Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

Then calculate the total amount spent on supportive housing in the Portland MSA. You're talking about a massive area, one that is nearly 7,000 square miles, an area that is larger than Connecticut, one that actually extends into Washington, and other actual municipalities with their own budgets: Salem (the state Capital), Hillsboro, Albany, Longview, Corvallis. It's not like you're talking about the woods. They have downtown areas, too, and plenty of their own homeless.
Salem is 50 miles from portland. Longview is roughly the same. Albany is 75 miles away and corvallis is over 80. None of those are part of the Portland metro area

Source:
i fucking live here, dude.

"At the April 4 meeting of the Dane County Board, Jeff Weigand, who represents the village of Marshall and surrounding areas, was the sole no vote on a resolution to authorize a grant of $231,000 to Porchlight, a nonprofit organization that provides services to homeless people, to operate its emergency men’s shelter.

In speaking on why he decided to vote no, Weigand said he supports nonprofit organizations providing services to people in need, but “funding of this problem is not going to fix the root cause … for every dollar that we invest in providing someone a temporary place to sleep, we should be investing an equal amount or putting an equal amount of energy towards finding solutions towards the root cause.”

In response, Supervisor Anthony Gray said it “seems reasonable” to address the root cause of homelessness, but asked Weigand what he thought that root cause was.

“Sin is the root cause,” Weigand said. “When God created this world, there was no sin, he created a perfect world, man ruined that by sinning, and we’ve seen the depravity and the decline of our world ever since then. So when we talk about the root cause, if you really want to go back to why we have mental health issues, to why we have greed, to why we have people being mean to other people, it’s sin. And until we address that issue, we’re going to continue to see this issue of homelessness and a whole slate of other issues in our society.”

Guy thinks only Churches should gatekeep aid for the poor:

He cited his own church, which he said offers food, clothing and housing assistance as well as mentorship and counseling to those in need. He declined to name the church.

“That’s the model that I think works the best because the church individuals, people one on one, can determine the difference between someone that wants to continue to make poor decisions, and someone that doesn’t, someone that truly wants to turn their life around,” he said.

His Church requires people to attend Bible Study to receive aid.

And this is how we get theocratic dipsh*ts attempting to use civic mechanisms to proselytize by voting to defund grants of secular non-profits and suggesting that funneling of people to Bible Study is the way to go.

Salem is 50 miles from portland. Longview is roughly the same. Albany is 75 miles away and corvallis is over 80. None of those are part of the Portland metro area

Source:
i fucking live here, dude.
<TrumpWrong1>

2020 census[edit]​

As of the 2020 census, there were 2,512,859 people within the MSA.
The population figures you're quoting are for the Portland MSA. All of the cities I mentioned are encompassed in that MSA.

Maybe they could, you know, get a job or try to be a productive member of their community? Stop having such low expectations for these people.

- Its pretty hard to get a job here, when you're homeless. Theres no fix adress, no phono or acess to a computer to search for jobs.

- Its pretty hard to get a job here, when you're homeless. Theres no fix adress, no phono or acess to a computer to search for jobs.
Then thats the assistance they should get. Not new socks and a Big Mac from some youtuber and a needle exchange program.

There are shelters nearby, but they to be unoccupied, at least during the day it seems that way.
I'm skeptical of your knowledge of homelessness if you don't realize that the vast majority of shelters are closed during the day...
Maybe they could, you know, get a job or try to be a productive member of their community? Stop having such low expectations for these people.
What a great country we live in, we don't even need bootstraps or Rocky music anymore to solve systemic afflictions.
Its interesting that they never mention the percentage of homeless that are drug addicted or mentally ill, likely both. I would say its about 80%
It's mentioned all the time, it's just unproductive since it doesn't cause the levels of homelessness we see today, and even if it did, it's hard to solve either issue without housing someone.
Yep enforce the existing laws and the homeless won't grow like wildfires....don't give them an inch.
What laws would you enforce that would halt homelessness?

I'm skeptical of your knowledge of homelessness if you don't realize that the vast majority of shelters are closed during the day...

What a great country we live in, we don't even need bootstraps or Rocky music anymore to solve systemic afflictions.

It's mentioned all the time, it's just unproductive since it doesn't cause the levels of homelessness we see today, and even if it did, it's hard to solve either issue without housing someone.

we have a mini home grift in our area

would be odd if they stayed closed, because they look like cool hangout spots. They happen to be near a bus hub, you can get around super easily.

would be odd if they stayed closed, because they look like cool hangout spots. They happen to be near a bus hub, you can get around super easily.
Not sure what minihomes have to do with homelessness given how rare they are. If you wanna give cliffs to a video, feel free too.

