Burpees

Im doing burpees at 300ishlbs bodyweight so they probably feel differently to me than others in the thread

damn, are you doing the full jump too? I feel like me knees and achilles heels would start to take a beating doing this type of exercises at that kind of weight

I think it's over the overall best for me at the moment, but it depends on your current level.

My best overall conditioning is usually achieved when I'm running the Pit Workout a couple times a week on top of rolling. I don't get there often.

damn, are you doing the full jump too? I feel like me knees and achilles heels would start to take a beating doing this type of exercises at that kind of weight
Doing it barefoot, the toes start to get raw. From the sprawl and push off

I did burpees with the jump for years.

Then about two years ago I had a minor knee injury, and found that I could still do burpees if I eliminated the jump. So I did them this way for a while, intending it to be a temporary thing.

I was surprised to find that removing the jump didn't really make burpees any easier. I think it's because without the jump I don't have to reset my feet between each rep; my form stays tighter which translates to a quicker pace.

At the end of the day, the whole point is to build conditioning so I don't think it really matters how you do your burpees (unless you're training for some kind of burpee competition). I've continued to do them without the jump, thinking it's just a bit less wear and tear on my knees. Burpees suck either way.

The jump is gay don't do the jump. Seriously.

Just hit 3 pump navy seals at a constant pace you'll be good to go.

My personal best burpee workouts were 450 burps with 1350 pushups and then a 660 one pump burpees workout. That grind is addictive. If you know you know.

How would you go about progressively programming them? Say for a fat mf. Do so many per minute and increase as conditioning gets better?
I would follow the @TheToneZone 's advice: Don't do jumps yet with your weight. Fix your diet first and go down to a weight where you're comfortable crashing your achilles and knees down. I'm back to doing 50(with jump). I could maybe squeeze in 60. That's 10 burpees per minute. You could maybe start at 5 burpees per minute for 8 minutes. Add an extra minute after month. After 2 months, do 6 burpees per minute for 10. Add another burpee after 2 weeks until you reach 10. But I REALLY don't advice jump burpees at your current weight.

I think crawling is the exercise I would do forever if i could only do one, it's so versatile that it can address so many different needs.

@DeadshoT How many burpees can you do at your bodyweight? It's amazing that you're doing full burpees at that weight! I used to have a 90lbs weight vest that i would use for burpees and that would bring me up to about 300lbs, but I had to be very, very careful with jumps. My form would start falling apart and I'd get tired as I did them, which made me look for ways to work the legs without the same impact. What I came up with was one-legged burpees: from the top of the pus-up, bring one leg forward (kind of like a split squat except all your weight is on that leg) and stand up with the rear leg dragging. This actually belt some real strength and endurance in my legs.

I think crawling is the exercise I would do forever if i could only do one, it's so versatile that it can address so many different needs.

@DeadshoT How many burpees can you do at your bodyweight? It's amazing that you're doing full burpees at that weight! I used to have a 90lbs weight vest that i would use for burpees and that would bring me up to about 300lbs, but I had to be very, very careful with jumps. My form would start falling apart and I'd get tired as I did them, which made me look for ways to work the legs without the same impact. What I came up with was one-legged burpees: from the top of the pus-up, bring one leg forward (kind of like a split squat except all your weight is on that leg) and stand up with the rear leg dragging. This actually belt some real strength and endurance in my legs.
Sets of 10 or so before I gotta take a rest but I can do a slower deliberate pace and knock out 40 without stopping. Again it's a slower pace though.

Sets of 10 or so before I gotta take a rest but I can do a slower deliberate pace and knock out 40 without stopping. Again it's a slower pace though.

That is fucking impressive! Do you have a youtube channel? There was a large dude calling himself the Hulk (I think) who was doing burpees like it was NBD, would be wild if it was you!

That is fucking impressive! Do you have a youtube channel? There was a large dude calling himself the Hulk (I think) who was doing burpees like it was NBD, would be wild if it was you!
No that's not me but I believe I've seen the videos

Get more work in less time doing burpee on a bag, then press slam it . Repeat x Not many because it's gonna drain you.

Fuck I hate burpees, sometimes at our gym we have to do them holding a medicine ball, now that is fucked up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back