California is the First State to Start MMA Fighter Retirement Fund. Starts in 2024.

The idea of a pension is that you have something when you get old and are broke and have a hard time working. They aren't going to start cutting checks to everyone that passes 39 rounds, that would be ridiculous. THAT would be what might cause the LnP you speak of. Fighters aren't going to lay and pray because they have a small safety net at the age of 50 coming. Think about it.

Yes, it is not intended to solve the problems of every fighter in the US, so no one is saying those it helps won't be limited; it is a good start though, and they aren't taxing your average person for it, which is what you would have to do to help the number of people you are alluding to here. A lot of boxers have apparently been able to use their fund in CA, so it may well end up helping a lot of guys who fought at lower-level shows. There are a lot of them here.
39 rounds as opposed to 13 fights is bullshit. You fought all the same. Also, in regards to retirement, most people retire either at or just a few years before their pension. Having to wait until more than ten years for a pension that you literally got your ass kicked for is bullshit.

Money is being collected by the state for people that they know damn well will not collect under state regulations.

I like the idea. 39 rounds is a lot though. That could be, what, at least 11 fights?

probably more like 18 because they won't all go the distance.

Maybe it will help fighters on smaller orgs that only put on events in California. But it won't help UFC fighters who fly all over the place to fight

Maybe if other states join in the partnership it could be a good thing.

The law counts the rounds the fight was scheduled for, not how it played out.

So- organizations will leave and avoid California over 1 dollar added to fan seats? Overreacting, aren't we? I will guarantee you there are a lot of MMA shows in CA, and they aren't going anywhere.
Fans are paying $2000 foir decent seats at the UFC, and they are going to cry about a dollar, and that's going to end MMA in CA? No.

Hope you're right... But it won't be the first time California has driven companies out.

39 rounds (NOT 13 fights. ROUNDS) in California + 50+ years of age = someone's only trying to solve a problem for a small few.

Way too many fighters are forced to retire due to injuries to make 39 rounds. Way too may not-so-good fighters will force themselves to fight 39 rounds than just retire, resulting in life-long injuries. Many UFC will not see this benefit due to the how often events may take place in California. Many fighters who do manage to get 39 rounds in California, having to wait until the age of 50 is a long wait considering that many fighters have to retire decades before that period. Also, consider that there are fighters that have over 50 fights that have not made 39 rounds, yet the tax for their benefits have been paid all the same.

It could definitely use some work to be more equitable. Otherwise, expect lay-and-pray festivals for events in the state of California.
There are fighters that have over 50 fights but don’t have 39 rounds under their belt? The fuck is that a typo or something? How would one accumulate 50 + fights but not 39 rounds? Also, the OP clearly stated it’s not for rounds fought (which people keep repeating in this thread) but rounds signed up for meaning if you had a 3 round fight that ended in 20 seconds, you get credit for 3 rounds still.

The law counts the rounds the fight was scheduled for, not how it played out.

Then why not just state the number of fights? Bureaucracies will bureaucracy.

There are fighters that have over 50 fights but don’t have 39 rounds under their belt? The fuck is that a typo or something? How would one accumulate 50 + fights but not 39 rounds? Also, the OP clearly stated it’s not for rounds fought (which people keep repeating in this thread) but rounds signed up for meaning if you had a 3 round fight that ended in 20 seconds, you get credit for 3 rounds still.

If it was not for rounds, why would the state quote for rounds? Because what is written is legal.

If it was not for rounds, why would the state quote for rounds? Because what is written is legal.
What are you talking about? The state quoted very clearly it is for number of scheduled rounds. There is no misquote on the states part, you are the only one confused here.

39 rounds as opposed to 13 fights is bullshit. You fought all the same. Also, in regards to retirement, most people retire either at or just a few years before their pension. Having to wait until more than ten years for a pension that you literally got your ass kicked for is bullshit.