<TrumpWrong1>

The population figures you're quoting are for the Portland MSA. All of the cities I mentioned are encompassed in that MSA.
Just letting you know that Counting the population of College towns 80 miles away is a disingenuous way to figure out the Portland metro area.

Broadly speaking between the counties that make the actual Portland metro area and its surrounding suburbs end up with closer to 2 million people. (1.9 by my account.)

The population of what you listed would be easily twice that

Just letting you know that Counting the population of College towns 80 miles away is a disingenuous way to figure out the Portland metro area.

Broadly speaking between the counties that make the actual Portland metro area and its surrounding suburbs end up with closer to 2 million people. (1.9 by my account.)

The population of what you listed would be easily twice that
LMFAO, you're the one who quoted the population for this metropolitan area. When you didn't even know what you were citing. Unbelievable.

The whole thing is disingenuous bullying imo. The homeless are almost totally lacking in social/political power, and as such are the perfect target to just kick the shit out of. There's no universe where throwing every homeless person within any given community in jail (which is where this is going) is a good idea, but the point isn't about good ideas; this is purely punitive punching down.

Illegal to squat, illegal to sleep outside, next it will be illegal to sleep.

Loitering...Littering...Public intoxication..Public Defecating..Street Harrassment...and on and on.
And you want those to be arrestable offenses? Maybe one of those would survive a constitutional review. You're trying to fix a leaky boat with a hammer if you think policing is the way forward by and large.

Even assuming those laws survive, you arrest someone and then...what? They get out of jail even deeper in debt and with an additional hit to employers, but somehow those folks will find jobs and housing after?

Portland, a city of just 650K
LMFAO, you're the one who quoted the population for this metropolitan area. When you didn't even know what you were citing. Unbelievable.

You tried to say “look at lil Portland, only 650k residents yet spent 1.7 billion on homelessness!” And I pointed out that this is a strawman argument because the population of the Portland area is closer to 2 million.

Forgive me for using the term, “Portland metro area “ to describe the main hub of my city in the immediate suburbs/bedroom communities surrounding it. I only included The cities and burbs where portlanders work and live while forgetting to account for college towns 80 miles away. Silly me.

You tried to say “look at lil Portland, only 650k residents yet spent 1.7 billion on homelessness!” And I pointed out that this is a strawman argument because the population of the Portland area is closer to 2 million.

Forgive me for using the term, “Portland metro area “ to describe the main hub of my city in the immediate suburbs/bedroom communities surrounding it. I only included The cities and burbs where portlanders work and live while forgetting to account for college towns 80 miles away. Silly me.
His confusion makes sense given the immediate need to run to wikipedia vs the actual reality of living here lol. Personally, when someone says "metro Portland" to me, my mind goes to the actual area governed by Metro itself (which of course someone like Mick could also find on wikipedia, if they took the time)

What does everyone think about the shelter requirement from Martin v. Boise?

You interjected with a ignorant attempt to paint Portland's municipal spending as a "strawmen" by highlighting the population of its metropolitan statistical area without realizing that MSA covers a landmass significantly larger than Connecticut, crosses into two states, spans seven counties, dozens of other municipalities, including sixteen other large cities, one of which is the state's capital, and of those fifteen other cities that lie in Oregon, these include the #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, #12, #13, #16, #19, and #20 most populous cities in Oregon. That's half of the state's top twenty most populated cities.

Because if you or your fellow dunce-in-arms @Limbo Pete could do simple math, you'd realize that, no, in your backpedaling attempt to spin the precise figure you quoted for this area by arbitrarily downsizing it to 2m, which is the figure for the urban MA, hoping everyone accepts this figure as an alternative to admitting your blatant goof, you'd realize that the sum of the internal city-limit populations from the other cities in this metropolitan area when subtracted from the Portland MA reduces the total to far below 2m, derp. You're still talking about a huge MSA that covers many cities. All of those cities have their own homeless, their own populations, their own budgets.

Or, more simply, since I have to teach halfwits like you how to think, you could look at the entire population of Multnomah County, which is the county that seats the entirety of Portland, and the population of that county in 2023 is 789K.
Multnomah_OR.jpg

If you're going to cite an MSA, please, have the good sense to know wtf it is you're citing. It's mind-boggling that you're trying to save face, here, instead of quitely slinking off, and hoping nobody notices how much of a fool you made of yourself in this exchange.
19117593.gif

Back