California is the First State to Start MMA Fighter Retirement Fund. Starts in 2024.

California MMA fighters will now enjoy a retirement benefit if they meet vesting requirements, thanks to a bill signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday.

Bill AB 1136, drafted by California assemblyman Matt Haney, mirrors a pension fund established in 1982 for professional boxers in California that’s funded by a tax on ticket sales – and allows them to cash out when they schedule the required number of rounds in the state.

MMA fighters will need to schedule at least 39 rounds – they still get credit for full rounds in the event of a finish – in bouts sanctioned by the CSAC and reach 50 to cash out (with exceptions, according to a CSAC release on Tuesday). Boxers have to schedule 75 rounds in the state.

The benefit does not apply retroactively to fighters who’ve fought the required number of rounds in the state.

Foster and CSAC are still at work creating separate revenue streams to fund the retirement benefit; the commission aimed to sell a specialty California license plate with CSAC branding that would put $40 in the pension fund for every plate sold. As of now, the benefit will be funded by a tax of $1 per ticket sold at CSAC-regulated events in addition to concessions and personal contributions. Funding for the retirement benefit will not come from the state’s general fund, the release stated.

Among high-profile supporters of the retirement benefit – the first of its kind among U.S. MMA regulators – is former UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. So is her one-time opponent Cat Zingano, who recently spoke to legislators about the benefit of creating a small safety net for retired MMA fighters.

Haney previously told MMA Fighting the UFC and Bellator, the highest-profile MMA promoters doing business in the state, are “not in opposition” to the benefit and suggested they contribute to it independent of holding events in the state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...assed-becomes-california-law-starting-in-2024

Every state that these guys/women fight in should do this.

This is good. Of course it's not ideal and relatively few fighters will qualify when compared to the number in an entire organization like the UFC, but it's a start which is important at this stage. Hopefully this puts pressure on other states to do the same, given that more fighters will likely want to get on California cards when this begins.

I didn't see this posted here, which surprised me, so I thought I'd toss it up here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/new...ned-into-california-law-by-newsom/ar-AA1i46Jr

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 1136, the Mixed Martial Arts Retirement Benefit Fund, into law, the first of its kind in the United States. The bill by assemblyman Matt Haney (D-San Francisco) should benefit the more than 400 MMA fighters currently licensed by the California State Athletic Commission.

A fighter would need to accrue 39 scheduled rounds — about 12 to 14 bouts — at commission-regulated MMA events beginning next year to vest in the retirement benefit fund. The law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, 2024, does not retroactively cover fighters.

(I don't know really where to post this, but it is news, and it matters to fighters.)

dana-white-thats-fucking-illegal.gif

Dana's gonna force them to move states or cut them when they're a round away

Minimum 39 rounds? The Lawlers and Meinhoefs of the MMA world weep.

So i guess we're going to see another 40 Ken Shamrock fights so he can qualify for it.

lol, no more California cards.
<36>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeKa
Back