Economy BYD new 12k EV is being call by Elon an extinction level event to automakers.

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Between you an me a warm over BMW I3 hardly an extinction level event. GM already tried dumping Chevy Volts for 20k with rebates has a better interior an way more driver tech.

ff3f15d62e18a2627ea28681cf991986

No doubt it's well built but the size an safety could come into question. Putting up trade barriers only hurt consumers. Yes it is an election year an Elon comment will only inflame the issues . Biden talking about 100 percent import tax on Chinese manufacturers. That will only cause higher material costs.

I think Europe an US had to get to share key technologies to make cars affordable an reaching higher levels refinement. Elon need not lose sleep because his profit margins crush every mass produces car outside of Ferrari.

I think Europe an US had to get to share key technologies to make cars affordable an reaching higher levels refinement.

From my understanding thats why Toyota is killing it with their hybrid cars. Baseline brand new Corolla gets 50MPG on highway and city driving for 23K.

Tesla owners i think will have a coming to jesus moment this decade. Theyll be realizing that purchasing a Prius instead of a Tesla wouldve been better.

From my understanding thats why Toyota is killing it with their hybrid cars. Baseline brand new Corolla gets 50MPG on highway and city driving for 23K.

Tesla owners i think will have a coming to jesus moment this decade. Theyll be realizing that purchasing a Prius instead of a Tesla wouldve been better.

Toyota also just has a business model that crushes it. They build most of their vehicles in the countries they are sold in to get around import tariffs. Lower logistics costs plus it builds a lot of goodwill with the locals and their governments.

Purchasing any other than a Telsa would be better. Quality is trash and the depreciating curve is only going to get worse. Used EVs are something I wouldn't touch with a ten foot poll.

Cars will be like TVs. So cheap from China that they are disposable. Goodbye and good riddance to GM and Ford

Yea my last Corolla during Covid was 18k brand new. I couldn't believe it. I had to get another one and it went up about 5k. Corollas are so cheap and reliable I doubt I'll ever get anything else.

Cars will be like TVs. So cheap from China that they are disposable. Goodbye and good riddance to GM and Ford
Yay, more dependence on Chinese crap!

Yea my last Corolla during Covid was 18k brand new. I couldn't believe it. I had to get another one and it went up about 5k. Corollas are so cheap and reliable I doubt I'll ever get anything else.

During Covid my CTS began having repetitive electrical problems. So i bought a cheap Accord to replace it. Debating about getting a new one soon and the Corolla looks like a steal. Only thing i dislike about it is the iPad dash.

During Covid my CTS began having repetitive electrical problems. So i bought a cheap Accord to replace it. Debating about getting a new one soon and the Corolla looks like a steal. Only thing i dislike about it is the iPad dash.

I like the Ipad dash but I hate that it wont show traffic data on the map program unless I type in a destination. Also my 2020 didn't work with carplay unless I connected through the cable. My new car does work without the cable so that was a nice improvement. The other issues I have with it are all related to auto-safety features. I'm reversing out of my driveway and I forget why now but I was going to quickly open and close my door (I think something got stuck outside the door) and the car initiated the emergency brakes on it's own. I was pretty pissed about that. Another one is if I come up my jobs parking garage to slowly it starts warning me about a collision because it thinks I'm going to hit the concrete cause it's so steep I guess.

We have seen this story before in Japan and South Korea.

Newly industrialized countries who created robust domestic automotive industries and then decided to make it a major part of their export strategy.

It took a long time for their brands to be accepted in Europe and the USA. Cheap models were the beachhead and then they moved up to luxury models.

I believe that Japanese car exports to the US were a major trade negotiation topic in the 80's and early 90's. Less sure about Korea.

The Biden administration is signalling a strategy of extremely high tariff against Chinese auto imports. The stated reason is industrial policy - the protection of the US EV industry from cheaper foreign imports.

All this tells me is that the Chinese EVs are for real. If they were terrible nobody would be all that worried about US customers actually buying them.

Lots of Asian countries have gone from having reputations for manufacturing "cheap crap" to being lauded as paragons of quality. Taiwan, Japan, and Korea all went through variations of this metamorphosis.

I don't see why it would be all that different for China, outside of politics.

The other issues I have with it are all related to auto-safety features. I'm reversing out of my driveway and I forget why now but I was going to quickly open and close my door (I think something got stuck outside the door) and the car initiated the emergency brakes on it's own.

Co-worker had a new Durango with such features. Was at a clients house and she asked me to back it out of the driveway for her. Driveway was filled with overhanging trees that the Durango automatically applied the brake every two feet. Freaking car made it look like i was a 90 year old asian woman driving, lol.

Thanks for the input. Something i'll keep a lookout for if i test drive one in the next few months.

: )

There was a thread on Reddit in AskOldPeople about what was the most reliable car you ever owned. It seemed like nine out of ten were Toyota owners talking about how many trouble free cars they have with 300k+ miles.

There was a thread on Reddit in AskOldPeople about what was the most reliable car you ever owned. It seemed like nine out of ten were Toyota owners talking about how many trouble free cars they have with 300k+ miles.

I'm surprised it wasn't all Buicks with the 3800 under the hood. Old people liked them, and they were very reliable.

I figured old people would not buy Japanese due to them having personally fought them in WW2.

Between you an me a warm over BMW I3 hardly an extinction level event. GM already tried dumping Chevy Volts for 20k with rebates has a better interior an way more driver tech.

ff3f15d62e18a2627ea28681cf991986

No doubt it's well built but the size an safety could come into question. Putting up trade barriers only hurt consumers. Yes it is an election year an Elon comment will only inflame the issues . Biden talking about 100 percent import tax on Chinese manufacturers. That will only cause higher material costs.

I think Europe an US had to get to share key technologies to make cars affordable an reaching higher levels refinement. Elon need not lose sleep because his profit margins crush every mass produces car outside of Ferrari.
- Wond't the mass producer be Fiat, Ferrari owner?

- It's one of the more realiable car makers. It's lasts years

Lots of Asian countries have gone from having reputations for manufacturing "cheap crap" to being lauded as paragons of quality. Taiwan, Japan, and Korea all went through variations of this metamorphosis.

I don't see why it would be all that different for China, outside of politics.
- In my opinion europeans and american car manufacturer lost their touchs.

I'm surprised it wasn't all Buicks with the 3800 under the hood. Old people liked them, and they were very reliable.

I figured old people would not buy Japanese due to them having personally fought them in WW2.
Huh? WW2 was 80 years ago, those people are all over 100, not many left.

Back