Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

Whole lot of non-solution posts ITT.

I’ll tell you what is not a solution, allowing public camping in cities.

Do you keep the same energy for capitalist developers who actually destroy wildlife and wetlands?
Yes. When I first moved my subdivision was surrounded my woods, my street the last. 10 years or so later there’s barely any woods. Homeless in my area literally set up their tent cities on private property and destroy it, not just parks. Shelters snd outreach have rules and some fully take advantage and get off the streets, others refuse to go illegal drug free. They don’t want help getting on methadone. They leave needles littered in children’s play areas, in sandboxes. They don’t even use the city supplied garbage cans. They break into houses and sheds stealing anything to make living outdoors easier, or to sell for $$$.

Setting up shop on city sidewalks, on city trails, in front of stores, on the side of the road.

Where should they set up shop when there arent enough shelter beds or adequate affordable housing?

Setting up shop on city sidewalks, on city trails, in front of stores, on the side of the road.
What does setting-up shop mean? Camping ban is pretty misleading as people tend to think the ban is on tents only when in reality it's a ban on having a pillow, for example.

What does setting-up shop mean? Camping ban is pretty misleading as people tend to think the ban is on tents only when in reality it's a ban on having a pillow, for example.
In Austin, there was a period where people set up tents etc among city sidewalks. Are you in favor of that?

Where should they set up shop when there arent enough shelter beds or adequate affordable housing?
there are enough places and shelter beds.

I know you are in favor of just having a tent on the sidewalk.

In Austin, there was a period where people set up tents etc among city sidewalks. Are you in favor of that?
If there are enough shelter beds locally, no. If they're aren't, then it's one of the less bad options. On sidewalks isn't ideal but nor is concentrating them and creating skid row. If the city wants to create some area for encampment while crash course building shelter capacity, that's an option as well.

At any rate, your complaint isn't tied to the actual legal case given the legal case isn't just a ban on tents.

If there are enough shelter beds locally, no. If they're aren't, then it's one of the less bad options. On sidewalks isn't ideal but nor is concentrating them and creating skid row. If the city wants to create some area for encampment while crash course building shelter capacity, that's an option as well.

At any rate, your complaint isn't tied to the actual legal case given the legal case isn't just a ban on tents.
People ITT think you should be able to have tents which is why I commented.

It’s unrealistic to expect a homeless person to simply have a pillow and blanket and call it a day.

I’m in favor of how Austin wanted to spend the money but they mismanaged it.

We can and should build more shelters and communities.

Furthermore, would you all be in favor of a homeless person just sleeping in the doorstep of your business?

People ITT think you should be able to have tents which is why I commented.

It’s unrealistic to expect a homeless person to simply have a pillow and blanket and call it a day.

I’m in favor of how Austin wanted to spend the money but they mismanaged it.

We can and should build more shelters and communities.
Sure, the flipsids of this though is that almost no major city with a homelessness problem has enough shelter capacity. So there will be tents. And simply removing them or banning them won't solve the core issues if cities continue to not engage with the core causes of homelessness because of Nimbys and current homeowners.

there are enough places and shelter beds.

I know you are in favor of just having a tent on the sidewalk.

Lol, there are literally NOT enough places and shelter beds. Grant's Pass has essentially admitted this in the proceedings leading up to this case. And evidence has been posted that the ONE functioning shelter option is basically a cult-like religious facility where they must work for the facility for free and cannot look for outside work while they're there.

Furthermore, would you all be in favor of a homeless person just sleeping in the doorstep of your business?

This was the exact question asked to Houston businesses when their Housing First program was created.

That being said not all homeless people are useless, you know. The downtown gym I used to run, we had a long term homeless guy who a business allowed to shelter in an outdoor closet. That guy was awesome. He cleaned driveways every day, returned lost items from the alley, and called police on drug dealers when he had use of his phone. There's an elderly man in the shopping center at the gym I'm at now as well, he never bothers anyone. My kid dropped a truck outside, he found it and brought it to the gym.

Now I've also had my share of problems with some worse ones, but painting them all with the same brush is not a good practice.

Sure, the flipsids of this though is that almost no major city with a homelessness problem has enough shelter capacity. So there will be tents. And simply removing them or banning them won't solve the core issues if cities continue to not engage with the core causes of homelessness because of Nimbys and current homeowners.
It has to be city specific which is why I don’t see the SC doing a blanket ruling.

If the city has adequate shelter, you should be able to clear the streets.

Lol, there are literally NOT enough places and shelter beds. Grant's Pass has essentially admitted this in the proceedings leading up to this case. And evidence has been posted that the ONE functioning shelter option is basically a cult-like religious facility where they must work for the facility for free and cannot look for outside work while they're there.
I was speaking about Austin. This should be city specific. If there is adequate shelter, you should be able to ensure the streets are clear.

Maybe places where they can camp should be setup. A fenced in with registration and restrictions like no violence or drug dealers.

I wonder how many would want to use it. I'm going to guess not many.

It has to be city specific which is why I don’t see the SC doing a blanket ruling.

If the city has adequate shelter, you should be able to clear the streets.

There are going to be plenty that don't want to go to a shelter because they have rules that they have to follow. In fact I would say a majority would not go.

Back