb mitts as well (for the same price). With regard to the former, I have not had any issues with my thumbs getting skinned. Others have mentioned that this can be an issue, though.

Durability: I'm not sure how durable these gloves will be. They don't seem like they'll fall apart any time soon. Moreover, the padding that is used on these is probably not the sort that will tear or break down (at least this is my assumption given the nature of the glove).

Appearance: I don't think anyone will be buying these because they are flashy. They look pretty simple and straightforward. Actually, they have an old school look to them which is pretty bad ass. The leather is nice, the stitching is straightforward.

I can understand why someone would use bag mitts exclusively for the heavy bag. I mix it up and will sometimes use normal training gloves and sometimes the bag mitts. I must confess that on almost every occasion that I switch gloves while working the heavy bag, if I use the mitts at any point, I will usually end up returning to them after a round or so and finishing my workout with them because they feel so much sharper than other gloves. The reason I don't use the mitts exclusively on the heavy bag is simply because I'm worried that I will grow too accustomed to their lightness. This may not be a realistic fear, but this is my rationale. If weight were not a factor, I would 100% use these alone on the heavy bag. I recently injured my finger tendon (don't really know how) and the mitts are much more agreeable than other gloves simply because it is much easier to make a fist.

[I would also add, having used at least one pair of fight gloves on the heavy bag with regularity, that these are, for a lot of reasons, preferable to fight gloves on the heavy bag.]

TL;DR: bag mitts good and cheap. worth trying out. they are great.

And here are pictures:

IMG_4711.jpg IMG_4713.jpg IMG_4712.jpg IMG_4710.jpg

Last edited:
But how do we know you don't just have bag mitt fever? What other bag mitts have you used and what's the fight gloves that you allude to near the end?

Appearance: I don't think anyone will be buying these because they are flashy. They look pretty simple and straightforward.
dealbreaker. why can't they have some flames on them or something? flames make the gloves go faster. or have faux croc leather or a couple embroidered skulls or something else totally awesome on there?

But how do we know you don't just have bag mitt fever? What other bag mitts have you used and what's the fight gloves that you allude to near the end?

dealbreaker. why can't they have some flames on them or something? flames make the gloves go faster. or have faux croc leather or a couple embroidered skulls or something else totally awesome on there?
These are valid points.

I know I don't have bag mitt fever because I have not yet committed to memory the number combinations of Old School Everlast bag mitts. Also, I have not purchased additional bag mitts for several days.

I've only had the generic Ringside "Professional Bag Gloves" in 2013. That was a time when I was younger and less accustomed to the gear-aholism that I would later become far too familiar with. So to be fair, I don't have much to compare these to in terms of bag mitts.

The fight gloves that I was alluding to are the Fairtex BGL6s in 12oz. I have tried Ringside ultimate pro fight gloves and the Rival Guerrero pro fight gloves, but not at length. That said, the satisfaction I got from using the BGL6s (gloves I enjoyed quite a bit but for a defective thumb) is also had with this significantly less expensive alternative.

I concede your last point. And, after some thought, for an extra $50 or so (have the gloves mailed to me), I can draw stuff on the gloves. Smiley faces and flames of fire. Things like that. I also have stickers I can put on them. Unicorns, rainbows, etc.

I know I don't have bag mitt fever because I have not yet committed to memory the number combinations of Old School Everlast bag mitts. Also, I have not purchased additional bag mitts for several days.
But do you secretly long for those things whilst sharing the same bed as your Thaismai mitts, and actively fear the prospect of your own lustful infidelity destroying the loving bag mitt relationship you've worked so hard to forge?

Oh, I forgot to add: I don't like using them on the speed bag because the padding gets in the way.

I got them from a feller on ebay. I wonder if he is still selling them... It sounded like he had a few...

Thaismai have always looked cheap to me, the high price tag that goes along with it doesnt make sense. IMO they should be cheaper than their competitors.

Are you referring to the $20?

no, the ones you posted, they dont look like bad quality, but they dont stand out as great either. When comparing them to the other major brands, they look like the cheaper version, but the price tag doesnt reflect that.

top king look much nicer

gloves-Bags-1304-S.jpg

Stop trolling a thread that's about stuff you're not even interested in buying.

no, the ones you posted, they dont look like bad quality, but they dont stand out as great either. When comparing them to the other major brands, they look like the cheaper version, but the price tag doesnt reflect that.

top king look much nicer

gloves-Bags-1304-S.jpg

lol. OP is referring to the price he got them for in the eBay link provided. Those top king gloves look... unique. I personally love how low key the Thaismai mitts being reviewed look. I have a pair, and they are very well made.

for the price and given whats currently available, I would say I like them considerably.

I've only tried one other thai brand of mitts, and that's Windy. Windy is also constructed very well, but the padding is a little too thick and spongy for what I'm looking for in a bag mitt. These thaismai mitts have a thin layer of padding and are precurved, padding is still a little spongy. They are also made of composite leather (very high quality, only knew because of the tag protruding out of the cuff label), which has its pros and cons. I prefer real leather. If you can get the gloves with the thumb cover instead of the thumbless it would be ideal. but do know that my thumbs are very long, and anytime I wear thumbless gloves, my thumbs get skinned up.

I like them more than the Windys and better than the Cleto reyes bag mitts, which are also precurved. However, my favorite mitts of all time are the old Tuf Wear mitts. Second come the everlast 43056. Neither of those mitts are precurved, the padding is very dense, and they feel amazing. I just remembered that I've been wanting to make a thread with a comparison of all the mitts I've used... thanks for the reminder!

Makedansure , why you quoting a post from a completely different thread on this one ?

thaismai isnt bad, good leather etc. IMO the other brands are better quality. If thaismai was priced cheaper, I think they would do better. They seem to be more of a budget glove than top of the line. this is just my opinion. I have used thaismai, twins, windy, and boons. I probably get twins next time around. The windy and thaismai seem pretty much identical.

449760.jpg

Back