• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cain Velasquez Granted Permission to Corner Usman Nurmagomedov at Bellator 300

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-2_15-55-7.png

Cain Velasquez will be in the corner of American Kickboxing Academy teammate Usman Nurmagomedov at Bellator 300 on Saturday.

Velasquez, who is expected to go on trial for attempted murder in January, received permission to work the event through a court order, which was initially confirmed by California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster to MMAFighting.com on Monday. While Velasquez has traveled for sponsorship duties and to appear on a professional wrestling card, this will be his first time cornering a fight since his arrest in February 2022.

Velasquez is facing attempted murder and other charges after allegedy chasing and shooting at Harry Goularte, who has been accused of molesting Velasquez’s young son. During a high-speed chase, Velasquez fired at the vehicle containing Goularte and allegedly hit and injured his stepfather, Paul Bender. Velasquez has pleaded not guilty to the charges. If found guilty, he faces 20 years to life in prison.

Velasquez was released on released on $1 million bail in November after spending eight months in a holding facility. He remains under GPS surveillance and cannot leave his home without the court’s permission, which he was granted to attend Bellator 300. Last week, Velasquez’s trial-setting date was extended to Dec. 6 with the understanding that the trial date would be set for sometime in mid-to-late January at the next hearing.

Continue Reading

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...ner-Usman-Nurmagomedov-at-Bellator-300-191250

Not going to get into the whole debate about the circumstances, justified or not, etc. But it is surprising how lenient they’re being with somebody charged with such a serious crime.

It’s California, they are pretty lenient.

Not going to get into the whole debate about the circumstances, justified or not, etc. But it is surprising how lenient they’re being with somebody charged with such a serious crime.

Me too. But I think there is more to it than simply him want to corner a fighter or do pro wrestling etc. I think his lawyer knows it's going to be a very tough case to win and they're gonna need every advantage. I think them fighting for Cain doing all these public events and just being a citizen paints the picture that he's not a hard criminal. It can make his case look better in front of a jury.

Another win for the good guy, hope that trend continues
wwe-scott-hall.gif

It’s California, they are pretty lenient.
This is before the trial though. It won't be lenient. He is almost certainly going to prison and his family will lose him unfortunately.

Me too. But I think there is more to it than simply him want to corner a fighter or do pro wrestling etc. I think his lawyer knows it's going to be a very tough case to win and they're gonna need every advantage. I think them fighting for Cain doing all these public events and just being a citizen paints the picture that he's not a hard criminal. It can make his case look better in front of a jury.

I believe this 100%. It's an uphill battle for Cain.

Reactions: JKS
Man, that's good. Glad he can get to do that

Eh, he's not sentenced yet. Pre-trial type stuff, if you're not being ankle monitored or anything, is mostly just "You have to call in on this and this date and report this date" stuff, so as long as you request something simple, you can get it. Plus, it's in California, so it's not like they have to deal with any travel/extradition shit

Last edited:
It's a state that literally allows people to loot and pillage anything up to $1000 without consequence. For once though, their leniency goes towards a good person instead of some human trash as per usual.

i think Cain's fucked if the guy doesn't get found guilty of molesting Cain's son.
Not coming down on ya, but there is another Cain thread that would probably be more suited for this part of the conversation

But to address that point: Legally speaking? The other guy's case is not supposed to matter. If an attorney even brings up what's the current filings and evidence directly from the other case, a judge can shut that down immediately (could be different state to state, dunno bout Cali). Of course, when it comes to a jury, you're absolutely right. People can't just block the results from their minds

It's a state that literally allows people to loot and pillage anything up to $1000 without consequence. For once though, their leniency goes towards a good person instead of some human trash as per usual.
Ladies and gentleman, a man who has never heard of misdemeanors or small claims court.

Ladies and gentleman, a man who has never heard of misdemeanors or small claims court.
Police literally will not show up to people looting stores mate. If you're pretending that the situation in California is the same as it is in the rest of the US, you're either speaking in bad faith, delusional, or haven't traveled much.

Back