Money is being collected by the state for people that they know damn well will not collect under state regulations.
You need to look into pensions, because you are WAY off the mark about the way they work. You cannot draw it any time you want unless you paid into it- if you paid into it yourself, you can withdraw it but you lose all the benefits of the payout you get later, you only get the money you paid in; not what the government would add if you waited until retirement age (all of which is irrelevant because the fighters aren't paying into this).

Really, I don't know why people persist in saying this stuff- I HAVE a CA pension account, and have for 30+ years, so I think I am the authority on how they work. The only place you are going to retire young with a government pension is the military, where you can retire once you reach 20 years service. All other government retirements have a minimum age. Most teachers have to be in their 60s, COs and other prison staff in their 50s.

I think you are conflating the UFC with MMA. There are a lot of smaller shows in CA, and there will be people that can use this. They did the same bill for boxers and it has paid a whole lot of them. You should read the bill, it explains how the money accounts work, and it is the language of an enforceable law.

What are you talking about? The state quoted very clearly it is for number of scheduled rounds. There is no misquote on the states part, you are the only one confused here.
It is number of scheduled rounds fought in, lol read the bill. Not number of rounds scheduled.

This is pretty cool, I didn't see this before, pasted from the bill text:
The bill would authorize the commission to award an early retirement benefit to a participating martial artist, who has vested in the MMA Fund but is younger than 50 years of age, for vocational, education, training, or medical need in the amount contained in the participating martial artist's regular account, as specified.
This is like a lot of 401K style plans- you can avoid penalty for early-age withdrawal if you can show specific needs. This way if a fighter has medical expenses (yep, no insurance from the UFC or other orgs....) or is trying to retrain and move on with his life elsewhere, there is an avenue to utilize his money early once vested.

I absolutely do know. Paid out? How much have they gathered? What was the effect on attendance? What’s the administrative cost? How much actually made it to the fighters?

If only you had access to the internet

lol... Exactly how is it supposed to work? Don't they get social security pulled from their checks like everyone else?

Going to impose a min fight or min year requirement? Great... watch fighters get dumped early. And the small MMA circuits will have zero chance to afford this. They barely get by as it is.

And why MMA? I'm not against it. Just don't think its feasible.

Say goodbye to MMA events in California.

<Fedor23>

Hope you're right... But it won't be the first time California has driven companies out.

Highly unlikely as California is the epicenter for entertainment and the largest economy in the US.

Still get more money as a felon and drug addict in California. Shit state.

There is a derangement around California that has no logical basis for folks that have been told by cable news its the worst place in America.

Most of these people live in the bible belt or fly over states and have absolutely no concept of what is actually going on. Which also sadly has some of the worst healthcare outcomes, schools and life expectancy.

California is imperfect - nowhere is perfect - but its extraordinary in many ways. The cost of living is so high because its attracted the most successful people on planet earth.

I think it might be simple jealousy.

A progressive state that represents the epicenter of technology, innovation and entertainment. Where its always sunny, with the most beautiful women and the countries strongest economy that rivals most countries.

Imagine you live in a state that ONLY exports corn which needs federal welfare to do that and you watch Fox news, (which is probably shot in Hollywood.)

I'd hate CA too.

Of course bleeding heart communists would do that
Hell yeah!!

government-out-of-medicare-sign.jpg

*But of all of the fighters that were promoted by Dana, he gets a 30% cut. Cause they wouldn't be anywhere without Dana.

Highly unlikely as California is the epicenter for entertainment and the largest economy in the US.
Of course, he was just regurgitating the Fox News talking points that he blindly believes, which of course have nothing to do with this. Life must suck when the name of a state causes you to billow hate, that's just being brainwashed. I could glow about Florida's beaches, hot chicks, and cool places to visit; I don't give a flying fuck about the politics there, because they have nothing to do with me; it's a place to go, and I'm not sad enough to ruin the good it has by crying, pissing, and moaning about some politics shit. It doesn't rule my life, I'm not brainwashed.

Yes, CA is the technology hub also. Businesses use the huge economic aspects of it to build successful companies, then take it to other places where they never could have built it that big but can take advantage of low competition markets. ROFL at all of these fantasies of businesses not liking CA. This state made them what they are.

Last edited:
Back